Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2006, 01:44 AM   #1

I am installing winegard automatic satellite on 2000 Journey 36G and I need to know where I can connect hot wire and GPS and ground wire in overhead cabinet. Instrutions said to connect hot wire to 12 volt but not to any wires that is connected to converter intended for 12 volt lights and has power with ignition off. The GPS wire must be connected to 12 volts that is hot with ignition on so it can update while you are driving. Thanks for any suggestions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2006, 01:44 AM   #2

I am installing winegard automatic satellite on 2000 Journey 36G and I need to know where I can connect hot wire and GPS and ground wire in overhead cabinet. Instrutions said to connect hot wire to 12 volt but not to any wires that is connected to converter intended for 12 volt lights and has power with ignition off. The GPS wire must be connected to 12 volts that is hot with ignition on so it can update while you are driving. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:35 AM   #3

Hi pridetide. You can download a PDF Manual and installation guide from here:-

Manuals & Install

johnsandywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #4

Pridetide: ask this same question in the Winnebago Owners Forum (scroll down a few forums) and also include your model in your signature. Good luck
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary CA:
Pridetide: ask this same question in the Winnebago Owners Forum (scroll down a few forums) and also include your model in your signature. Good luck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pridetide,I have added a link to your question in the Winnebago Owners Forum in order that other Winnebago Owners may see this question and have an answer for you...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
hey Pridtide, My installer took the power from the back of my inverter, he said it would be cleaner 12 volt power. Seems to work great for my K5 dish.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #7

For the satellite antenna power I used the Winnebago wires. Simply looked them up in the wiring diagrams. They were just laying there.

For the GPS you may have to run down the A-pillar and into the dash for key power. Some part of your GPS system (the antenna?) will be powered up anytime the key is on?

I just uploaded pictures on my antenna install again. Once they are approved, I'll add some descriptions and let everyone know they are there.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't have the automatic dish, but this may still apply.
I have the Winegard digital elevation indicator and it was installed by a dealer using a built in 9 volt battery for voltage input, but it used batteries too quickly.
I called Winegard and they said the 12 vdc input needs to be very stable with no transients.
The voltage available behind the TV ant amp switch doesn't qualify as clean according to Winegard, so I got a 12 volt 3 terminal regulator IC from Radio Shack along with .01 mfd @ 50 volt and 450 mfd @ 50 volt capacitors.
I used it to regulate the 12 vdc (actually 12.8 at full charge and over 13 volts when the house or engine battery is being charged - whichever one is used) off the amp switch. It works well so far (several months).
if the current required by the automatic dish is in the range of the regulator IC - over one amp as I recall - you might do something similar.

FYI:
The .01 mfd cap goes from the input to ground, and the 450 fd goes from the output to ground.
The values are not critical and the voltage can be higher.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:03 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I took power for the sattelite from power input to my Winegard input selector box for TV. Works great after 4 months of service.