Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2005, 05:05 AM   #1

I have just got a Dish Receiver and need to know how to hook up cables.
I plan on adding the dish on top the RV in the near future but know I will still need to keep the portable dish.
I have a splitter box that will accept Aux, Ant, Sat.
To connect to this box for the roof mount would be fine. How do I connect the portable when needed? Us the jack on the outside where cable is hooked up? I am thinking I must do this or put a splitter for the roof and portable.
The box is not real convient to get to on a regular basis.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2005, 05:05 AM   #2

I have just got a Dish Receiver and need to know how to hook up cables.
I plan on adding the dish on top the RV in the near future but know I will still need to keep the portable dish.
I have a splitter box that will accept Aux, Ant, Sat.
To connect to this box for the roof mount would be fine. How do I connect the portable when needed? Us the jack on the outside where cable is hooked up? I am thinking I must do this or put a splitter for the roof and portable.
The box is not real convient to get to on a regular basis.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:05 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
E S Living, use the "Sat" connection on the Splitter box, installing a manual "A/B" switch to control the input from the two different sat dish inputs. The receptacle on the outside of the coach is probably for cable TV which may or may not have some extra electronic connections which will interfere with the sat signal which goes both ways from the receiver to the dish.

Hope this helps.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 11:12 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You need to remember that you are talking about 2 different signals here, even though they both use coax cable.

The TV is generally fed by a selector switch box, where you can select
"Antenna", "Satellite", "Cable TV", "VCR", and so forth. The signals input to this switch box are all called "RF" (Radio Frequency) signals. That's what comes off of a TV batwing antenna, out of a VCR, odff a campground's cable TV feed, and off the output of your satellite receiver. If this is what you have all you need to do is connect the Dish Network satellite receiver's output to one of the available inputs on your selector switch.

The other half of the equation is the microwave feed coming from the dish to your satellite receiver's inputs. This is not RF so you don't want to patch that into your RF routing selector switch. Normally the satellite dish is plugged directly into the SATV receiver's input. However, if you are going to use two different dishes (portable tripod mount and permanent rooftop mount) you will have two cables going to the input on your sateliite receiver. Rather than swap them every time you can install a seperate A/B switch to choose which dish you will be using at the moment. That's the way I have my system set up except that I have a dual LNB KingDome on the roof and two portable dish feeds so I just use two A/B switches to get the job done.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Unscrew the cable that comes from the utility compartment from the switch box. Then connect this cable to the input of your sat receiver. Connect the output from the sat receiver to either the sat input on the back of the switch box or if you don't have a sat input connect it to the cable inlet. Connect the portable sat dish to the cable input in the utility compartment.

You will then be able to send the output from your sat receiver to the front TV, rear TV or VCR via the switch box.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:06 AM   #6

Thanks for all the input. I ended up running a seperate cable for the satellite. This week end while at the campground, I was hooked to cable and could switch from satellite, cable, DVD, or antenna by the push of a button in front or back TV's. Note, the back and TV in the basement is a slave off the front TV when on satellite. This I can live with.
I am now on my next project of having a dish installed on the top. Called Damon and found out that my unit is prewired. Now just need to make up mind if I am going to fool with it or just have Camping World or Dealer do it.
Thanks again.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:04 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
E Z Livin...If you have Camping World do the install they have a policy of running their own cables through new holes in your roof. They told me that the majority of the time the prewired stuff isn't there. I didn't think anything about it until I looked on the roof and saw how they glued six feet of cables to the roof and drilled new holes. I later checked and my factory cabling was right where they said it would be. I was ******....too late to do anything now.

Camping World also ran only one to the switch box when there were two cables available on the Sat Dish. Now I'll have to run a second cable if I decide to get a DVR. Point of this is to find your own prewired cables and make them use those.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 04:16 AM   #8

Thanks Diplomat Don. I would have never thought Camping World would not have used the factory wires. And no, I would not like a new hole in the roof to worry about. Good timing on your response.