Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Satellite TV Question

My new to me Phaeton has a Winegard MV3500T in motion satellite/dome. I contacted Winegard to purchase a compatible Direct Tv Receiver and they told me that when I call Direct TV to activate it, not to tell them it is for my RV... ??? We currently have Direct TV home service, but wouldn't the Dish have to be activated along with the receiver? Anyone have any insight on this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #2

Only the receiver needs activated.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1texx View Post
My new to me Phaeton has a Winegard MV3500T in motion satellite/dome. I contacted Winegard to purchase a compatible Direct Tv Receiver and they told me that when I call Direct TV to activate it, not to tell them it is for my RV... ??? We currently have Direct TV home service, but wouldn't the Dish have to be activated along with the receiver? Anyone have any insight on this?
t1texx
Because you currently have DirecTV home service, (AND if your Winegard MV3500T in motion satellite/dome is configured for DirecTV), you can simply take a DirecTV receiver from your house and hook it up in your coach.
No need to call DirecTV and buy anything ...(or pay an additional fee).

That's what I do in my coach with a roof mounted KingDome.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is correct. You mention RV to DirecTv they go brain dead. I was attempting to get them to send me an empty box and return label to return a dvr that has a fried hard drive. All I wanted was the box and label at an address different from my service address. I distinctly told them the receiver and I were not at that address. Twice they sent it to my service address. I have not lived there in seven years but did not tell them that. I have been with them so long I have both east and west coast DNR networks and was told by a tech. not to lose that contract.
Your dish should activate itself using a gps and has nothing to do with DirecTv. At least that is the way it is with my Trv'lr slimline.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:15 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Camping world sells the boxes around $80 or you can lease one for around $10 from direct tv. I bought mine and called direct tv to activate it with no issues. It is $5 a month for a extra box but if you buy your box keep telling them that because they will charge you for something you own. Just remember you will not get your local channels when you are over 100 miles from home. On mine if I let it set for 2 months and I try to use it no go for me. I have to go through the call to them and just before they transfer me to a human it comes on.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:41 PM   #6

We've had DIRECTV in our motorhomes for nearly 15 years. We started with it there then added it to the house. We have receivers for both places because there are often relatives at the house when we're out of town. The cost to rent a box for the motorhome and have a separate service is an additional $13.00 per month. We can suspend the motorhome service by monthly increments and save the service fee. We rarely do it because we never know when the urge might hit us to travel for a few days or weeks.

As for refreshing the signal we do it on a regular basis for the motorhome. Anytime it sits more than 30 days without power it has to be refreshed. It's a simple process of going to their website and hitting the "Reauthorize My Receiver" button. You don't have to talk to anyone and it takes less than 5 minutes to get back in business.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:55 PM   #7

If you have a SWM switch based system in your house you may have to change the receiver's settings to match the Winegard dish. My coach with the receiver is not here now and I can't remember what to set it to besides a round dish.

The first home receiver that I tried to use would not hold the new settings so DTV sent me a new one.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you for all the info! It was very helpful!! I'm going to try out one of the old boxes from my kid's room today!
Old 05-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
Camping world sells the boxes around $80 or you can lease one for around $10 from direct tv. I bought mine and called direct tv to activate it with no issues. It is $5 a month for a extra box but if you buy your box keep telling them that because they will charge you for something you own. Just remember you will not get your local channels when you are over 100 miles from home. On mine if I let it set for 2 months and I try to use it no go for me. I have to go through the call to them and just before they transfer me to a human it comes on.

My receiver forgets if I let it sit too long. I just log on to their web site and reset the receiver. No talking to anyone and takes less time. Try it!
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Will give it a try. Thanks
Old 05-17-2016, 10:35 PM   #11

We have had DirecTV for years at Home & RV. A extra box cost's $5 a month and I switch it between my 2 Motorhomes all the time. I keep the DirecTV number in my phone, so if it needs re-activation it's easily without talking to anyone. They have always been really helpful with any problems and you don't have to " hide" that a box is in your RV.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:30 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
We have had DirecTV for years at Home & RV. A extra box cost's $5 a month and I switch it between my 2 Motorhomes all the time. I keep the DirecTV number in my phone, so if it needs re-activation it's easily without talking to anyone. They have always been really helpful with any problems and you don't have to " hide" that a box is in your RV.
X2

Except for the receiver switching I too have found them helpful at times.

Tags
satellite, satellite tv