Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2014, 12:14 AM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroethke View Post
I certainly did not pay anywhere near 1K for my silverleaf see below. Then I just got a used tablet on ebay and now I have a great engine/drivetrain monitor.

Silverleaf VMSPC6 VMS To 6 Pin Diagnostic Port Complete Engine Monitoring
OP stated that he's not interested in the VMSpc. (I have it and like it, have used the same setup on two rigs since 2000).

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2014, 05:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi az99,
I have the ScanGage D. It works as advertised and I would make the purchase again. It does what I want. Simple to install and program. Easy to read and understand. Mine is mounted to the left and above the parking brake pull knob. Go to Scan Gage D - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery for a picture of the install.
I just have to ask. What is the big padlock for on your parking brake?

Old 01-21-2014, 03:10 AM   #17
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
I just have to ask. What is the big padlock for on your parking brake?
I thinks a little knee jerk engineering is going on here. Somebody disengage the parking brake that wasn't suppose to?
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I made that statement based on their websites FAQ where it states they support Diesels with OBDII. They didn't mention the various connections.
Good thing you brought it up.

I just now went to their site to see if they sold an adapter to cover various connectors but the site wasn't working from some of their links.

By the way, $69 is what you are going to pay. They have a $9 mail-in rebate but that requires you to jump through a bunch of hoops with the gauge. After playing with the rebate test for a half hour I decided it wasn't worth the effort for $9.
Just so it's clear, the problem with many of these devices isn't the support for diesel engines, it's the connector. There are a lot of inexpensive devices available for OBDII connector but it's hard to find inexpensive devices with J1939 or J1708.

Passenger cars have been mandated to have OBDII connectors for about 15 years now. There's no such requirements on heavy trucks (yet) so most (all) DPs don't have OBDII.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #19

I have the Silverleaf system and it didn't cost anywhere near $1,000! I use an old 10+ year old laptop with it and it works fine. It's a totally different product and has many more capabilities than the Scangauge system.

You get what you pay for.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
I have the Silverleaf system and it didn't cost anywhere near $1,000!
Please provide a link to any Silverleaf system under $1,000. For the 3rd time I said in the OP not the VMSpc.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Please provide a link to any Silverleaf system under $1,000. For the 3rd time I said in the OP not the VMSpc.
Here ya go...

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Pigtai...-p/vmspc20.htm

$306.25 for the Interface box and pigtail, which is all you need. Add an old laptop (the one I'm using is around 10 years old) and you've got it. The laptop does a better job of displaying data than the Silverleaf display. You can set up the screen almost any way you want and monitor dozens of operational parameters at the same time. The next time I'm at the coach, I'll fire it up and take a screen shot of how I have mine set up.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #22

Seriously?
Old 01-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #23

Yes...seriously. You can stop banging your head against the wall now.

In your OP you said:
  • I have had mixed results with the ScanGauge D
  • The SilverLeaf units are so expensive they don't even put the price on their site.
  • All units are well over $1,000.
  • The cost difference in the products is shocking.
  • I am not interested in the VMSpc unit. (emphasis mine)
You say you are not interested in the VMSpc unit, but you don't want to spend the money for the full Silverleaf system (including its display unit.) Yet you can get all the benefits of the Silverleaf system for just over $300 and an old laptop computer, using the VMSpc unit. You can monitor almost everything that's going on in your coach, and you can customize the display almost any way you want it.

Here's how I have mine set up:

The engine is not running in this shot, but you get the idea.

Instead of reacting with sarcastic head-banging, perhaps you should realize that there are people here who are trying to help you see an alternative that will do what you want it to do. Given that you don't want to spend a grand on the full Silverleaf system, this is the best - and ONLY - alternative.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:23 AM   #24

I am banging my head only because you continue to discuss the VMSpc unit which I am not interested in and keep posting it as an under $1,000 unit. I KNOW THAT. In the OP I said they had nothing else under $1,000. I posted it 3 times and someone else also posted it.

I am not disputing that it is a good unit and I am glad you like yours. But I am not even slightly interested in dragging around a laptop and cords to monitor a few engine functions.

Thanx for trying to help.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #25

I'm using the ScanGauge D. While I think the Silverleaf is impressive, again you have to have a separate laptop, place to mount, electrical connections, etc. From what I can see, the ScanGauge D has all the readouts that the Silverleaf has, you just can't see them all on one screen. That said, many on the Silverleaf I have no interest in, or a remote interest.

My Freighliner dashboard gives me voltage, oil pressure, water temperature and fuel level. My eyebrow panel I watch water temperature (because I like to see the exact reading), Average MPG and Oil Pressure. My scanguage is programmed for Boost, Instant MPG, Transmission Temp and Intake Air Temp. Other things like HP, Transmission selector (already have that on the console), MPH, Fuel Used, Fuel to Empty etc., I really don't care much about. I can see when I need fuel.

I like my ScanGauge.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #26

Quote:
...But I am not even slightly interested in dragging around a laptop and cords to monitor a few engine functions...
I should have taken a wider shot of my laptop installation so you could see how it is installed. I don't drag around anything...the computer and the wires (power and data from the Silverleaf) are permanently installed under the dash in the coach. The laptop is used ONLY for this purpose and it stays in the coach all the time. It is sitting on the dash about in the middle, which places it just to the right of the driver's position. No mount, no tie down...it just sits there on the dash. It's been there for about 10,000 miles so far and has never moved.

If you don't have an old laptop, you can pick one up for $85 on Ebay. This one is almost identical to the one I have. It does not have to be a GOOD laptop. Mine runs Windows XP and is around 10 years old.

I'll take a wider angle shot so you can see the placement of the computer and the wires. It might be easier than you think.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Seriously?
I think you just found out that some people don't read
Old 01-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I think you just found out that some people don't read
Yes...and for some people it's the old scenario...My mind is made up! Don't confuse me with the facts! (or in this case, alternatives)

Forget it...I'm all done in this one.