Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2018, 07:59 AM   #1

School us on BRAKES for our TRAILERS

I'm ordering a utility trailer in order to replace the tow dolly we've used. It will be tandem axle and total weight of trailer and car will be 6,500 pounds, so no problem with our hitch rating (10,000)

These trailers generally come with electric drum brakes, but my trailer experience is mostly with boat trailers, and they use surge brake systems.

I'll be towing with a 40' American Eagle with air brakes.

My questions are:
a. are surge brakes as important as I think they are when going downhill? We don't go to the Rockies, but often to the western NC area.

b. the surge brake actuator is a bolt-on unit. Question is whether electric brakes use standard hydraulic hoses from tongue back, or is it a Big Deal to change one to the other type? (I don't know whether I can spec surge brakes from the supplier...)

c. if using electric brakes, does the 7-pin connector become the only device, or will I need an electric controller, too?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2018, 09:00 AM   #2

Both systems are effective the benefit of electric brakes is you can manually control them from an Electric Brake Controller (answered your last question) The other advantage is you can back up without having to lock out the surge brake assembly.

I've heard of people going down steep grades and when they reach the bottom, the brakes on their trailer are smokin' red hot as the weight of the trailer has pushed the mechanism forward thus applying the brakes when not necessary but, I've never actually seen this happen, only heard about it
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:04 AM   #3

Good point about a sensitive surge brake. They're supposed to activate when there's a sudden push, and supposed to dis-engage when there's constant force.

What is the process of installing a brake controller then? That would eliminate wondering about it IF your controller (you) know what you're doing.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
b. the surge brake actuator is a bolt-on unit. Question is whether electric brakes use standard hydraulic hoses from tongue back, or is it a Big Deal to change one to the other type? (I don't know whether I can spec surge brakes from the supplier...)
c. if using electric brakes, does the 7-pin connector become the only device, or will I need an electric controller, too?
Electric trailer drum brakes are totally electric, ( no hoses) activated from a dash board controller , that powers magnets, on a lever inside the drum. The lever pushes the shoes against the drum.
Important to purchase a full proportional electric trailer brake controller , because some coaches activate the brake lights when the exhaust brake/engine brake is in use and the wrong controller can overheat the trailer brakes.
There are no common parts between surge and electric trailer brakes .
JMHO: For trailer control in a, bad trailer sway situation , electric trailer brakes have a definite advantage.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #5

....so if my coach doesn't have a controller, is it a big deal to run wire to the dashboard (no) but is there any calibrating to do? If so, how so?
Old 05-21-2018, 09:28 AM   #6

You may want to check with other owners of your model of coach as it may already be wired. An easy way to tell is if you have a 7 pin plug in the back of your coach. ""USUALLY" the wire going to the electric brake controller is blue but don't put money on that. Brake controller wires are usually bundled up somewhere around your steering column and the firewall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-pin-trailer-wiring-diagram-7-way-trailer-wiring-diagram-7-blade-trailer-plug-wiring-diagram-tr.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	203663  
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's what is going on inside the brakes on an electric set-up:

This style needs a controller at the driver's seat. And unlike surge brakes, the "gain" needs to be set by the driver on the controller for the weight of the trailer (like loaded to unloaded) or it will lock the brakes when unloaded.

We are not affiliated.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
....so if my coach doesn't have a controller, is it a big deal to run wire to the dashboard (no) but is there any calibrating to do? If so, how so?
The instruction sheet included with the controller has all the information needed for adjusting the controller to fit your equipment.
Use #10 wire to run the length of your MH from controller to trailer plug, otherwise you may experience voltage drop. #10 wire may not fit into the trailer wire lug, so squeeze in all you can and trim off excess closely so it won't interfere/touch with adjoining lugs/connections.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:42 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It seems you understand Surge brakes well.

Electric brakes do not use hydraulic

Instead WIRES carry electrical power to magnets. when the magnet engages he "Grabs" the inside face of the brake drum (Not the band where the brake shoes brake. but the flat face) the friction moves them in the direction of travel and they operate a cam which replaces the brake slave (Wheel) Cylinders applying the brakes.

NOTE. if you have a TT and when unhooking it starts rollind down hill there is a tempetation to grab the safety cahin to stop it. Bad choice

Grab ehe break away cable. THat will stop it FAST.

Tags
brake, brakes, trailer