Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #1

Schumacher vs Trojan

I replaced my four 6 volt Interstate house batteries, that lasted 14 years, with 4 Trojan T105s in February 2016. They were fully charged and maintaining at 6.3 volts each.
They are hooked in series and in parallel, that is the way the MH came to me.

Now the facts:

I have a Tripp-Lite PowerVerter DC-to-AC Inverter/Charger.
I run the Onan 7500 Generator 30 minutes, under load (air conditioners running, etc.) to recharge the batteries and exercise the generator.
I do NOT have a shore power outlet to keep the motorhome plugged into.

Now the problems:

I went the other day to start the generator and it wouldn't start so I used the chassis batteries for an extra nudge and it kicked right over.

I then checked the voltage of each house battery and they were 5.1 to 5.0. I then checked for the sources of a phantom voltage sipher and could not find a single thing running or drawing power. Ok no problem I just shut off all main power switches and starting charging the batteries.

Now here is the real problem.

1. You cannot find a good battery charger for under $100 bucks that lets you set the battery type (Std, AGM, GEL), battery voltage (6/12), the charge rate (2/6/10/20), and has a timer for setting the charge time yourself. In other words a manual one.

So I bought a new Schumacher SE1000 series auto battery charger/maintainer that would auto detect 6/12v, deep cycle, and charge on 10a and maintain on 2a. I unhooked all wires from the battery were it would stand alone. Well the charger charged for 1 1/2 days and the green fully charged light came on the charger. I checked the battery voltage and it was 6.22. Per Trojan Tech Support Website and per James Trojan tech support the battery should be at 6.3 to 6.45 for a full 100% charge. And Per James you should charge the batteries up to 8 to 9 volts every so often to work the batteries and they will last longer.

I then took the Schumacher SE1000 series auto battery charger/maintainer back to O'Reilly's and got another one. Thinking maybe the charger was bad. Nope the new charger did the same thing. So I took it back.

I then called Trojan battery distributors and found out that Trojan recommends Pro-Logic chargers. They are more expensive than Schumacher but better built.
Anyway I bought the PL2320 charger from Bumper to Bumper, put it on the battery, and it showed the battery was 30% charged and immediately starting charging at 8 volts, 10 amps. I will have to wait to see when it turns green if the battery is between the 6.3 to 6.45 that Trojan says is 100%.

I will also have to check to see if my Inverter/Charger is bad. The Onan 7500 should be putting out enough amps to charge the batteries while it is running.

I also will install a 50a power outlet my on storage building to plug my motorhome into the Inverter/Charger to charge the batteries. I only have 20 amp service to my storage building but the inverter/charger should have more than enough to charge the batteries if all other sources of power drain are turned off.

What do you think? Have you had issue with Schumacher software and Trojan batteries?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 10:02 PM   #2

What do I think? You asked so....
You are not letting your inverter charger do its job. 30 minutes is not nearly enough time. To get your batteries up to full charge you need to let the generator run for several hours depending on how badly they are discharged. It is amazing how often a neophyte comes on here saying they can't charge their battery with 30 minutes of charging.

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:15 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Schumacher vs Trojan

As for battery chargers, I like my CTEK charger. I have the 7002 model. It is an 8 stage smart charger.

http://smartercharger.com

I have lifeline AGMs but this charger also works well with flooded cells like yours. Like the earlier post, I would think that the time required to charge is typically longer than 30 minutes.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:30 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I figure it will take 2 hours of runtime to bring our bank to 80% charge. To get the next 20% will take at least another 2 hours.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Perhaps the Pro Logic is a better charger than the Schumacher, but that's not really the issue. As others have said, you aren't letting the batteries charge long enough to reach 100% (6.3v+). And personally, I would charge them as a 12v system, not individual 6v batteries. Hook up whatever charger you use the same as the wiring on the coach, to the + on one and the - on the other.

If your onboard charger, or the extra one you bought, cannot get the entire battery bank up to snuff (12.6v or better). odds are you have either a bad wire connection somewhere at the batteries, or a bad battery. One weak point will drag the whole system down.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #6

Read up on the battery chemistry. Roughly 4 hours to fully bulk charge then most of a day at float to get fully charged. Yes, you can push it harder than that but it causes excess heat thus boiling off electrolyte among other issues.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:52 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Im still tryin to wrap my head around GC-2's goin 14 yrs.
skypilot_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Im still tryin to wrap my head around GC-2's goin 14 yrs.
Ya I thought the same thing but the date code on the batteries don't lie. I also checked there water level each month before charging. There were the best batteries I ever owned be it for cars, truck, lawn mowers, etc.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:29 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie143 View Post
Ya I thought the same thing but the date code on the batteries don't lie. I also checked there water level each month before charging. There were the best batteries I ever owned be it for cars, truck, lawn mowers, etc.
Definitely within the realm of possibility. My DW's HHR battery is in its tenth yr and at 92% cap. Have had T-105s and got 7 yrs. They still had decent capacity, but were weeping and bulging. I've heard of stationary wet cell railroad batteries that were still in service 50 yrs later.
skypilot_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #10

Update

My original question was about Schumacher battery chargers vs Trojan batteries.

I found that Schumacher software in their SE1000 series chargers isn't designed to charge Trojan deep cycle batteries up to 6.7 to 7 volts before shutting off. Per Trojan that is what it takes for them to eventually settle down to 6.45. The Pro Logic by Solar was charging them at that rate before it sensed a bad battery.

Update:

I charged the batteries, completely free from any cables or hookups and charged them with the Pro Logic 2320 on 10 amp charge. The charge took 1 1/2 days and when I looked at the charger it was blinking ERR.

I took all 4 Trojans T105s back to the dealer I bought them from and he also charged them. All four batteries would charge then drain down to below 70% and keep draining and would show no reading on specific gravity. So he replaced all 4.

The new ones all read 6.3 volts with 1.250 specific gravity. I plan to charge them up to 6.45, per Trojan policy, and then install them in the motorhome.

I also have the electric company coming to put in a meter on my building so I can run a 50a power outlet for the motorhome.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and info.