Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2014, 02:29 AM   #1

Scooter hauling racks

Checked out the new Buddy 170i scooters this afternoon. The salesman told me that there are "bike" racks made for hauling the scooter. Am wondering if anyone out there has heard of such a thing and where might they be available.

Plus, what is the general opinion of getting a scooter to do short trip run-arounds compared to towing a car/truck? According to the brochure this scooter gets approximately 100 mpg and will travel at 55 mph or better.

Need any and all advice.

Thanks.
iquilt888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2014, 05:24 AM   #2

Yes, they do have such racks. Scooters can be very handy for short jaunts and some of them have an astounding amount of storage.

However, if you have a longer Class C for instance, you may have a problem adding that much weight that far back.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iquilt888 View Post
Checked out the new Buddy 170i scooters this afternoon. The salesman told me that there are "bike" racks made for hauling the scooter. Am wondering if anyone out there has heard of such a thing and where might they be available.

Plus, what is the general opinion of getting a scooter to do short trip run-arounds compared to towing a car/truck? According to the brochure this scooter gets approximately 100 mpg and will travel at 55 mph or better.

Need any and all advice.

Thanks.
Well Sir,
Your first mistake here is, LISTENING TO A SALES PERSON! But, in your defense, going to one of them ( a sales person) might be your only resource for the info you're aiming at. There are quite a few folks out there in RV land that have and do, haul various forms of scooters and small motorcycles.

Now, as has been suggested, you may need to do a little homework on your present RV to see what, if any, or, how much extra weight you can add, to the very rear of the coach. Find your "GVWR" and the GAWR of both the front and rear. You more than likely have plenty of left over weight carrying capability in your rig but, do check to be sure.

Now, there's a zillion types and sizes of "scooters" out there so, in my opinion, don't just jump on the first one you see because the "salesman" coerced you into it. Obviously a more powered one will be larger and more heavy. You can never have enough power. You'll have to determine what's important to you.

As for carrying it, well, you'll have to be careful there. Stronger is always better. A single receiver rack is, in my opinion, not a very good route to go. There's way too much potential for movement and unstable operations. A "three-receiver" unit is considerably more stable and safe. Yep, they cost a tad more but, in the end, it's the stronger and way more safe way to go.

I've hauled small and large motorcycles on racks, lifts, trailers and now, in the back of our toad, a full sized GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab. But, I'm hauling a 900 lb. Honda Goldwing so, that's a bit different from what you're trying to haul around. In the end, you want to be sure your little run-a-round scooter is safely loaded, tied down correctly and of course is, easily loaded and unloaded.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iquilt888 View Post

Need any and all advice.

Thanks.
We used to have a Yamaha 125 scooter and used a class three cross ramp hitch to haul on our class A MH. The thing was very handy and easy to load, unload and ride.

I still have the bike carrier and it's for sale in NE Oklahoma. It will easily handle 350 lbs. Send me a PM if you are interested.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a receiver hitch mounted double scooter hauler that I use to transport our two Honda Ruckus scooters on the back of our DP. After wasting money on a cheap rack, I bought a Versahauler rack a few years ago and it has been great!
Versahaul has both one and two place racks / haulers... Just make sure your receiver hitch and suspension can handle the extra weight on the back of your rig.
For mor information look up VERSAHAUL on the internet.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #6

Carrier

Used one off these for years. Carried scooter and 450cc motocross bikes with it.
500 lb Steel Hitch Mount Motorcycle/Dirt Bike Carrier | Princess Auto
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	135
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	77373  
Old 11-14-2014, 06:18 AM   #7

I have a Versa Haul for sale it anyone is interested.
Geneb1737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scooter