Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Scotty, I Need more power... 1997-460-F53

I have a '98 Gulf Stream 32.5' gasser with a 460 Ford powertrain. It seems to pull the hills OK, I can pass the loaded 18 wheelers pretty good, but some other gassers leave me in the dust.
I am looking to add a towd of 4200 GVWR 4 wheels down and I am concerned about having enough power to get up the hills. Looking at the Banks Stinger cat back exhaust and air intake mod system. Wondering if anyone has this system without the Banks Headers? Says it will add appx 45 HP. Trying to keep within a small budget to add enough power to pull the towd. Anyone that has any input would be greatly appreciated!

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Try looking at Gibson, they also make header systems at a much lower price. You won't be happy with a cat back only system.

Cat Back Exhaust Systems by Gibson Exhaust. For Trucks, SUV, Diesel, side by side, sandrail, RV, and Marine. Performance Exhaust and Mufflers for the Enthusiast

Sammie

Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your 460 manifolds are going to be shooting bullets ( stud bolts) if you do not get headers of some type. Plus crack the headers.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:39 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Found Gibson complete dual exhaust p/n 956005 for $1250.00 but no provision for cat convertor (California mods not allowed)
Found Banks headers and y-pipe to fit single factory cat convertor for $1150.00 Should I get the Banks and fit it to the stock cat back exhaust?

Old 08-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Banks makes very nice headers and exhaust but they cost the most.

If you are trying to minimize your expenses, I put Hedman Elite coated headers and a full Flowmaster exhaust on my '95 F53/460 all for just under $1000 by doing the job myself. I didn't have a converter but I don't see why it could not be cut into any aftermarket exhaust system. Worst case is you might have to have a muffler shop do some of the work.

Let me know if you need more info.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm not sure if anyone make them for your application, but Tri Y headers give you the most mid range power.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to saduncan1
Late model 460's fords run the cam timing retarded to meet Fed emmisions spec's. Earley model 460's have advanced timing kit, new gear and chain!! more torque and power. Check with your ford hot rod people, Less money more bang for your buck, and you will still met emmisions standards.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by saduncan1 View Post
Late model 460's fords run the cam timing retarded to meet Fed emmisions spec's.
You might want to browse on over to the forums at 460 Ford Forum - Powered by vBulletin. Those boys are quite knowledgeable and from what I have read there, the 460's only used the retarded timing gears on the carbureted motors thru the 80's. When they switched to fuel injection ('89/'90) the timing was "straight up" so replacing the gearset on a 1998 won't help. Some folks do recommend advancing the base timing several degrees on the 460 as they claim it can handle more without pinging, but I haven't tried it yet.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nick, with your headers and exhaust, are you able to tow much weight uphills?

Old 08-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wannabe,

I wish I had a good answer for you but I don't tow. Not that I don't want to, I just don't have a toad or trailer to work with yet.

I will say this much. With the stock manifolds and exhaust, the motorhome would barely get out of it's own way. The slightest hill would make it downshift and rev up but there wasn't any extra power.

After the headers and exhaust, now it moves along the way I expect it to. It will now easily pull smaller hills without downshifting and when a down shift does happen it results in extra power not just more noise. It is no hot rod but with over 18K lbs to push along I think it is doing just fine and would easily handle a small toad or trailer.