Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #15

I have been reading IRV2 for 3 days now, scouring many different threads to determine if the problem i was having with my A/C Clutch fuse blowing (2008 Endeavor) was common, or had been encountered and solved by others. Here is what I discovered today. I had to join IRV2and share my story

A heavy duty mechanic with A/C experience told me that the a/c clutch is very durable and he doubted that the problem would be with the clutch.
I scoured over the wiring diagrams and finally had a plan.

I unplugged the single wire at the clutch. I also unplugged the contactor in the fusebox which controlled the clutch. I discovered that the wire feeding from the contactor to the clutch was shorted to the chasis somewhere.

I ran a fused 12volt + wire from the battery to the clutch plug. i could hear the clutch engage when i made contact. no fuse blew. Clutch was OK.

I quickly cancelled the appointment I had made yesterday at the auto A/C guy who was happy to replace the clutch AND compressor as their was no clutch kit available! $1200 saved!

I traced the wire in the harness near the fusebox (labelled a/c clutch) bared the wire a bit and again confirmed that it was shorted to ground.
I then cut the wire and ran a temp wire from where the circuit left the fusebox to the clutch plug (at engine) installed a fresh 20 amp fuse and re-installed the contactor... ALAS everything worked. Me and my Journeyman Electrician wife spent 2 hours to properly install a replacement wire from the front fusebox where i spliced into the clutch wire to the clutch ( We ran a #10 wire so no excessive heat or current draw would be had by drawing 20 amps on a #14 wire) ....I may have to install a 25 amp fuse at some point but will check actual amp draw with my DC clip on ammeter some day and decide then. We left the abandoned shorted wire in place for fear of causing more damage to the wiring harness by trying to remove it. No more hot drives... AAAHHH. ( Thanks Sheila )

Keven (Master Electrician)
GLAMPING is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #16

My original dash A/C post on my 2008 Endeavor was partially solved by correctly charging the refrigerant and replacing the fuse with a similar size circuit breaker. On a trip this summer, it would cool a little and then stop cooling. I checked the condenser fan amp draw and found that it was causing the circuit breaker to trip. I got a similar size fan kit from Autozone, installed it and the problem is solved. However, you must use a shower curtain behind the drivers seat to help it cool in 100+ degree temps and resort to running your generator with coach A/C to help out.
gbonner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch fuse, dash air, frigette