Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #1

Sealing roofs

Just purchased a 96 ford, Fleetwood coach class C. I discovered 2 days ago that I had a leak in the roof just above the front side window on the over cab bed. Upon inspection of the roof I noticed that the roofing material had pulled away from the molding cover and since my driveway has a slight pitch the water was pooling in the area where the roofing material meets the aluminum siding for the front of the cab. I sealed it with silicone seal and noticed other small spots that were opening up. My thought was to use the Dicor sealing tape (4" x 50') roll.

The covering material in some areas is glued to the roof and some areas it has come off the roof and I can push it back down with my hand.

After reading several old posts about roofing material, I'm sure it is still water resistant but can I tape up the seams along the molding and what to use to recoat the roof, or do I not need to worry about the roof and just go after the seams?

Larry
BARNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #2

Use Eternabond tape but now that you have used silicone you have created a problem of getting it cleaned off enough for anything else to stick as it leaves a residue. The roof type will determine what you can use to clean it. The only thing that I know of to remove silicone from paint is a product called Prepsolve (not sure if spelled right available at auto paint stores) but that may damage the roof. Maybe someone out there can help or do some research. Maybe the tape will extend out beyond where the silicone was.
Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #3

Thanks for your advise.

The silicone is a thin line and not globbed up. If I used 2 or 3" wide tape then I could go from the moulding to a clean spot on the roof covering with the silicone in the middle of the tape.

My concern is the roof material. It is not ripped in any place it is just where it comes in contact with the moulding.

Larry
Old 06-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #4

I have found 2 types of Eternabond for sealing RV roof.
One is called WEB SEAL and the other is ROOF SEAL.

Anyone know which one is better or should be used for sealing the seam at the roof and moulding?

Larry
Old 06-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #5

I have only used the roof seal but the web seal uses the same adhesive and it is powerful stuff, do not allow it to touch anything that you do not want it to stick to. The web seal may be more appropriate for your situation. I would recommend using the 4" and do the proper cleaning recommended for your type of roof be it EDPM, TPO, fiberglass or alum.. For instance you do not want to use any petroleum based cleaners on a TPO roof or anything that leaves a residue. Eternabond has the appropriate cleaners. Peel the backing as you go and use your free hand to smooth it down working from the center to the edges so as not to trap air bubbles. The rest of the roof may just need a cleaning and maybe a conditioner if rubber. Do a search on this site and others for more info., knowledge is the best way to attack the task correctly and avoid making a bigger problem.
Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote