Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2004, 03:49 AM   #1

Here's my perfect rig: A 40' deisel pusher, built on a Spartan Chassis, powered by a 400 HP Cummins engine, with basement A/C.

Newmar, Tiffin, etc. use Spartan, many use the Cummins power plant and Winnebago uses the basement air. Does anyone know of any manufacturer that uses all 3?

I'll continue dreaming..........wake me up if you've found my "perfect rig".
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2004, 03:49 AM   #2

Here's my perfect rig: A 40' deisel pusher, built on a Spartan Chassis, powered by a 400 HP Cummins engine, with basement A/C.

Newmar, Tiffin, etc. use Spartan, many use the Cummins power plant and Winnebago uses the basement air. Does anyone know of any manufacturer that uses all 3?

I'll continue dreaming..........wake me up if you've found my "perfect rig".
Old 10-04-2004, 05:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, everyone is different and has different ideas about what the "perfect rig" is so what fits one may not fit the other. But, you're specs sound amazingly similar to what I went through when we were looking for the perfect rig so I'll just detail my thought lines and you can see how that lines up with yours:

We had a Suncruiser 33V gasser. We were looking to go to a DP and did some checking. My Itasca dealer was also a Newmar dealer so we spent some time researching Newmars. We also spent a ton of hours at shows looking at other brands but we pretty much narrowed it down to Tiffin or Newmar.

After driving the Kountry Star with 330 Cat, '03 Dutch Star with 350 ISC, and '04 Dutch Star with 370 ISL we decided that it had to be the ISL. With Dutch Star that meant a Spartan chassis because the Freightliner came with a 330 Cat. We pretty much zeroed in on a DSDP with Spartan and 370 ISL but there were always a few items that didn't quite suit us on the Newmar product. While Newmar was a stellar rig as far as quality goes, the floor plans weren't always 100% to our liking, we didn't like the narrow slot of a passenger's side window, and the interior decor was too wild for our tastes. We then found ourselves gravitating towards the Mountain Air because of the better looking Raw Silk interior and the nicer amenities, many of which were standard in the MADP.

Then we found the Allegro Bus 40DP. Previously we had only seen 3 slide units that didn't work for us. We wanted a 2 slide unit because we have dual basement freezers on slide trays and didn't want to have a third slide hanging over those basement compartments. The 40DP floor plan was perfect. Tiffin used a higher storage bay door that gave us plenty of room for freezers. It also had a 2 slide floor plan where the washer-dryer was located midship rather than in the corner of the bedroom. This meant we could access it while driving or whenever the slides were in. It also had a hutch cabinet rather than the back bar style that was always hid by the main slide when retracted. It was one of the few RVs that featured a large passenger side window. We travel in very scenic areas and my wife wants to be able to see what's out there. It also came with the 400 ISL. While the 370 ISL was adequate on power, we found that the 400 ISL came with a true compression brake rather than the exhaust brake (as on the 370). This made a huge difference in stopping power on mountain grades. After pricing this coach we found it to be actually less money than the Dutch Star so we went with it. While I was expecting to be driving a Spartan chassis under a Newmar, I was now driving a Freightliner chassis under a Tiffin. Frankly, I haven't found a bit of difference between the DSDP/Spartan and the Bus/Freightliner as far as driving goes. They both handle great. My main reason for going with the Spartan at first was because of the engine availability. Trust me - you DO want the 400 ISL.

As far as the basement air goes - I've had it in my Suncruiser. I don't think it's better or worse - just different. I am glad I have the basement storage area back normally taken up by that unit. I find that there isn't much difference between a quality ducted dual rooftop unit like Tiffin or Newmar uses and the basement air. Plus, with my Bus I get dual zoned heat and air conditioning. There's separate thermostat probes in the bedroom and living area which makes for a big increase in comfort level.

We really love this coach and have found it to be the "perfect coach" for us. Workmanship, utility, and performance are all excellent. Of course, what worked for me may not be exactly what you want, but I bet we're close.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:41 AM   #4

Thanks Cruzer for the very helpfull and detailed reply. I now have more information to continue my search for the "perfect rig". Congratulations on your Allegro Bus. Wishing you many happy miles.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:48 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just bought my "dream Rig" It has two bathrooms. When Momma wants to use the bathroom she doesn't give a hoot if it's gas or diesel. And it's Momma who approves the rig. The two bathrooms sold it!
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:28 AM   #6

I tend to muse upon the concept of "dream"; an idea superimposed upon a continuum that ranges anywhere from totally unrealistic, never-to-be realized fantasies; all the way down to your very worst nightmare! :-)

In viewing your selection of manufacturers who have managed to make your short-list, it's pretty evident that you've done your homework, and know what you are doing.

A basement A/C is certainly not something we'd include at the top of our "pro-list". While some regard basement A/C as the greatest innovation since Swiss-Cheese; others are somewhat less than enthusiastic about a 2 ton air conditioner rumbling under their bed throughout the night. Having a front A/C blowing cold air, isn't something that's going to keep you awake at night.

Another downside to Winnie basement A/C, is that if the unit ever requires major surgery, the entire back wall of yer MH has to be removed to get the contraption out for servicing. :-(
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 02:26 PM   #7

At one time I too had thought that basement A/C was the way we would want to go on any new rig. Two things changed my mind; first, I did not want to give up basement storage. More importantly to me was if the basement unit goes down you are totally down; whereas, if one of the roof units goesdown you can limp with the other. But all in all it comes down to personal preference, good luck however you elect to proceed, Ken, '04 DSDP...
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 07:17 PM   #8
Red

What you are describing is a Winnebago Ultimate
Advantage or Ultimate Freedom. Unfortunately they quit making them in 2004 so you would be limited to a used one. I had a 2002 and now have a 2004. Neither had the 400 but the 370 isn't bad.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:55 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Why would the rear wall have to be removed when the entire unit is below the floor level. The only part in the rear wall is the duct work going up. The whole unit can be removed from underneath!
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:34 AM   #10

Friends

This looks like a good thread for us...as we mentioned in another thread that we are considering upgrading from Bigfoot slide in camper/F350 (see: http://duedall.fit.edu/yellow/bigfoot.htm) to either class C or class A. But as we look more we are considering that a used class A might give us the best value for our $$.

We plan to take plenty of time to look and to talk to as many RV owners as possible.

Here are a few boundary conditions we have decided on:
1. We prefer to consider around 32 feet, with 1-2 slides.
2. We prefer diesel to gasser but we need some owner's comments on this, as there seems to be considerable price difference, with gassers less expensive.
3. We are told by friend that Winnebago-Journey or Itasca is quite good.
4. We might someday tow a small vehicle

You out there with experience, can you give us yours experiences in diesel vs gas, As I told you we already have an F350 diesel and thus are familiar with the slightly better fuel mileage and stronger power and other benefits of diesel; I do all the routine maintenance (oil changes, fuel filters, air filters etc...and plan to do as much as I can on whatever we end up) Many class A rigs we see on the web are gassers; so you with gassers please send a few words. The engines on the rigs we are looking at are either Ford F10 or the 8.1 liter Chev/GMC....is one preferred over the other...I know this question may spawn some biased loyalties on Chev-GMC vs Ford. Many thanks, Hemi
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:08 AM   #11
Foz

If it wasn't for the Spartan chassis, you could go with an Itasca Horizon or Winnebago Vectra onb the Freightliner Evolution chassis. We upgraded to teh Horizon last season and are very happy with the unit. Of course we are Winnebago fans anyway.

We have the 400 ISL, independent front suspension. Rides as good as or better than the Ultimate we tested.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:52 AM   #12

Thanks, a friend also recommended the Winnegago/Itasca...40 foot is too long...we are foussing on the 32 foot....; the 32 foot Journey class looks very good...thanks
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:28 AM   #13

Found mine but can't afford it, the NEWELL.

Cheers, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote