Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #1

We have a 95 gulfstream that only has lap belts,
would like to install lap& shoulder belts, but dont know just where I could mount the shoulder retractor, has anyone else run into this and how did you solve the problem.
thanks in advance Bill
nostradumass is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #2

would like to install lap& shoulder belts, but dont know just where I could mount the shoulder retractor, has anyone else run into this and how did you solve the problem.
thanks in advance Bill
Old 10-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nostradumass:
thanks in advance Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill,

Most older motorhomes do not have the required structure for mounting a shoulder belt unless you upgrade to seats with them built in.

Our first motorhome was a 1995 Winnebago Vectra which we chose because of the steel caged drivers compartment that gave us shoulder belts mounted to steel frames and a drivers door.

What did GulfStreams support people reccomend when you called them?

If you have not called them yet here is the link to their customer service page:

http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/rv-customer-service.htm
Old 10-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
WELCOME TO THE FORUM... great thought- i have an '04 georgetown & it's only got a lap belt---makes me wonder how also.
post often and again welcome...
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:15 AM   #5

Here is a link to a captains chair with a built in shoulder belt:

http://www.rvandvansurplus.com/eshop...uctCode=099005
Old 10-30-2008, 01:36 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The framing around the window could be used. Most likely it is going to be aluminum but a bolt could be put through edge of the window frame and aluminum stud. Many times you can see the framing on an early dew point morning through the fiberglass skin.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:28 AM   #7

Thanks All, I am going to start with gulfstream support,and work my way up to the more expensive solutions like the new chairs.
I do have a drivers door so there probably is a frame where the door closes, thanks again and I will let you know how it all works out
Bill
Old 10-30-2008, 04:27 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
The chairs with the built in shoulder belt are probably more expensive than you think. They require additional floor reinforcement to take the added stress of holding the occupant in a crash.

Do your current lap only belts connect to the chair or the floor? Probably the floor.

joe
Old 10-30-2008, 05:09 AM   #9

Lap belts connect to chair, to a tube that runs at the rear and bottom of the chair
Old 10-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Wizard:
The framing around the window could be used. Most likely it is going to be aluminum but a bolt could be put through edge of the window frame and aluminum stud. Many times you can see the framing on an early dew point morning through the fiberglass skin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes however most shoulder harnesses attachments would require at least one 1/2 inch bolt or two 3/8 inch bolts with the nuts mounted in a steel frame or the bolts going all the way through with a 2 to 3 inch hard steel washer on the outside between the nut and the sidewall. You would not just use anything self tapping otherwise the shoulder belt would just be a decoration that could come flying off the wall and hit you on the back of the head in an accident.

I looked into this some time ago before I purchased my first coach and determined beforehand that it would be wisest to only consider rigs that were factory equipped with shoulder belts.

Lets face it, it takes a lot to stop a 200+/- lb weight in even a 20 or 30 mph crash. The forces involved can be tremendous.