Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #1

Secure small awnings??

Searched an did not see anything about small window and door awnings, only large shade awnings. Any suggestions or ideas on how to keep the small awnings secured during windy travel??? Had the door awning start to unwind during severe side winds coming across Arizona on I-40 last Saturday. I had zip-tied the large awning before we left on our Texas trip to prevent that scenario but didn't think the small awnings would be a problem....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i use the plastic belt type awning lock that i got at CW for my window awning. works great and is very easy and quick to use.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So far my window awnings have not posed a problem even is some pretty strong side winds but I can see it being a potential problem. It will be interesting to see if anyone has a good solution.

Zip ties on the main awning arms won't help. The wind gets under the awning and breaks or slips the ratchet letting the awning unfurl while the arms are still locked.
You need something to prevent the roller from turning. There are a number of solutions on the market. I use a homemade one. You can download the instructions HERE
Old 03-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Knock on wood we have never had a problem with our window awnings while traveling and I hope it stays that way. We do secure our main awning though.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
As a rule, anticipated over 40 MPH, I close the window awnings. Last night we had 40G55, and they were in for sure. Too expensive to take chances. Second time pulling them in in Southern Utah.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Take in window awnings during high wind. Learned the hard way when wind pulled the tie down bracket off the motor home. I use bungies on the door awning when traveling in windy areas.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman69 View Post
i use the plastic belt type awning lock that i got at CW for my window awning. works great and is very easy and quick to use.
Thx gman69 , saw that in the new catalog I got today !
Old 03-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
So far my window awnings have not posed a problem even is some pretty strong side winds but I can see it being a potential problem. It will be interesting to see if anyone has a good solution.

Zip ties on the main awning arms won't help. The wind gets under the awning and breaks or slips the ratchet letting the awning unfurl while the arms are still locked.
You need something to prevent the roller from turning. There are a number of solutions on the market. I use a homemade one. You can download the instructions HERE
Interesting thx Clay L
Old 03-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #9

I really wish people would READ AND UNDERSTAND a post before offering up some unrelated comments , but thanks , I usually don't drive around with the window awnings out..
Old 03-19-2014, 08:56 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My Carefree window awnings have no locks, and have "floated" out from the side of the coach several times and strong cross winds from that side. I created a "lock" for each with a rubber awning hanger tab and zip tie. One end of the hager goes into the awning rail, and the zip tie goes through the hole in the hanger and around the end of the roller shaft at the arm. It is quick and easy to put on or off, but does require a ladder. They have never moved when secured.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We got caught in some very big gusts driving across north New Mexico that basically made the awning over our slide-out into a sail. We pulled over and put the slide out and luckily it rolled back up, but it did it again within a mile. We then crawled to a rest area where luckily we were able to use a big rig as a wind shield. I climbed up on the roof and put two bungies around both ends. That at least got us through the wind. We took it into CW and they said that the retaining screw had come loose. Moral of the story, check screws.

But the question originally asked still remains. Is there a good, easy way to lock down these small awnings that doesn't require getting up on the roof each time?
Old 03-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My A&E slide top awnings came with an anti billowing arm attached. When the awning tries to unfurl a small arm contacts a plate on the side and prevents it. When the awning unrolls as the slide is extended the arm just misses the plate. The arm on my rear slide topper broke and had to be replaced. I had it done at the factory in Forrest City. It looks like it could be added to an existing slide topper. It might require a couple of holes to be drilled and maybe a couple of pop rivets. I don't remember if they used screws or rivets to attach the collar.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We have the aluminum covers on all ours and the awnings roll up under those and these cover over them. Have not had a problem. But just in case on the big one, hubby secured the arms with the electrical zip ties also.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:24 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As mentioned above, securing the arms on the main awning with zip ties or anything else will not do any good. The wind gets under the awning and breaks or slips the ratchet letting the awning unfurl while the arms are still locked. The metal covers don't help either.

Tags
awning