Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2016, 01:40 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My hard wired unit is in the upper left hand corner where it will not be forgotten and not easily removed by anyone

See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I still say if if there is going to be an issue that could include smoke or a small fire, I'd rather have it occur on the pedestal and not in my electric hold.

That is why I opted for the portable model. And I'd do it again.
wajell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #17

I can usually just put a padlock on the power box to keep the lid closed. Sometimes I don't bother locking it at all although I have 2 padlocks and steel cable.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:14 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine is unsecured with plans to hard wire at a later date.. Or rather "Soft wire"

For what I'm thinking google Hughes Autoformer Install Kit and that's basically how I'll do it.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:45 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just bought an 30ft extension cord and plug it into the middle between the coach cord and the extension cord and leave it locked in the basement. I am on my second coach with it and will take it to my next one also.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:17 PM   #20

I just use a padlock. It is barely larger inside the shackle than the diameter of the cords on my power cable and surge protector. I plug the surge protector into the power pole. I double over the power cord, align it with the surge protector cord, and secure the padlock over both cords. The "heads" of the surge protector and power cord are too large to be pulled through the shackle. The padlock cost a third of the cover and when I move to another rig, my surge protector not being hardwired, I can take it to the new one.
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:55 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Securing your portable surge protector to power pole in campground

I use a wire bicycle chain.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:46 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
In a previous 5th wheel, I secured it to the post with a chain, then covered the whole thing with a tire cover...anybody asked, I told them it was to keep the plugs dry.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:53 PM   #23

Our Progressive EMS has a tab on the input cable for applying a lock. We use a cable lock, not because we worry about someone taking it. Theft is not a big thing in the camping world. But then we have been full-timing only 10 years.

We do use the cable lock to take the strain off of the power pole receptacle. They tend to pretty worn in the first place without the bulk of the EMS trying to pull its plug out of the receptacle.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:17 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick50 View Post
Have you purchased it yet...If not purchase the hard wire one.
I'm not 100% with you. My hard-wired HW50C is still in the 5th wheel we traded for our current rig. I am liking the portability of the one we have now. I plug it into the pedestal as soon as we get on site and before dropping the bags. It gives me the OK before we proceed. There are pros and cons for both. I also use a cable lock for the EMS if I feel like it is necessary.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:43 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

I should have known I would get some really great responses.I did purchase the portable one.This is what I prefer and like others have said to each his or her own.What ever that means.Thanks everyone.Safe Travels.I will post some pics later when I figure out what I am doing.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:05 AM   #26

I use the plastic case with padlock for the last three years. My main concern was more with kids seeing it and taking it with them, then a fellow camper stealing it. Either way a security device will slow them down and that's the best I can hope for.........

Tags
campground, power