Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2016, 11:37 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Security Camera

Sometimes we like to take a quick run to the store or beach without the pups and would still like to keep an eye on them. Has anyone set up security cameras inside their RV to keep an eye on their dogs when the leave? if so what type of system did you use and how hard is it to set up?

Ohsirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 02:03 AM   #2

Unhappy

We've been happy with this one: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-FOCUS66-Wi-Fi-Monitoring-Camera/dp/B00K81OTP8

We last used it at Disney World to keep an eye on our dog. It was not too difficult to connect with our hotspot, and now connects automatically when turned on (must have an Internet connection in the coach). It works well in low light and offers motion, sound and temperature alerts. The phone viewing app is pretty good. We use the free service to view live video and receive alerts, but can also pay to get storage of recorded video. We only use the temperature alert as the sound and motion alert get to be a bit much - like every time our dog slightly stirred. The only problem I see is that you are dependent on their website to be up and running when needed. So farr not a problem.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:23 AM   #3

First let me say I'm a dog lover, and our Shepherd/Husky mix is about as mellow as you can get. But after 5yrs. of full timing the annoyance I've found is dogs who are otherwise well behaved, will bark incessantly when left alone. I've mentioned this to owners before, and have been told that their dogs don't do that. Then of course I've asked how they would know. In one particular case I even recorded the barking that when on for hours. When I played it for them, they called me rude. We have wheels, so we left the next day, after finding out they were staying for the winter as we were going to do. By the way management showed no interest in solving the problem which disappointed us. So we cancelled the rest of our winter reservation and went on down the hiway.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:07 AM   #4

You might look up the nest cam. https://store.nest.com/product/camer...FQdafgodOxgM5A
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #5

If you have an old smart phone running android you can use that. I have one set up in my living room of my house. It does not have a sim card. It is logged into my house wifi and I can monitor it from my cell phone. The free software is in the play store it is called "AtHome". It has a motion detector function that will send you an email when it detects motion. With the pups you might want to leave that turned off. If you are out of range of wifi it will use your data, but only when you are monitoring it. It can be set to record video and audio when it detects motion. Down side is it saves the recording to itself. When you are monitoring it you can record the real time video and audio to your cell phone.
You can also use an old cell phone to monitor power and sound an alarm if there is a power failure.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:41 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can buy a cheap <$20.00 dash cam on e-bay and use it for that purpose if you put a micro sd card in it. I bought two 16gb sd cards for 12 bucks but they are a fraction of that cost if you buy them from China.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:17 PM   #7

I use a camera called piper, not only do you get video but it will monitor if your dogs bark (sound detected) with a text but also will alert to power loss and most important to me text alerts for both low or high temps. Lots of options and easy setup, we have used it with both wifi and tethering from a phone if wifi is poor or nonexistent.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:43 PM   #8
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I use a $35 Raspberry pi and a USB camera attached to it to run The Mac Cam. So whether in the S&B or on the road, I can see my buddies...oh, they don't bark either, although Boko loves to mimic Clifford, the big red dog
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandringa View Post
I use a camera called piper, not only do you get video but it will monitor if your dogs bark (sound detected) with a text but also will alert to power loss and most important to me text alerts for both low or high temps. Lots of options and easy setup, we have used it with both wifi and tethering from a phone if wifi is poor or nonexistent.

So reading about it, my guess is that it will run off the batteries during a power loss? Will the camera still function on batteries ?

Thank you.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:51 AM   #10

Yes it runs on batteries (2AA) when power is lost and will send a text when the power is restored.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:05 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Yes it runs on batteries (2AA) when power is lost and will send a text when the power is restored.

Thanks for the information. Does it give you temperature as well?

Thanks again.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
First let me say I'm a dog lover, and our Shepherd/Husky mix is about as mellow as you can get. But after 5yrs. of full timing the annoyance I've found is dogs who are otherwise well behaved, will bark incessantly when left alone. I've mentioned this to owners before, and have been told that their dogs don't do that. Then of course I've asked how they would know. In one particular case I even recorded the barking that when on for hours. When I played it for them, they called me rude. We have wheels, so we left the next day, after finding out they were staying for the winter as we were going to do. By the way management showed no interest in solving the problem which disappointed us. So we cancelled the rest of our winter reservation and went on down the hiway.

Interesting response by the owners, I would be upset because that type of barking is a sign of stress and likely separation anxiety. I would have also been thankful to know that my dog was upset. We try to exercise our dog hard prior to leaving so he will sleep while we are gone, given the park doesn't preclude leaving him alone in the coach. We also don't leave him for very long either.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #13

Yes it gives you the actual inside temp and an outside temp based on the area that you are in, like from weather.com
Old 01-28-2016, 07:19 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Yes it gives you the actual inside temp and an outside temp based on the area that you are in, like from weather.com
Thanks of the information, I chatted to the rep today, I like what I hear. I just need to 100% know that this will work with our hot spot device.

I will probably purchase it from amazon, incase it does not work we can return it.

Thanks again..

Tags
camera