Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #15

I had the same concerns about "who dat?" in the dark. My solution was to buy a cheap fog lamp at Wally World and mount it above the door. The 55 watt light is aimed so that the area around the door is well illuminated and anyone outside can't see in the door window.Cost was about $15.00 and my time to install.I used a lighted switch (red)so as to not have the light on in error

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Seems like a lot of paranoia, if you really don’t feel secure, you shouldn’t be there.

Fred

Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #17

Really don't remember last time someone knocked on my door. Most of the time while we are camping the door is open. Screen door closed.
Merry Christmas to all

Russell
Old 12-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Paranoia? Yes I would agree but we all lock our home's front doors at night and cars when at the mall. A sensible dose of paranoia is not a bad thing. Yes you can go overboard I agree but I can see us stopping at right off the highway campgrounds, Wal-Marts and other one night stops that may be less than desirable but used out of necessity. In my years of camping I've never had a problem but after we retire we will be on the road a large portion of the year and in areas that we don't have much prior knowledge off. So for me when in the back of the coach in bed a motion detector porch light and a simple camera will give me a level of security I'm comfortable with. Perfect no, full proof no but works for us, some folks may need more some may need less.

Here is a wireless weatherproof intercom I found. The problem with most front door audio/video
systems is they are designed for a house and want to tie into the exsisting doorbell for power.

NTD2 | Chamberlain Wireless Indoor/Outdoor Portable Intercom | Home Security Store

Old 12-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #19

Bad guys are not polite enough to use intercoms.

I know many F/T RVers. None of them have intercoms or door cams and such.

Some have doorbells that came with the rig, but folks dont expect a doorbell, so they knock.

We have been F/T 2.5 years. In that time, we have had 1 knock. It was in daylight. It was a guy backing into the next site that wanted me to move my toad to make sure he would not hit it.

I had a neigbor that had blinking LEDs above his door. How many creeps would break into a door with blinking lights? Odds are they would choose another door. I have no idea if it was effective.

But some folks like gizmos and/or bling. And I have no problem with that.

Just sayin.....

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #20

For sure no shortage of items to buy for our coaches. I'll save for new shoes (tires). Lol

Russell
Old 12-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree they bad guy won't answer the intercom that's just the point if he doesn't explain why he's knocking then I don't get up out of bed to open the door or peak out the window. Not fool proof I know but maybe it gives you a few seconds to wake up, find those dern glasses and grab the big bad hiking stick. Its just one of many options I'm looking at. If I bought all the bling and do-dads I ever looked at then I would need to pull a cargo trailer to haul them around in. Its just fun to ponder and look at what I can spend my money on.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
Old 12-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #22

Here is a cheapie: Waterproof IP Camera with IR Cut [NCB543W] - $61.83

You can found the same models on Amazon. Super low cost!

Tags
camera, door