Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #29

FWIW the cutaway chassis used on a C are as purpose built as the MH chassis on an A. Especially the smaller A's. One major difference is that the cab offers air bags and a rollover cage that the A's do not.

I have also found that a lot of Ford dealers in the NE cannot get a MH in their shop so they do not want to service them. All the larger markets do have somebody that deals with Ford trucks who can and will do the work. You just need to look around. For basics also try big tire shops. Many routinely do brakes, inspections and oil change type stuff.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2014, 03:09 AM   #30

$40K more for the Sprinter Chassis? I don't think so!

To all those who advised me, I must say a hearty thanks! I'm at the Southern California RV Show right now. My brain is dazed, my eyes are dazzled, and my feet are sore.

It's a $40K difference in price between coaches on Mercedes Sprinter chassis vs. Ford V10 chassis -- the latter being the less expensive, of course. I can buy a lot of gas for $40K!

So while the Winnebago Via 25P, on the Sprinter chassis, is a beautiful critter, as is the Winnebago View, I now think my needs and income will be better met by a Minnie Winnie Class C 25B, or the Four Winds Class C 26A, both on the Ford V10 chassis.

Has anyone any observations on the quality of Winnebago RV construction versus Thor RV construction?

Again, I thank you for all of your generous help!

Old 10-16-2014, 04:36 AM   #31

Flame wars on Brands is really discouraged. On the other hand I'm betting most all would say by the Winnebago! 😜
Old 10-16-2014, 11:14 PM   #32

Thanks, Uncle Billy, and good point: I'll never flame a brand unless the sucker actually bursts into flames on me. I think the Four Winds is my #1 choice as of now, but it's hard to tear myself away from the Minnie Winnie 25B.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:32 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsquared View Post
Thanks, Uncle Billy, and good point: I'll never flame a brand unless the sucker actually bursts into flames on me. I think the Four Winds is my #1 choice as of now, but it's hard to tear myself away from the Minnie Winnie 25B.

😜 I don't think you will find many folks complaining about the Ford V-10, I read they are damn near bullet-proof. I'd never buy new, for two reasons. I can't afford it and they depreciate like a rock. Take a look at Nexus RV for class C, people seem too like em quite a bit.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #34

yes you are making the right decision ,have to according to your budget ,having no budget the other unit is better no question as to the Winnebago they are good.

good luck and happy camping

chip Winnipeg mb. canada
Old 10-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Go for the WINNEBAGO of course.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Having owned Winnebago in the past-I am/was really impressed with their online support by way of posted repair manuals, wiring diagrams, item location schematics and so on. I have not seen another manufacturer go the extent they do.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:39 PM   #37

Seems to be a lot of Thor quality problems lately. However if buying used, then hopefully any new-RV problems have been worked out.

One thing to consider, especially since you are now leaning to a Class C, is to look at used units from the RV rental companies. Like Passport America or similar. Search on forum here, it seems that most have had good success and good customer service from the rental RV companies. You get a MH with a history they will show you, and (I think) some type of warranty.

A class C will tow a small car without troubles, and yes "toad" is slang for the "towed" vehicle. The rental RV units are all going to be gas, I suspect most all will be Ford E-450 chassis with the V-10 engine.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:31 AM   #38

Thumbs up Thank you for the advice; my final decision/action

I cannot thank all of you enough for your help in my making these decisions!

The unit I'd finally settled on was the 2015 Class C Thor Chateau/Four Winds 24C on a Ford E350 chassis with the V10 engine. The one feature I really disliked was the U-dinette. I want a bench dinette.

Lo and behold, up on RV Trader popped a lightly used (~18,000 miles) 2006 Thor Dutchmen with virtually the same floor plan except with a bench dinette . And it's in my state, less than 100 miles away. I went to see it and was very impressed with it: it's on a Ford E450 chassis with the V10 Triton engine, has lots of nice little owner-installed touches like a flip-up counter extension, and is light, bright, and immaculate.

So I'm in the process of buying it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Happy new year to you all,

Kathy

P.S. See my query on the towed-vehicle forum if you have advice on that! Thanks!

Tow a 2006 Honda Element 4-down?
Old 01-08-2015, 03:13 AM   #39
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you or the update, again good luck with your choice.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #40

Kathy
Make sure to let us know how much you SAVED buying a 9 year old model. That is money you will have never spent and can use for something more meaningful than interest or depreciation...such as more travelling and adventure.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:42 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsquared View Post
I cannot thank all of you enough for your help in my making these decisions!

The unit I'd finally settled on was the 2015 Class C Thor Chateau/Four Winds 24C on a Ford E350 chassis with the V10 engine. The one feature I really disliked was the U-dinette. I want a bench dinette.

Lo and behold, up on RV Trader popped a lightly used (~18,000 miles) 2006 Thor Dutchmen with virtually the same floor plan except with a bench dinette . And it's in my state, less than 100 miles away. I went to see it and was very impressed with it: it's on a Ford E450 chassis with the V10 Triton engine, has lots of nice little owner-installed touches like a flip-up counter extension, and is light, bright, and immaculate.

So I'm in the process of buying it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Happy new year to you all,

Kathy

P.S. See my query on the towed-vehicle forum if you have advice on that! Thanks!

Tow a 2006 Honda Element 4-down?

Sounds like a good one! The two things I would worry about are checking the date code on the tires and the brake rotors for pitting. Tires age out before they wear out. If the unit sat for a long time the rotors rust and big pits form under the brake pads. Makes for a noisy ride and poor braking. Any mechanic worth dealing with can check them.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #42

Kathy, congrats on your new C. Just remember the number one thing to preserving/maintaining any camper or motorhome...."Water Is Your Enemy". The roof: I would get up there and clean it with a degreaser like Simple Green, let it dry then re-seal every seam, join and protrusion(vents, skylights etc). Same thing with all the windows, doors, marker lights, outlets, etc. At least once a year repeat all of the above.

Water intrusion can cause a lot of damage very quickly. Most folks park them and forget them, then find they had a leak and the rot has taken over. Use The proper caulk and sealer for your coach......NO SILICONE! I know you are planning on being on the road which is fine, just be diligent in your waterproofing maintenance.

Tags
advice