Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-25-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
Post Seeking advice on what RV to get!

Hello, all. I'm new to iRV2 and favorably impressed with the people and ideas I see represented here.

I'm a single woman in advanced middle age (you don't honestly expect me to say "elderly," do you?) who has had a tiny RV for some years, a 1992 Sportsmobile on a Ford E250 chassis, regular length (she's 17' 7" long). Her name is Maybelline. She and I have made numerous trips in the 600-700-mile range, last year going across the country and back.

I'd like to become a full-timer together with my 3 cats as long as my purse, health, and mobility permit.

My goal is to visit and stay in areas near scenic mountain wildernesses, while the weather permits. I'm not big on beaches and deserts; I live in California, which has lots of both items! So my traveling/staying will involve winding mountain roads and fairly high elevations (up to 10,000' or more).

Where there are mountains, there I want to be, especially in California's many lovely ranges.

I've been considering the small Class A Winnebago Via 25P and 25T but am also attracted to the much smaller, Class B Roadtrek SS Ideal and E Trek -- ideally, I'd combine them to have the Ideal's slide-out with the E Trek's solar system, plus a composting toilet in whatever unit I get.

The Mercedes Sprinter chassis with its diesel engine seems a very sturdy, reliable, and relatively good-mileage basis for the new-to-me, almost certainly used otherwise, RV. I plan to tow a tiny car like a Smart car.

Definitely, reliability, ease of use, good mileage, environmental friendliness, and lots more space and storage are very important! I also don't want to drive something longer than about 25'.

Have any of you any suggestions about my proposed choices, or suggestions for other RVs I should consider?

Thank you!

kmsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Best of luck in your search and decision. A Friend has a Sprinter chassied RV and it works well for him. Reliable and very good mileage. I am not sure of the towing capability. Possibly a search here for Sprinter will turn up some threads with info on that and what manufacturers use them Enjoy your adventures and be safe.

Have a wonderful day!
Ken (RVM 87)
FT DP Wanna B The journey is the destination!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:15 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Best luck on your search.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:20 AM   #4
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds to me like a well thought out plan already! A diesel Sprinter will make a great small rig for a single person and three cats.
Our first MH was 17', but then the second dog took over the couch so we HAD to buy a bigger unit!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your choices.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
Newmar Owners Club

Seems like you've thought this out already! Find one that the cats will like and go while you can!! Don't over think it!
Frank (RVM88), Lourdes, ChiChi and Coco!
Newmar 2016 DSDP 4381, 2016 Jeep Sahara Unlimited, Blue Ox Alladin Towbar with SMI Air Force One[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
FRasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #7

I have seen some nice Sprinters and see their advantages. I don't know what the towing capacity of them are but their are threads in here that I'm sure deal with it.

I am a believer that an RV should be comfortable all the time. I always ask what size MH would I not mind being couped up in if the weather did not permit outside activities. Going up to a 25' whether a Class A or B would most likely make more sense.

Good luck with your choice.

Happy Trails!!!
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would vote for a small Class A. Better for towing, future plans insofar as length of stays and more critters (including humans) coming on board.
2003 Dolphin LX 6355 w/ W22 chassis; 8.1L gasser & Allison 1000
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #10
Newmar Owners Club
Hi kmsquared,
Welcome to iRV2. In order of importance consider:
1. Floor plan. None are perfect but one should fit your needs.
2. Will the unit carry all your stuff, pets and people? GVWR minus UVWR
3. Will the unit tow what you want to tow? GCWR minus GVWR. Also check the receiver hitch weight rating.

After that, the decision can be made as complicated as one wants to make it. Consider going to the Tampa RV Super Show in Mid January. Yeh, I know it is all the way across the country, but everyone needs an excuse to be in Florida in January. Go to Florida RV Trade Association - Florida RV SuperShow and check it out. There will be literally hundreds of RVs there that match your OP.

All I can recommend is to consider a holding tank(s) instead of a composting toilet.Jan
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
What everyone has said.

You sound like someone who knows what they want and have researched the options. Pick the one you like best.

Hope to see you on the road. Wave when you pass by - we will recognize you by the big grin.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:51 PM   #12
You may want to consider a small Class A, better towing capacity, and better carrying capacity.
06 TS-42-DS04
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:06 AM   #13
Monaco Owners Club
Don't be afraid of a A in the 28 foot size with two slides. The xtra 3 foot will not limit the parking but for full timing will add so much space. A bigger Ford motor will tow anything you want. You are the only one that can tell how much space you need st look, look, look then do what your comfortable with. Also solar can be installed on any rig, but you will still need a gen now and then, AC will not run on solar although it is coming.
Good luck.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:30 PM   #14
Actually, the Winnebago Via 25 is a small (25.5') Class A on a Mercedes Sprinter (diesel) chassis. The chassis seems to have a very good reputation....Don't really know about Winnebago, except that they seem to have been around forever. Thanks!

kmsquared is offline   Reply With Quote