Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2018, 08:32 AM   #1

Seeking recommendations for RV size/model

Hi!

I am brand new to RVing—have not even purchased yet. I have zero experience RVing. ;-0. Our rental lease is up in one year, so I'm starting to shop now.

I've been researching the pros and cons of Class As vs Class Cs vs Towing, and it's so overwhelming...I change my mind daily on what to invest in.;-0 I am looking for recommendations based on experience or knowledge. Please help in any way you can.;-)
Here's my plan:
*Four kids and I living in it for at least a year traveling.
*Continue to homeschool all of them on the road--must have table(s).
*We have two tiny dogs.
*I will need a desk/table for my online work.
*Internet access is important.
*Not experienced in driving a bus, but have towed a U-Haul across the states.
*Would LOVE to have a 2nd toilet and a washing machine, but I would also love to not be limited by an oversized vehicle.
*Looking at a budget between 60K & 110K.
*Female driver—just okay with mechanical things.

I was also wondering how to get around once at destination. Is it necessary to tow a car too? Thanks for any suggestions in advance!
MomN4Xplor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2.com! Buying an RV is not an easy decision. And that decision is yours to make. From what you have described: 4 kids, 2 dogs, full timing and would like a 2nd bathroom and a washing machine, even though I own a class C, it is my opinion that a class A RV would be best for you. Good luck to you.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:42 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I think a Class C is out with what you're looking for.
A class A or a 5th wheel would be my suggestion.

While I have a class A, my gut says a fifth wheel might be better for your family.
BUT, you'd have to have a truck big enough to seat 5, so that could turn into an issue - I'd say that would be a 4 door dually. That's quite the vehicle for a daily driver.

To get around, almost certainly you'll want to either tow a car behind the Class A, or use the truck that you're pulling the 5th with.
Breaking camp any time you want to go somewhere would rapidly because a bother, not to mention finding easy and close parking for a rig big enough for the family.
Also, don't know the age of the kids, but there could come a time when some want to go and some want to stay 'home' in the RV. To do that you'd need a separate vehicle.

Internet is unrelated to the RV itself and is much more dependent on your location - so take that out of your RV shopping list.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #4

look into several that have the hallway Bunkhouse AND the upfront Bunk, you'll need the room for 4 of those 'critters', not including the other furry ones... and if you can stick with a ClassA around 35' it will be ideal. Easy to drive, short enough to maneuver and back easily, and will tow your vehicle competently. A single central full bath is best, since any bath and 1/2 models will only have the shower in the rear, thru the master bedroom. While two toilets seems the way to go with 5 folks, we managed quite nicely on a single bath and 4 of us(3 'boys' and a wife!).

also, try to get a model that has an electric front bunk, not a 'folding' bunk, as it will be unusable while traveling, yet the electric bunk can be reconfigured to still allow some storage usage while underway... very useful.
The hallway Bunkhouse sleeps two, privately, and can even change to a 'Couch' when parked, for another useful feature.

Look at only those models with a front passengers-side computer 'table' ... this is your Office, and will not be in the way of anyone when parked. The dining table can be your 'school room' and a couch across from it serves nicely as the teacher's 'chair'(and also as a sleeping place for kid #4! (a jackknife sofa works best since it's easy to deploy and doesn't take up the whole walking area in the evening.)

If your budget can be stretched, look at a coach like mine, Palazzo 33.3 Bunkhouse with front Bunk(slightly used might even be in your current budget). It's a diesel and runs smooth and easy when traveling, and is not 'loud' upfront while driving like gas unit can be.

If you look at new and used Thor's Miramar 37.1 and Hurricane 34.7 models, you'll find the similar layout, with gas engines. Other models to consider might be Coachmen Mirada 35BH, and the ForestRiver Legacy BH(diesel).
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:04 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Test run?

You don't talk about your own RV experience. You might want to rent one for a test run and try it out with your kids and pets. There are sacrifices involved in the RV lifestyle that might seem difficult after a while. Rent the biggest class A you can find and try it out floor a couple of weeks.
Grn_Mtn_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:04 AM   #6

With four kids and pets and with that budget I'd be looking for a decent used FW with a bath and a half and a separate bunk room with the remainder of the budget going to a suitable truck. Don't fear the truck: you can manage it (but it will be a learning curve!)
Old 01-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #7

Hi

Good luck with your search

this place is great

Safe travels
2015 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SWB
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome. Wow what an undertaking. I have to agree, and I am a long time coach fan, with your budget and what you are needing/wanting you will most likely be served with a FW and adequate truck to haul it around with.

I also agree that before you buy anything you might want to rent a camper for a couple of weeks to see if the RV lifestyle is for you and the brood.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Somewhat similar was my search before my purchase. My wife and I looked at Class A and C. The only reason we looked a C was she said "I may drive it" so after getting one on the road test driving she said.....ummm no not going to happen. The first time I drove a Class A I was a bit intimidated. I've pulled trailers before so I had the "jist" of swinging wide in tight corners (my daily driver is 2002 Ram quad cab long bed). I drove a 34' brave, 38' Adventurer and settled with 36' Vacationer. I say go with Class A
Old 01-23-2018, 11:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As Grn Mtn Boy suggested, rent an RV for a week or so. You will soon discover what works for you and what doesn't.
Class A and Class C require you to tow a car.
Trailers require that you have a good size truck.

Hooking up at RV parks is the same for all and I suspect you'll have the kids doing that. This can really be a neat thing for the young ones, teaching them responsibilities,etc.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:58 PM   #11

Old 01-24-2018, 05:52 AM   #12

Welcome MomN4Xplor. Not sure, but you may be the first to contemplate something like this. However, a mom raising 4 kids by herself can probably do anything.

Given the basics of your request, this prompted a question which I posed to the forum in another thread. You may find it helpful. See below.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/which...ng-376102.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Which type RV is less physically demanding?
On another thread, a woman with 4 kids and two dogs with no RV experience is seeking advice on what type of RV to purchase for full-timing. $60 - $110lk budget.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/seeki...el-376060.html

This brings up an interesting question. Given the above constraints, which type of RV would be less physically demanding; 5er, MH, or TT? Of course, please indicate why you think so. And no, I don't think women are weaklings. I've seen gals that could kick my butt.
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:05 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
No one has mentioned the possibility of a Toy Hauler Class A or a Trailer. Convert the Hauler area into two bunks. Sleeping solved.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:19 AM   #14

Have you looked at You Tube? There are many families full time RVing and they have a lot of information from their experiences. We also follow full time families on Instagram.

Good luck! For the right family, it is a great adventure!

Ellen
lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote