Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2007, 11:08 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Awhile ago I got Newmar to agree to give me a new entry step. Mine was not retracting too well and was rusting through.

The dealer looked at it twice and said it just needed lubrication but, the sticker on the front and the manual clearly says do not lubricate.

Anyway, after all the trouble I have had with this dealer I didn't want him to put the step on and it was supposed to be a simple job, 4 bolts and a couple of wires.

I picked up the step at the dealer about a month ago and was going to put the new step on after this next trip as the old one was still functional.

Sure enough when I went to get the coach fired up today the step didn't work. Did a lot of testing and found the control box to be the problem. Rather than monkey around I decided to just install the new step now.

Well, the one bolt which come down through the frame broke loose at the top so it turned when the socket turned the nut. There was no way to get to the top of the bolt w/o tearing up the step cover on the first step inside the coach. Used channel locks to hold the bolt praying I wouldn't snap it or ruin the threads.

Finally got it off and the step away. Found out bolts didn't match pattern on original step. Newmar must have filed out the one hole so it would fit. Not very elegant. I thought Newmar had the bolts in the wrong spot.

So I did the same thing w/the new step. Turns out another bolt didn't match up with hole. So now there were two filed out holes.

Finally, got the step on, re-connected the wires and it worked perfectly. I even rewired the amber light so it worked w/the patio light and not the step switch. A modification I had Newmar do last winter.

One thing I noticed was that the new step had brass fittings instead of metal. Wondering if it was a design change on the "non-lubricated" product.

I'm proud of myself and will let you know if the step falls off on my trip to Florida or if I throw out my shoulder patting myself on the back.

I did have assistance from one of the maintenance guys that work for me. The step is quite heavy.

BTW, I got real lucky as the weather today was in the mid 30's, no wind and a sunny day. One of those picture perfect winter days for those of you who don't mind it below 68 degrees once in a while.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2007, 11:08 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Awhile ago I got Newmar to agree to give me a new entry step. Mine was not retracting too well and was rusting through.

The dealer looked at it twice and said it just needed lubrication but, the sticker on the front and the manual clearly says do not lubricate.

Anyway, after all the trouble I have had with this dealer I didn't want him to put the step on and it was supposed to be a simple job, 4 bolts and a couple of wires.

I picked up the step at the dealer about a month ago and was going to put the new step on after this next trip as the old one was still functional.

Sure enough when I went to get the coach fired up today the step didn't work. Did a lot of testing and found the control box to be the problem. Rather than monkey around I decided to just install the new step now.

Well, the one bolt which come down through the frame broke loose at the top so it turned when the socket turned the nut. There was no way to get to the top of the bolt w/o tearing up the step cover on the first step inside the coach. Used channel locks to hold the bolt praying I wouldn't snap it or ruin the threads.

Finally got it off and the step away. Found out bolts didn't match pattern on original step. Newmar must have filed out the one hole so it would fit. Not very elegant. I thought Newmar had the bolts in the wrong spot.

So I did the same thing w/the new step. Turns out another bolt didn't match up with hole. So now there were two filed out holes.

Finally, got the step on, re-connected the wires and it worked perfectly. I even rewired the amber light so it worked w/the patio light and not the step switch. A modification I had Newmar do last winter.

One thing I noticed was that the new step had brass fittings instead of metal. Wondering if it was a design change on the "non-lubricated" product.

I'm proud of myself and will let you know if the step falls off on my trip to Florida or if I throw out my shoulder patting myself on the back.

I did have assistance from one of the maintenance guys that work for me. The step is quite heavy.

BTW, I got real lucky as the weather today was in the mid 30's, no wind and a sunny day. One of those picture perfect winter days for those of you who don't mind it below 68 degrees once in a while.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Not to worry, my friend.

Only awnings fall off in Florida.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I even rewired the amber light so it worked w/the patio light and not the step switch. A modification I had Newmar do last winter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been considering this also.

What was involved?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:43 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Just clipped the wire from the control box to the amber light and tapped into the 12 line for the patio light.

What I don't know is if Newmar ran the patio light wire off of the inside step light or if the wire was there.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Dirk,

Forgot to mention that Newmar did not charge me for the modification so I have to believe it wasn't that difficult to find that wire.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Thanks.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Great post Scott, I was wondering where "Murphy" was wintering over.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Scott you will find as I have the next new step may not line up with same bolt holes either.
Have replaced steps twice on different coachs and had to drill out new holes on step mounting plates. On present step had to use self tapping lags for rear mounting bolts.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:21 AM   #9

Scott That is a great idea re the step light. Could never understand why it needed to be on in the day. I am going to check this out 'But' I need a little warmer weather Don't like the idea of laying in the snow!!!

Rick
Old 12-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
The reason for the amber light being under the step was that as wired from the factory it would never be of any use.

I told the Newmar tech that most RVers never have the step switch in the on position. When you camp you turn it off so the step doesn't retract every time you enter and exit the coach.

This is when you need the light to see around that step. It really helps w/the young kids.

When running the engine overrides the switch anyway so you would never have to worry about leaving the steps out while driving.

The only time that switch is on for me is when I'm parked in a tight area such as for storage or in a parking lot.

BTW, I wish there were a way to temporarily disable the override when the engine was running. I have had a few spots in gas stations, weigh stations, customs etc. where I would have rather jumped out than risk my step hitting a barrier or high curb.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JavaJelly:
The reason for the amber light being under the step was that as wired from the factory it would never be of any use.

I told the Newmar tech that most RVers never have the step switch in the on position. When you camp you turn it off so the step doesn't retract every time you enter and exit the coach.

This is when you need the light to see around that step. It really helps w/the young kids.

When running the engine overrides the switch anyway so you would never have to worry about leaving the steps out while driving.

The only time that switch is on for me is when I'm parked in a tight area such as for storage or in a parking lot.

BTW, I wish there were a way to temporarily disable the override when the engine was running. I have had a few spots in gas stations, weigh stations, customs etc. where I would have rather jumped out than risk my step hitting a barrier or high curb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One simple way to disable the override would be with a magnet.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:20 AM   #12

Interesting comment regarding the engine over-ride on the step switch. I think mine is wired backwards. With the switch in the regular position (step retracts each time door is closed) everything is fine. If I flip the switch with the step out, it stays out even if I start the engine and close the door. Likewise, if I flip the switch with the step in, it stays in even when I open the door. Oh well, that will be one more for the dealer to figure out.
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote