Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2011, 07:01 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
sell your old tires !

dont be foolish an pay to dispose of your old tires ! you can easily get 50 bucks a tire back ! i just did it on craigslist ! he wants more just so happenens i know someone else with some ! gotta love it !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I get $100 back each from the tire dealer for 295/80r22.5 tires if they are not cracked and have tread.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #3

Just bought new utility trailer tires $85.00 dollars each still good just old gave then away to save $10.00.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
I figured that out a couple or three years ago when I took off 6 Michelins and gave the dealer who installed them 5 and then paid something like $20 each to get the new ones mounted. Oh well!!
Old 05-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting about the value of your old 295/80's. Dealers near me would not buy my old 295/80 - said there was no used market for them. Motorhometire only, they said, plus they were old (7+ years). But they would pay for a used 11R22.5, which is nearly identical in size, because it is a common truck & trailer tire.

I put 11R22.5 on the back of the coach now - much better pricing when new and I'll get something for them when I'm ready to replace. Easier to find if I have a blowout on the road too.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The dealer that bought my old tires also does all the tire work for a very large local RV dealer he must have contacts with local haul truckers that are using the 295/80r22.5 in place of the 11R22.5 on their trucks or trailers. They are the same load range.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #7

Hey guys,

I'm not real clear on the difference between a 295/80r22.5 and an 11R22.5. An internet search helped me not.

Can you help fill in the blanks?

Steve
Old 05-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
This discussion is kind of interesting. While I was waiting for some worked to be done at a local Wingfoot Goodyear dealer, I began talking to one of the staff that worked in their recapping shop. I asked him about recapping dated tires. He said the only thing they are concerned with when checking a casing for recapping is the interior condition of the tire. The manufacturer date apparently was of no concern.

So, are there shops out there recapping our outdated motorhome tires that we paid someone to take off our hands? I remember when tires with worn out tread were still worth a couple of bucks as casings to be recapped. When we bought new tires they gave us a couple of bucks for our recappable casings.

Are we being taken advantage of now days? Are truckers running our recapped tires?
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
If they are a popular size and the tire carcass is solid, then yes they are.

On fleets of city garbage trucks, we frequently installed recaps on the rear axles and new tires on the steer axle.

We experienced many sidewall failures due to damage (curbs, construction sites, and disposal sites) and seldom worried about wearing down the tread. So recaps were a better solution.

I am sure many other vehicle operators do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post

Are truckers running our recapped tires?
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

My first reaction to all of this was that people were buying tires we had removed as unsafe and were probably putting them on their rigs.... putting everyone in danger.

Hopefully that's not the case and they are being recapped legally. Any experts in the house who know if "timed out" tires can be recapped?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting. My curiosity is peaked.

If tires are good for recapping then why are they not good for use as they are if they have good tread, no side wall cracking a good interior and have been run wih proper air pressure and weight their entire lives---no matter the age.

And if they are automatically "bad" at six years as many claim (one in a thread on this same page to a newbie--"you must change your tires at six years because they are all rotted inside") how in good conscience can they be sold for use somewhere else?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
My first reaction to all of this was that people were buying tires we had removed as unsafe and were probably putting them on their rigs.... putting everyone in danger.

Hopefully that's not the case and they are being recapped legally. Any experts in the house who know if "timed out" tires can be recapped?

Rick
Rick,
I or anyone for that matter can buy 7,8 year old or older!! rv or truck tires...just looked at gy 670's date code 2000 for $100.00 ea...I asked who buys tires that old??...reply...anybody that wants them!...I guess the answer is people buy them for older RV's and trucks because they think they are better than what they have....... and this is a tire store. Skeered? Ya kinda!
Richard
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

First let me say I don't think anyone would put recapped tires on an RV and I don't think anyone would buy tires that old for an RV. Those tires that I mentioned that I sold back at the beginning of this thread as stated went to local haul truckers. The Tire guy buying them from me would only buy them if zero cracking and good tread. Don't lets get this thread carried away on what those used tires are used on. I know the know the owner of that tire store and I can tell you he will not knowly sell them to somebody to put on an RV. Don't know of many long haul truckers that would put recaps on their tractor especially on a steer axle. Maybe local trucks do such as garbage trucks.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Don't know of many long haul truckers that would put recaps on their tractor especially on a steer axle...
I, by no means, have any expertise in this area, but have always understood that truckers used recapped tires on their rigs... probably only on the trailers.

Has that changed in recent years?

And where, or too whom, is Wingfoot selling all their truck size recaps?

Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote