Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-18-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
Sensor for Steps

My daughter has a 2006 Forest River Forester. The electric step is made by Coach Step (by SCS). The steps will not retract. My first reaction was the motor was bad but then after reading numerous threads, they said to check the sensors. Well, this is where it get tricky for dear old dad, I can't find the sensors. Seriously, I found them on the internet and found 3 potential types, but for the life of me I cannot find them on the coach.

This is putting a serious crunch on my daughter telling my son in law that dad can fix it.

If anyone can shed some light on what they look like and where they may be located on this type of coach, I would be very appreciative.

Sorry, but I am stumped, I just do not see the sensors to check them out.

Thanking you in advance for any assistance. Dad is about to lose a few points with adoring daughter.

paulnick9092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2010, 03:53 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Paul welcome to irv2.
Here is a PDF of step wiring that you may need. The sensors I would guess maybe the magnetic switch you will see on door frame 1/2 mounted on screen and other halve on frame. Some times they can be a plunger type also.
One thing to check is a good ground to frame of coach if its loose or dirty from road salts and like your steps will not work.
The hinge pivots on steps should be well lubed so steps do not bind possible blowing fuse. Use a KWIKEE LUBE found in RV store.
The diagram does not show a brake switch as other MFG's have so you have to make sure the switch is operated before driving off coach or damage can result if steps not retracted.
Enjoy the forums for any other problems you may have and be the knowing DAD.

98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Thanks for the info. I took up the rubber matting just inside the doorway and could see the inside sensor there. I then look on the screen door where outside senor should be and it was missing. I held a magnet on the door frame where the inside magnet was and, voila, the steps retracted. Now I just need to find the missing part at an RV store. Thanks again.
paulnick9092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
This is the type of switch your looking for, it's a normally open switch. When the door closes the magnet closes the switch and allows 12 volts to go to the motor to retract the steps.
2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote