Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
serious cleaning and polishing the roof today

Today was nice out, so I got up on the roof of our 36' MH. I used a power buffer, and removed the oxidation and dirt on the roof. I used a bucket of water and a rag to rinse off the residue because I didn't want it to run down the sides. The power cord knocked a bottle of oxidation remover off of the roof, and it busted. Oh well...
I also cleaned the antenna, vents, etc. It was a LOT OF WORK, but it looks nice and shiny clean. (Next time, I will get a pair of knee pads first.) The sides don't look nearly as bad and I will get to them next.
I see the ads from "detailers" that charged $12 a ft. for an RV, and I used to think that was way too much money. Now, I can see that it is not, because there is a lot of hard work involved. I wonder if some of the cheaper price quotes are for skipping the roof.
I am thankful that am able to do my own, (I am 65), and I am fussy. I like doing it, but now I know I wouldn't do anybody else's RV for less than $12 a foot, if at all. I would help someone and get them started though.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
I would help someone and get them started though.
You're like the insurance company, "Like a Good Neighbor!"

I use a deep pile soft nylon brush on a telepole and I use a commercial product to clean the roof. Using lots of water will help with the streaks but the cleaner will still run off and some dripping is often realized. When I finish I need sun glasses because the fiberglass is just too white.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Today was nice out, so I got up on the roof of our 36' MH. I used a power buffer, and removed the oxidation and dirt on the roof. I used a bucket of water and a rag to rinse off the residue because I didn't want it to run down the sides. The power cord knocked a bottle of oxidation remover off of the roof, and it busted. Oh well...
I also cleaned the antenna, vents, etc. It was a LOT OF WORK, but it looks nice and shiny clean. (Next time, I will get a pair of knee pads first.) The sides don't look nearly as bad and I will get to them next.
I see the ads from "detailers" that charged $12 a ft. for an RV, and I used to think that was way too much money. Now, I can see that it is not, because there is a lot of hard work involved. I wonder if some of the cheaper price quotes are for skipping the roof.
I am thankful that am able to do my own, (I am 65), and I am fussy. I like doing it, but now I know I wouldn't do anybody else's RV for less than $12 a foot, if at all. I would help someone and get them started though.
I bet your fuel mileage just went up!!
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
You are probably right. With the body being slick, there has to be less drag. But, I'm not sure if it would be very much.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
what professional cleaner do you use driver ?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey, Let's see some pics of the finished product and all that hard work...
Old 02-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdave View Post
what professional cleaner do you use driver ?
I use a lot of Gel-Gloss products.

In referrence to the just too white comment, that's basically normal. When the roof is clean in bright sunlight it reflects a lot of sunlight. I will use sunglasses, it helps with the glare.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #8

I also use the Gel-Gloss product for my roof ---- it is both a cleaner and polish --- as I clean, I use a car polisher to really bring out the shine on the roof. The cleaner/polisher has wax in it.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:01 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
when you use that gel gloss product do you wash the roof first ? ive got a white chalky film on top just curious ? thanks i was going to use mop an glo
Old 02-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #10

I will wet down the roof as I go (heavy dirt -- I would wash off first) and then apply the Gel-Gloss product with a damp towel (I use bar towels which are larger than wash cloths but manageable). I will use circular motions and you will see the "chalky white stuff" come off on the towel. I then use a dry towel to dry the area. The first time I cleaned my roof (I purchased the MH used), it took about two days and a lot of towels. After getting the roof cleaned and towel polished, that is when I will go to the buffer and really shine it up. The first time that I polished the roof I think was the first time it had been cleaned as it had old pine tar droppings and other "sticky stuff" up there. I now do the roof twice a year -- once in the Spring and once in the Fall -- it does not take nearly as long to do now as the wax (caranaba wax) in the product helps to protect the fiberglass roof. Also, when I wash the MH, I use a wash solution that contains caranaba wax in it.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
when you use that gel gloss product do you wash the roof first ? ive got a white chalky film on top just curious ? thanks i was going to use mop an glo

First, you need to remove the chalky oxidation. There are several very mild abrasives available. I use one with a random orbital polishing machine that I bought from griotsgarage.com Then, once you have that off, you can use any of a number of polishes on it. I choose a waterless acrylic coating polish from ultralustra.com. It is very easy to use and chemically bonds to the acrylic paints being used now. Enamel and lacquer are gone. I don't use wax anymore, but I did for MANY years. That's old technology that is not as hard as acrylic polish.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #12

The Gel-Gloss product will remove the oxidation ---- The full product name (I am now in the basement where it is stored) is "Gel-Gloss Heavyduty Exterior RV Cleaner and Wax ---- it has Carnauba wax in it. It is good for the entire exterior of my RV.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As posted in a previous thread, I send DW up on the roof to clean it.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'll 2nd the Gel-Gloss products.. been using them for years.....do my trailer about 3 times a year, a section at a time......After each wash I'll do about 30 minutes of waxing.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote