Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Service on Onan 7500 quiet diesel Generator

The maintenance on this generator calls for replacing the V-belt, coolant hoses & thermostat, and cleaning the crankcase breather but says these must be performed by a qualified mechanic. I don't think I need a "qualified mechanic" to change a belt, thermostat. etc. Does the generator need to be removed to access those parts? (This generator is not on a slid out tray). Any other thought or comments would be appreciated by anyone who has done this service.
Thanks
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
KIX

If you have the service manual and are mechanically inclined you can do your own service. Getting to the V-belt can be a problem. My gen is on a slide out so it may be different than yours. to get to the v-belt the cover must be removed from that side of the gen. You'll have to loosen the others to get the side one off. If you don't have the room to remove the cover then you'll have to pull then gen. To lift out remove the square (about 8") cover from the top sound shield. A lifting hook is under the square plate.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Kix, Thanks for the reply. Yes, I can do the work and will probably have to pull the generator. I haven't been able to find a service manual for that engine online. I wonder if these generators are installed by Winnebago or by Freightliner? They may have some information.
Safe Travels
Bob
Old 12-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
KIX

You're welcome. I think the gen is installed by the coach builder vs. the chassis builder.

I found a service (shop) manual online a year or so ago. I can't remember where I got it. But, I remember just Google-ing and found it for around $10. I looked on my copy and there is no indication of where it came from. Sorry I can't help more.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #5

Without having the gennie on a slideout, the process to remove it is fairly difficult. I don't remember for sure, but I think it weighs over 500 lbs. On ours, there wasn't enough clearance to just drop the gennie down, the front of the MH also had to be raised to get it out.

We ended up paying an Onan shop about $500 just to pull it and replace it. Of course some of the bolts were seized, broke and had to be drilled/tapped. With the right equipment I don't think it would be too bad a job; for a shade tree mechanic like me, I opted to hire the pros. Once you get the covers off, you'll see how to change the belt, etc.

It would have been different if it was on a slide, our next MH will have a gennie slide or we won't buy it.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
KIX

Seems like I heard that a friend used a forklift to remove his gen from a non-slide moho. After removal he had them out it on a trailer he was towing and took it home to service.

BTW....to remove and re-install the v-belt you unbolt the top pullet to separate it. There is no tension adjustment on the belt.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:57 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The V belt is at the back and requires removal of the top and rear covers to get at it. The top has to come off the remove the back, and I had to remove most of the screws on the sides to get the top off.

Mine is on a slide and it is still a PITA to get at it. At 1500 hours I took the top cover off and loosened the back enough to see the belt (but still couldn't remove it.) I could see it was still going to be a big job to get the back cover off, due to limited access. The belt still looked like new, so I opted to leave it on. Now it's 2 years and 400 hours later and it's still going strong. I suppose someday I'll wish I had changed it, but my feeling is that Onan is ultra-conservative in their change recommendation. YMMV.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
The maintenance on this generator calls for replacing the V-belt, coolant hoses & thermostat, and cleaning the crankcase breather but says these must be performed by a qualified mechanic. I don't think I need a "qualified mechanic" to change a belt, thermostat. etc. Does the generator need to be removed to access those parts? (This generator is not on a slid out tray). Any other thought or comments would be appreciated by anyone who has done this service.
Thanks
Bob

How many hours is this supposed to be done?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
The4js, the operators manual calls for replacement of belt, coolant & thermostat and for cleaning the crankcase breather every 1,000 hours or at least once very five years. This generator does not have the hours but does have about seven years on it. I'm pretty sure the previous owner did not have this service performed. I think I'll wait until after the Christmas Holidays before I really dig into the generator.
Safe Travels
Bob
Old 12-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #10

Assuming you have the 7500 HDKAJ Quiet Diesel model:

Operators: http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/981-0161.pdf
Service: http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/m.../981-0522B.pdf
Kubota Engine: http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/981-0514.pdf

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Dave78Chief, Thank you. Those manuals should be a great help when I tackle this thing. I do have the first manual but a different edition. Mine has specification H and the one you provide is somewhat newer but shouldn't be much difference. A cursory review indicates the newer manual has more "safety" comments.
Again, Thank you
Safe Travels
Bob
Old 12-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #12

I agree the big part is dropping it mines the same way, bad design.

Tags
diesel, generator, onan, service