Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-05-2015, 08:57 PM   #1
Angry Sewage smell

Sometimes while driving with the front window open I get a sewage smell, only while driving with window open. Have u had this problem and how do I fix it ?

Bukiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 09:07 PM   #2

Close the window.
Seriously........the window open can create a negative pressure inside the coach.

'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:49 AM   #3
Yeah I've had that problem. First I had to figure out if it was the black or gray tank. For me it was the gray, it can also smell pretty rank. The smell was worse in the bathroom under the sink. I replaced the two vents under the bathroom sink. That didn't do it. Next I made sure there was water in the traps. That didn't do it either. I think it was sloshing out while driving. Finally I bought two of those Camco RV Cyclone Plumbing Vents for the roof to replace the existing black & gray vents. Haven't had a problem since. They're a piece of cake to install. Hardest part is taking off the existing caulk. Available at Walmart.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The RV Geeks have a video that addresses exactly your situation. FWIW, these guys are awesome. Here's the video link;
Shawn and Karen. The pups; Rusty, Pebbles, and Bam-Bam
2015 Forest River Georgetown 329DS
US Navy, Retired
Elexwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
360 vent works

The 360 vent made all the difference in the world on the last 2 motorhomes I have owned, in fact I ordered the one for this Excursion before I even bought it.
JerryClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #6
My sewage don't smell!!!! LOL

(sorry just couldn't let it go )

2008 Thor Mandalay Presidio, 400 ISL
RVing since 1974!
Lots of Motorcycles
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #7
Thanks, I will be purchasing a 360 vent !
Bukiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:01 PM   #8
Check out this other thread. We had the same issue and it was the black flush valve. Black flush vacuum breaker / anti siphon valve under sink
-- Jeffrey and Maren
2011 Winnebago Journey 40U
Ford Escape Hybrid with Blue OX, Air Force One and TST
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:29 AM   #9
A ziplock bag of water on the shower drain solved my problem.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #10
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by JerryClark View Post
The 360 vent made all the difference in the world on the last 2 motorhomes I have owned, in fact I ordered the one for this Excursion before I even bought it.
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:19 PM   #11

Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
Check out this other thread. We had the same issue and it was the black flush valve. Black flush vacuum breaker / anti siphon valve under sink - iRV2 Forums
This scenario is worth investigating. Have had smells in the bathroom on and off for a while but then had a water leak into the basement and come to find it was this vacuum breaker leaking. Replaced this little dipped in gold gem and the leak is gone and as an added bonus, the smell is gone also. I guess that's why they can command such a hideous price for such a simple device.
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you just hopped into your RV for the first time in a while, it's possible that your sink/shower P-traps went dry. This happened to me once....adding water to the sinks and shower got rid of the smell for me.

2005 Fleetwood Providence 39J
CAT C7 350, MP-8 Programmer

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:49 PM   #13
It sounds to me like you might want to check your sewer vents. There are usually 2 vents on the roof one for gray water and one for black. If you have any blockage in the vents this can lead to bad sewer smell. Yuck!!!. The other thing I would check is your sewer valves and sewer hose fittings. If any are loose this can be a serious problem. I generally empty all my tanks before I leave any rv park. Fresh water included. It not only helps save on gas mileage. But believe me, it has save me from a multitude of problems and I have never had the holding tank problems so many people on these forums have had.

cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote