Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #1

Sewer connection to home sewer

We are going to be parked for an extended time at my sister's. We would like to use pvc pipe to runner the sewer through instead of the regular hose which has a tendency to spring leaks and break down with weather. I have seen it done but need to know what they used to convert to hook up to the MH sewer outlet. Since we will occasionally take off, it can't be permanent.

Any one have experience doing this?

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I purchased a Clean Dump system from RV Upgrades while we were full timing on front lawn remodeling new house. Ran hose 100' to sewer system and only had to open sewer cover when dumping. They have other systems but found system handled our wants. Hose could be left on ground or could disconnect if need be with shut of valve near RV.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:52 AM   #3
paz

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lower cost alternative to a macerator pump is the Sewer Solution. I have had one (actually I'm on my second - I ran over the first just this past summer) for about 10 years. I have used my Sewer Solution to pump water up a slight rise (1 to 2') over distances of up to 50'. They say it will pump higher and farther (up to 100'), but I've never tried it.

The main unit which comes with 10' of flexible hose. The plastic fittings on the Sewer Solution are for 1" plastic pipe, so 1" pipe and 1" fittings will connect directly the Sewer Solution making it easy to add as many sections of inexpensive 1" plastic pipe as you need. I was even able to use a dry fit so I could easily store the pipe between uses, but you may want to use pipe cement for long term use. Adding one additional 10' section of flexible Sewer Solution extension hose at the sewer end of the run makes alignment super easy, but it isn't absolutely necessary.

The only drawback to the Sewer Solution over a macerator pump is you need to have a source of water available. A garden hose is connected to the head of the Sewer Solution, and the water pressure breaks up the waste and forces it down the hose/pipe by means of a venturi.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:21 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
A lower cost alternative to a macerator pump is the Sewer Solution. I have had one (actually I'm on my second - I ran over the first just this past summer) for about 10 years. I have used my Sewer Solution to pump water up a slight rise (1 to 2') over distances of up to 50'. They say it will pump higher and farther (up to 100'), but I've never tried it.

The main unit which comes with 10' of flexible hose. The plastic fittings on the Sewer Solution are for 1" plastic pipe, so 1" pipe and 1" fittings will connect directly the Sewer Solution making it easy to add as many sections of inexpensive 1" plastic pipe as you need. I was even able to use a dry fit so I could easily store the pipe between uses, but you may want to use pipe cement for long term use. Adding one additional 10' section of flexible Sewer Solution extension hose at the sewer end of the run makes alignment super easy, but it isn't absolutely necessary.

The only drawback to the Sewer Solution over a macerator pump is you need to have a source of water available. A garden hose is connected to the head of the Sewer Solution, and the water pressure breaks up the waste and forces it down the hose/pipe by means of a venturi.
We also have the sewer solution in our Georgetown. And yes it needs water to operate. We modified our connections for the back flush and sewer conncection so only one hose is used to clean and dump both. That stays permanently attched in the motor home. All we have to do is attach the hose and dump the tank then turn a valve and backflush the tank all in one step. Sure saves lugging around the old sewer hose hookup. (I still do in case were boondocking)
Kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:01 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I tried the sewer system while visiting my sister and ended up buying the macerator pump which made this chore allot easier. I had about 100' of hose with a on / off dump valve at the sewer and the pump empyted the tank very quick. Didn't want to spend the extra money but it was worth it for my situation. You can buy the clean dump system and just add the extra length of hose that you may need.

Works great
Old 11-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rvgrandma,
I've done this several different ways. All the solutions work. The solution, for you, depends on the unique characteristics of your particular situation. For the RV end, a trip to a camping store may be needed to get an adapter for the RV to fit the PVC choice of adapters. For me, I would take a sample of both ends (RV & house) of what you are going to hook up to to Lowe's or Home Depot. Ask the plumbing person to help you find the adapters that will fit all the connections to be made.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #7

At our home we have a sewer clean-out located at the front of our house where our driveway ends. It has a removable threaded cap much like the sewer set-ups at RV parks.

I use the sewer solution system connecting the hose to 2 10' sections of 1" PVC pipe to the clean-out. Works great for us.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Sewer solution, Clean Dump and other macerator pumps are a great addition, especially as you're fulltiming and may want to camp where there are no hookups.

We used one on our last coach as we could only go 2 or 3 days without emptying the tanks. With the new coach, I put in a clean-out next to the coach and use a short sewer hose while the RV is parked. It has much larger tanks and we can go about 5 to 6 days without dumping.

BTW, our flex sewer hose (happens to be RhinoFlex) has been used constantly almost two years without failing. I support it with plastic gutter on a 10' 2X4 to give it the proper slope, probably protects it well too.

If you want run rigid PVC DWV pipe from an existing clean-out to the coach, I'd still recommend using the flex hose for the last several feet as this will make it much easier to move the coach (rigid pipe means you must park the coach in exactly the same spot each time ). Also. the clean-out obviously needs to be located downhill from the coach.

Hardware stores or home centers will have the pipe, male and female adapters you need to complete this job. I'd do something like this (starting from the clean-out going to the RV):

Male threaded to slip adapter to 90 degree ell to short pipe to rubber coupling Flexible Rubber Coupling with Hose Clamps - 3" x 3" (so you can unscrew the connection to the clean-out) to long lengths of pipe (connected together with slip couplings) to 90 degree ell to female threaded to slip adapter. Your normal sewer hose threaded elbow would go into this adapter. You can use all 3" or use larger if the clean-out you are using has larger diameter threads.

Make sure to properly support the pipe and give it the right slope (a quick internet search showed 1/4" per foot for 3", less for larger diameter pipe). Of course, all slip fittings must be glued after you test fit it (the rubber couplings will use hose clamps to secure them to the pipe).

If you really want rigid pipe into your black tank compartment I'd suggest using another rubber coupling on that end to make hookup easier. Also Valterra makes a Bayonet to threaded adapter you'll need, here is a link to a retailer that carries it: VALTERRA BAYONET HOOK HOSE ADAPTER.

Good luck!
Stewart