Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Sorry for hitting the return button.... Making it a gutter. The small holes let dew, rain, etc drain. For a support I took a welding rod made a "U" bracket with 3" horizontal bend at the top. This fits down the hose opening to support the PVC a few inches under the rig giving it a nice downward angle. The hose is straight, supported off the ground. It's light weight, inexpensive, effective. I keep a 5' length in the hose compartment, for those rest area dumps with a curb, and the 8 1/2 ft. Length in the another bay for campground use. And if it is a long distance to the dump, I use them both end to end supported at the seem by those formed plastic hose stands. I have seen guys take those cable bungees and secure the hose to the gutter.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use following Blueline Hose Support Blueline Hose Support & Protector - Prest-O-Fit 1-0080 - Sewer Accessories - Camping World I support it with pieces of 2X6 cut to various lengths and used a 4 inch hole saw to make the curves before cutting the 2X6. I then painted them white. The supports in the photo were made out of redwood. The first time I made the supports, I used pine and they dried up and cracked after one year. I've had the redwood for two years and no signs of cracking. I actually have two of the Blueline supports for long runs and even have one of the slinkys. Here are some photos (I hope)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Support 2.JPG
Views:	467
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	46179

Click image for larger version

Name:	Support 1.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	46180

kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Well, see there. Already a reason to change my mind. I just haven't run into a campground that required them.... yet. Since we're getting ready to go full time I may have to get something to keep in the basement just in case.
This all is just a great big learning experience... Love it.
Just about every park in Arizona will have a note saying that hoses must be off the ground - almost all of the counties have adopted this regulation. Not only does it prevent holes from rocks on the ground, but it also allows one to see if it is leaking. And yes, public health employees do go around RV Parks in Arizona checking, especially in the winter when there is a HUGE influx of snowbirds.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Im still fairly new so I am not quite sure of why a hose tressel would be needed. Even though I hook up the sewer hose , along with power and water, on site I only dump when tanks are near fulll. I lay the hose out on the ground so there are no sharp bends often partially under the edge of the coach so it doesn't look like I just dropped it there. I may have to dump the grey a couple of times a week, especially after a few loads of laundry, but it is simple enough. Pull the handle...push the handle.
Even if I left the grey valve open during my stay, I'd still have to close it several days prior to dumping the black. I do have to manually lift the hose to drain and flush before putting it away but that seems like less work than setting up and tearing down the hose supports in the first place.
However, I'll keep an open mind. If I do decode to use supports it won't be the first time I changed my mind.

Sometimes there is a dam around the dump area that causes the hose to have a high point (a hump) before it gets to the dump.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post
I use plastic eavestroughs. I bought 2-10 ft. sections and cut them so that I end up with two 4 ft. & two 6 ft. sections. The run that is pictured was a long one and the top of the sewer pipe was about ten inches above the ground. Most times it sits much lower.

If they need to be elevated, I use downspout Ts and put them underneath the eavestroughs. I use bungee cords to secure them.

I cut these extenders at various lengths to keep everything at the proper slope.

I don't set this up unless I'm staying for an extended period.
I use the same channel but support it with the orange leveling blocks. use the # needed per the height. I could never keep the accordion type support standing in the wind. this PVC channel system works great.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Sometimes there is a dam around the dump area that causes the hose to have a high point (a hump) before it gets to the dump.
bruceisla
As long as the top of the sewer hose, (where it goes over the "hump"), is lower than the bottom of the tank you are dumping..... the tank will completely drain...(however, you will have to lift the hose to drain whatever does not make it over the "hump" out of that portion of the hose).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Just about every park in Arizona will have a note saying that hoses must be off the ground - almost all of the counties have adopted this regulation. Not only does it prevent holes from rocks on the ground, but it also allows one to see if it is leaking. And yes, public health employees do go around RV Parks in Arizona checking, especially in the winter when there is a HUGE influx of snowbirds.

Barb
Barb
I've stayed in many AZ campgrounds without hooking up my sewer hose, because I was told I needed a sewer hose support.
Later, (just before leaving), I connected my sewer hose and dumped the tanks into the campsite sewer connection, dumped at the site before leaving without a hose support.
I was never told that was wrong.

Does one need to support the sewer hose when dumping the tanks at a dump station in AZ?
I have never done so.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
bruceisla
whatever does not make it over the "hump" out of that portion of the hose).
Mel
'96 Safari
Well ... Uh ... yup ... a big trap
Old 09-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Barb
I've stayed in many AZ campgrounds without hooking up my sewer hose, because I was told I needed a sewer hose support.
Later, (just before leaving), I connected my sewer hose and dumped the tanks into the campsite sewer connection, dumped at the site before leaving without a hose support.
I was never told that was wrong.

Does one need to support the sewer hose when dumping the tanks at a dump station in AZ?
I have never done so.

Mel
'96 Safari
We stay in the same RV park for all winter and it's much easier to use supports rather than connect the sewer hose every three days to dump.

I fill my gray tank in three days and my black tank in ten days.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post
I use plastic eavestroughs. I bought 2-10 ft. sections and cut them so that I end up with two 4 ft. & two 6 ft. sections. The run that is pictured was a long one and the top of the sewer pipe was about ten inches above the ground. Most times it sits much lower.

If they need to be elevated, I use downspout Ts and put them underneath the eavestroughs. I use bungee cords to secure them.d.
Heck that looks like something from the Roman Empire, why bother with the hose just let'er rip through the trough.

Just funning a little, I bought one of those tressell sets when I first started out and have never used it. I just hook up when it needs dumped. If I ran a campground I think I would say hoses only in sight while dumping.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Heck that looks like something from the Roman Empire, why bother with the hose just let'er rip through the trough.

Just funning a little, I bought one of those tressell sets when I first started out and have never used it. I just hook up when it needs dumped. If I ran a campground I think I would say hoses only in sight while dumping.
If you can't over-engineer, where's the fun?
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #40

Jayco Owners Club
I am often gone when DW and/or daughter-in-law need to dump. I have 2 outlets. I will have both hooked up to the trailer through a Y and supported so they just have to pull the valve when I'm not there. I do let the tanks fill because I think they drain better that way.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #41

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Selah,
I've been doing this since way before grey tanks and I do the same thing that you and mel do. No problems.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #42

We've got the slunky hose support thingies but I have gotten to the point I think they're more bother to set up than they're worth. As some else said, I just lift the hose up at one end of the hose and move it along until it's drained. Much faster and easier than setting up and getting the slope of the supports to work out.

We've been at a few sites where the cg inlet is too high relative to your unit's connection and you can't get the slope to work out. We've also got 2 grey tanks and two sewer hose connection points and need a wye connection to set it all up. Not easy to get the slope in 3 hose sections to work right using slunkys. But now I don't even bother with the wye and I connect at the forward black/grey outlet and dump and lift the hose up to get it fully drained. Then I move the hose to the rear connection and dump and lift again.

We've also got 4 sections of 10' hose. I don't bother shoving two of them into the bumper anymore. I connect the ends of each hose together and throw them in the back of the truck. Besides being a pain to get them into the bumper, this is also a lot faster.

I'm now hooked up to sewer faster and packed up faster. Still carry around 3 of the slunky things but I may end up leaving them at home to save space and weight.

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote