Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2016, 06:01 AM   #29

I want to thank everyone for their responses to my issue. I got an appt at the dealer to look at the sewer smell and hopefully fix it. It is a warranty issue, so I will not be out any $, just don't have my coach. I will post the fix when I get that information.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2016, 06:25 AM   #30

Odor

I did have odor coming in my MH from under sink and even worse when using
any venting fans or AC and what stopped the odor was flushing the gray water tank more than once and did add the new vent cap 360 for my Holding tank
and even thought the odor has stopped I ordered a 360 vent for the Gray tank
to help with venting.
I do understand yours is a new MH and mine a 99 and mine had built up some
smelly things in tank and your new one should not have this smell.
The caps for venting on top of the roof tend to get bugs and wasps building under the cap which doesn't allow much room for air venting.
Nick

Old 08-17-2016, 04:06 PM   #31
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Let me suggest something before you take the coach to the dealer. Sanitize your water system. If you are showering or washing dishes, your traps have water in them. The smell is coming from your water supply lines.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:13 PM   #32

Did the sanitizing with no chg
Old 08-17-2016, 08:24 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
In our old unit I had a similar problem. The drains backed up also. I found that the bees had built nest in the vent pipe near the closed vent caps. I removed the old vent caps and installed the cyclone type vents and all of the problems disappeared.

TOM
Old 08-17-2016, 08:35 PM   #34

If you are getting a sulfur smell, it is likely your fresh water tank. How long has it been since you cleaned it. In your shower the fresh water is closer to your nose than in any other outlet.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:25 AM   #35

This is not a sulfur smell. It is a sewer smell. The coach is brand new, 2017. I bought it 2 months ago and the smell started the first couple of days after I set it up at a park for the summer. I sanitized the water system right after I got it and the water supply is chlorinated. I have already dropped the coach off at the service facility. I dumped the black tank and put a packet in it with some water in the tank and left the gray tank about half full. I had to wait about an hour for the service mgr to get to me. I am in FL and it is hot, so during the wait the coach temp rose pretty high. When the service mgr went out with me and opened the door, the smell hit him in the face. So this smell has to be coming backwards thru one or more if the vents. I think this eliminates the water system. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I will post the findings.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:32 AM   #36

At least the smell didn't hide itself for the manager. I'm sure they'll be able to fix it and get you back to glamping.

Thanks for keeping us informed.
okcnewbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:05 AM   #37

Odor

We did have sewer odor coming up into my Coach on my new to me 99 Monoco,
what was happening was there was a small drip drip from the holding tank value
and so that small drip from the poop tank was traveling up into our bedroom that
was just above the holding tank value.
But my odor was always there not just using the shower or sink,after a full day
of back aching work replaced the gaskets in holding tank valve.
I think maybe if no broken piping there is some thing in your gray tank causing very bad odor and can smell like sewer smell.
I also had a very bad smell in my gray tank and flushed it and also added some
nice smelling cleaners from supermarket and less $$$$$ than RV store.
Nick
Old 08-19-2016, 06:19 AM   #38

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just experienced something similar. For us, it turned out to be the hot water heater. My guess is that the water in the heater got stagnant due to sitting for a month or so in the hot weather (we're not full time... yet). Drained the water heater and refilled with fresh water and the problem was solved. Hopefully yours is this simple.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:26 PM   #39

Water heater was empty when I got the coach. Filled on initial setup and have been using it on weekends ever since. Water in the park is chlorinated, so I don't think it had any chance to get stagnant.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #40

I had a sewage odor coming into my toilet area. At first I thought I was going to need to remove and repair the toilet.

After further investigation I found the toilet has an overflow tube near where the water comes out along the rim.

The overlfow tube is an S shape and goes directly to my black water tank. The S shape tube holds water similar to a sink P trap, but at different angles.

What happens is the S tube or trap sometimes drains allowing air from the black water tank to rise into and above the toilet.

Anyway this was what my odor problem was.

To rectify I filled the toilet with water above the S trap allowing it to fill up with water again.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:05 AM   #41

Talked to the dealer about the smell and was told they cleaned the gray tank & that should fix the problem. They said the AAV's were just vacuum relief valves so the drains would work properly & had nothing to do with any smell. I asked why I got the strong sewer smell when I removed the valve and he almost had a fit saying "you should never remove that valve, it will cause a smell in the coach". DUH, what have I been telling you Dude? So, at this point I have made no progress. Oh, he did say the roof vent was clear & working properly. Any suggestions? Just a reminder, this coach is brand new & used every weekend for about 2 months.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:40 AM   #42

My Thetford low profile toilet started produce orders again.

I'm going to need to take the toilet apart to determine the problem. I suspect the overflow hole & tube is at least part of the problem. There may be other mechanisms involved with the overflow hole and tube.

I've been thinking of replacing the low profile with new one possibly one made from porcelain.

RV toilets normally have some sort of overflow prevention possibly with other plumbing and mechanisms involved. Odors from the overflow prevention has been reported as a common problem among RV toilets.

Tags
odor, shower