Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Inside a cabinet or behind drawers, where there is no direct black or gray vent thru the roof, you will no doubt find 1-1/4 inch ABS pipe and a funny looking cap with a spring and rubber disc. It is a Air Advancement Valve, I think, and it lets air in when water is running in a sink, shower, etc. and closes off when water stops. Maybe you have one of these that is stuck in the open position.

We did...... PU....... Replaced it and all is well.
Good thought, they can go bad. This is what they look like, usually in drain to sink, kitchen, bath or washing machine.

1-1/2 in. ABS PTC In-Line Cheater Vent-39012 at The Home Depot

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #16

Scooter/Bflinn....Thank you...offers the next step in resolving all this. I simply hate the smell of my own poop....

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
Scooter/Bflinn....Thank you...offers the next step in resolving all this. I simply hate the smell of my own poop....
I do too -- the smell of yours, Mine don't stink!!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #18

I had that exact problem. It was the toilet leaking down and water laying on top of the tank.When the fan came on it would blow the odors into the coach.Accesssing the top of the tank and cleaning it solved my problem.Even after stopping the leak the odor will be there till you clean any residue off the tank.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #19

Just returned from a 9 day trip in NYS. The smell did not return. I will take a moment to pull the drawers and look for the AAV.... I bet your guess is correct.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Inside a cabinet or behind drawers, where there is no direct black or gray vent thru the roof, you will no doubt find 1-1/4 inch ABS pipe and a funny looking cap with a spring and rubber disc. It is a Air Advancement Valve, I think, and it lets air in when water is running in a sink, shower, etc. and closes off when water stops. Maybe you have one of these that is stuck in the open position.

We did...... PU....... Replaced it and all is well.
X2 on this advice. The air admittance valve can be purchased at a Home Depot/Lowes type store for $5 to $6 bucks. The gray water can smell as bad or worse than the black tank.
Fred
Old 12-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #21

Thank you everyone.... I was able to locate my air admittance valve and replace it. Harmony and peace....for the non stinky holiday.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #22

Here is what I found in my coach. The furnace has a hole in the duct above the holding tanks. When the furnace comes on it blows heated air into the tank area to keep them from freezing. (If I could have reached the hole I would have sealed it, not worth removing the grey water tank to get to it). Now the coach builder did not provide a return opening. Here is what happens, furnace has a return grill and warm air ducts, this is designed as a closed system that recycles the air. When you take some of that air and blow it into the tank area that air has to get back into the coach. That air will find its way back into the coach through every hole cut into that area. Along with that it will bring into the coach any smells it picks up from the tank area. (read it can smell all over the coach). While the furnace is pushing air outside of the coach and it is having trouble getting back to the furnace to get reheated it puts the coach into a negative pressure. Now if your coach has just one roof top vent the air will try to use it to get into the coach to get reheated. Any automatic vent, leaking throne valve, shallow trap and the like can leak air. If they are not in execellent shape they will become a source of smells. In this case a return from the tank area would have not helped. Sewage on top of a tank would have been a source no matter how the system is designed.

Tags
furnace, smell