Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2009, 07:45 AM   #1

Shaking Mirrors

I just purchased a 99 Windsong class A and found that both the left and right mirrors shake while driving. I was wondering if this is normal for this coach or it is a problem that needs repair. Anyone that has had this problem and fixed it please let me know the solution before I dig in to the repair myself
graycarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2009, 07:50 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi graycarpet,
Are the mirror mounting points tight on the coach? Can you move the mirrors, back and forth, with your hands?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #3

I can shake the mirrors by hand and they appear not to be in danger of falling off but the mountings underneath may be the source of the problem. I have not taken them off as yet to check. Before I go through that I wanted to see if it is normal or a problem that needs to be fixed. I'm also not sure of the best way to get to the anchor, i.e. inside or out side. The Windsong is manufactured by Forest River and they renamed the newer units "Georgetown" so Georgetowns may have a similar problem or quirk.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #4

I guess it is a Forest River problem ,mine are the same way. They have plain wood screws that hold it on and these rust and let go. You might try a larger and longer screw to fix the problem.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #5

Thanks so much for the response. I was afraid that may be the problem. I changing out a lot of screws with stainless steel so I don't have the rust problem anymore.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
When you try to move the mirrors with your hand, they should be very solid and not move. The the only fix is to understand the mounting of the mirrors, demount and remount with stronger components. A call to Forrest River might help you to understand how the mounting is constructed and the choices you have.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycarpet View Post
Thanks so much for the response. I was afraid that may be the problem. I changing out a lot of screws with stainless steel so I don't have the rust problem anymore.
I had this problem also, and correct. The old screws just rusted out and since they are screwed into the side there was nothing to grab. I doubt bigger screws will work very long. I drilled all the way through the wall , installed a square plastic plate and 4 inserts that I could screw into from the outside. Now the mirrors do not shake at all. I put RTV into the holes to keep water out. Seems to be working . the inside plastic panel (1/4 in thick) is also nice to hang things on , my radio mikes, coffee cup holders etc.

cheers

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycarpet View Post
I just purchased a 99 Windsong class A and found that both the left and right mirrors shake while driving. I was wondering if this is normal for this coach or it is a problem that needs repair. Anyone that has had this problem and fixed it please let me know the solution before I dig in to the repair myself
Hard to help w/o knowing what kind of mirror BUT, mine are ValVac or something similar (it is raining cats and cows here in Canton, TX so I ain't gonna go out and see exact spelling). Anyway, mine have loosened up a couple times in 6 years (including yesterday) and I dig out the Allen Wrench and crank the screw on the side down. Solved.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:18 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
graycarpet:

Say, for what it's worth, we had a vibrating mirror and discovered it resulted from a faulty adhesion between the back of the mirror itself and the movable mounting plate which moves the glass mirror when you adjust your mirror (left, right, up, down) from driver controls. These mirrors are merely attached to the moveable plate (often nylon or plastic about 2" x 5-6" inside the mirror housing behide the glass mirror). It appeared to be mounted with some kind of double faced tape!!! We remounted tape adhesive and ... no more vibration. Just thought I'd mention this. Steve & Lynette
Old 04-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #10
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Here is a link to a previous discussion for shaking Velvac mirrors.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/mirr...ions-4485.html
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #11

I had a shaking drivers side mirror on my coach. It was the Valvac mirror also. Upon closer inspection, I found that the water seal on the mirror had failed and was letting moisture in behind the mirror mount and in turn this had caused the screws to rust out. It was also letting water get into my lower outside compartment which had been driving me crazy looking for the leak. I removed the mirror and drilled 4 holes all the way through into the inside of the coach. I then put sealant to the backside of the mirror and mounted it to the coach side with long bolts that were fastened with nuts and washers from the inside of the coach. Now the mirror does not vibrate and I have solved the water problem in my lower compartment. Don't know if this is your problem but, you might take a close look.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #12

You could try gooping the hole first, then the new (and maybe larger thread diameter) screw w/a good marine sealant (maybe 3M 5200) then re-install the mirror assembly. Do this while the rig will be stationary for a few days for a full cure of the sealant. If you use stainless, and something like this to cement the screws into place, they should hold well.