Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2017, 09:37 PM   #1

Sharing a Class A

We are considering buying a Class A for use in our business. We are not at the point in our lives that we can Rv for months at a time but need one for about 7 weeks through out the year. We will be renting an Allegro Bus 43 ft this spring but renting gets very expensive. Are there many opportunities out there to share ownership with 2 or 3 other people as we rarely will use it in the summer months as we have a cabin. Is this feasible or is it best just to rent? Our next rental is about $7000.00 for a week. Any advice is appreciated.
Qbaby9410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2017, 10:22 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Are you talking about one 7 week chunk of the year or 7 weeks sprinkled throughout the year? Renting is expensive, you just have to weigh it against the purchase costs of what you would buy. The less time you use it the better a rental sounds as you don't have all the overhead.

There are consignment RV rental places that can do the legwork for you while you aren't using it. I've never used any but they provide insurance as part of the deal to cover the damage the renters will cause.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:42 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
A friend's family bought a Class C RV to share. I think there were four siblings that went in on it together--one was the owner of record and all four were supposed to split the cost of ownership. According to our friend, the whole experience was a nightmare. They were supposed to split expenses so they each took turns making the monthly payment. A couple of the siblings constantly "forgot" it was their turn to make the payment. Two of the siblings repeatedly used the coach and didn't clean it when they returned. They also didn't fill the tank when they were done using it so it caused a lot of hard feelings.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:30 AM   #5

rent
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #6

I am in a similar situation, and my solution was to buy an older quality motorhome that is in good condition, in my case it was a 2002 Safari Trek 28 ft for just over $20,000, I calculate that once I get the initial stuff fixed up that I wanted to do (LED headlights, new shocks, seelevel tank monitor, minor paint repair.... all totaling about $4,000) my ongoing monthly cost of ownership should be under $200 per month, $80 of which is insurance, I do however thankfully have a place to store it inside for free in a shed on the family farm which helps on the expenses.

A big part of the reason I choose to buy something in the 15 year old age range is this age is a good compromise between being reasonably modern on both styling and features, as well as being old enough for the depreciation curve to flatten and condition to take over as the driving factor. When shopping I found the same model that was 5-7 years older with weaker engine, and less well appointed interior selling for about $5,000 less than I paid, so I assume I can keep this motorhome and use it over the next 5 years and if I want out I can still get 3/4 of what I paid, in this case only a $5,000 hit.

In your case assuming a 41 ft motorhome is appropriate a quick look at PPL shows that 15-17 year old quality 41 ft diesel pushers with 2 slides start at about $44,000 (Newmar, Safari, Monaco), lets assume that with some shopping you can shave 10% off those prices at least so call it $40,000. Now lets assume you have to keep it in storage and your cost of ownership is a bit higher than mine, call it $300 per month since I don't know where you live, how much of DIY person you are, etc.

If we project that out over 5 years assuming no financing charges, and an end value at 3/4 of purchase cost or $30,000, you are looking at $3,600 per year cost of ownership, plus another $2,000 per year in expected depreciation over the next 5 years on a 15 year old coach. So roughly $5,600 per year in total cost of ownership, this does not include cost of operating wear and tear, engine repairs, etc.

So roughly for the cost of one week worth of rental per year you could own a 15 year old upper quality end coach, maybe 2 weeks depending on maintenance costs..
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #7

M/H partnership

A "few" years back I was a private pilot in a flying club that owned two planes,
a Cessna 150 and a Cessna skyhawk. There were 24 flying members and the expenses were:
Fixed, 1/24th of monthly payment, 1/24th of insurance payment and 1/24th of the cost of an "annual" inspection by a licensed A & P.
Variable, an hourly wet cost.

After i had to drop flying, I got interested in an RV. A friend told me about a deal too good to pass up. We bought it together with the same financial arrangement.

All checks were deposited in a joint account immediately after use. If one member used it 75% of the time then he was basically paying 75% of the repair.

M/H was to be clean and refueled and stored ready to roll.

It worked great until my partner's wife kept getting carsick.

That allowed me to purchase his half and I owned that rig for another 22 years. Absolutely no regrets.

Dar
2ndramtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #8

Rent.

Sharing sounds like a nightmare to me.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
well at $ 7000 a week time 7 weeks a year thats $ 42.000 in rental
fees i would buy a nice used motorhome with that $ 42.000 and use
it for many years plus right it off at tax time
Old 02-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I would think sharing is an excellent way to break up a friendship/relationship. There will always be someone that doesn't take care of it and everyone else will have a hissy fit.Rent!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbaby9410 View Post
...... Is this feasible or is it best just to rent? Our next rental is about $7000.00 for a week. Any advice is appreciated.

I would say it's typically not feasible unless you are willing to take on the RV and perhaps rent it out yourself.

....... I also can't help but think that if you found the right person and they were convinced that you could bring back their RV "better" than you found it at say $5,000 a week. That's a lot of money.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Rent or Share?

Find a good used 10-15 year old unit and buy it. I can only see disasters and unhappy situations happening with sharing an RV. Everyone likes different things and personalizing your own rig is 1/2 the fun. IMHO Good Luck.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
well at $ 7000 a week time 7 weeks a year thats $ 42.000 in rental
fees i would buy a nice used motorhome with that $ 42.000 and use
it for many years plus right it off at tax time
See answer below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I would think sharing is an excellent way to break up a friendship/relationship. There will always be someone that doesn't take care of it and everyone else will have a hissy fit.Rent!
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:00 PM   #14

Speak to an accountant to find out what you can deduct for taxes.

Tags
class a