Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #1

shearing pins on slide

We have a 2005 Georgie Boy Landau and we seem to shear a pin (or bolt) about every 5 times we move the slide. What could be the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2010, 04:23 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Has the mechanism been cleaned and lubricated? How about the front and rear end walls of the slide outs; have they been cleaned and polished lately? Do you notice any binding as the room is in motion? What kind of pins (there are shear pins and roll pins) or hardness of bolts have you been using.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me guess: Power Gear Rack & Pinion slide system.

Try a grade 5 bolt they seem to hang in there a bit longer. and I use Nylock nuts to insure they do not come off by vibration (Originals did on at least one bolt)

I buy 'em by the dozen by the way.. Saves time that way.

Though I've not had to replace one in a while for some reason.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Apparently you have a lot more resistance to slide movement than the designers anticipated. Look for things that would make it hard for the slide to move easily. A dirty, bent or misaligned gear mechanism is one possibility. Or maybe the bottom of the slide is dragging over the floor or catching on carpet or wood? A protruding bolt or screw can do that. Is either side of the slide scraping along the side of the opening?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #5

Shear Pins

We currently have bolts, but not sure what they are other than they are gold in color and the RV tech that put them in said they were stronger than others. Since then we purchased the same and replace them ourselves. When it warms up we will do all that you recommend.
Where can I purchase # 5 bolts??
Thanks for all the suggestions..............Dot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Has the mechanism been cleaned and lubricated? How about the front and rear end walls of the slide outs; have they been cleaned and polished lately? Do you notice any binding as the room is in motion? What kind of pins (there are shear pins and roll pins) or hardness of bolts have you been using.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:35 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Grade 5 bolts can be purchased at any good hardware or home improvement store. You may want to use even a grade 8 bolt. The person at the stores can show you how to identify bolt grades.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:36 AM   #7
paz

Grade 8 bolts have 6 radial lines on the head (aligned with the points of the hex), Grade 5 has 3 lines.

We break the Grade 8 bolts on out Power Gear slide all the time even though I keep the slides well-lubed. The slide moves relatively easily manually - I sometimes have to push it in or out to get it lined back up. I just keep a stock of spare Grade 8 bolts on hand, and I can replace one in about a minute.

Although Grade 8 bolts are harder and more brittle than Grade 5 bolts, Grade 8 has more shear strength. Therefore replacing the bolts with Grade 5 will probably cause then to break even more often. I ran out of Grade 8 bolts once and substituted a standard bolt. It lasted long enough to get the slide in, but it broke on the next time out.

HERE is a good article on the shear strength of Grade 8 vs. Grade 5.

I also found after the bolts had broken numerous times, the hole for the bolt in the square tubing that is used to drive the gears had become elongated. The tubing consists of 2 pieces that telescope to make the length adjustable. I removed the piece of tubing with the elongated hole, turned it end for end, and put a new 1/4" hole in the new end. This has reduced the frequency of breakage, but has not eliminated it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Grade 5 bolts can be purchased at any good hardware or home improvement store. You may want to use even a grade 8 bolt. The person at the stores can show you how to identify bolt grades.

"Stronger" usually means grade 8 or better... Turns out that the higher the number the higher the TENSILE strengt. So if you are trying to bolt two things together so they don't pull apart.. A grade 8 is better than a grade 5

But.. Grade 5 has greater SHEAR strength

Or so say the experts I consult with

Which is why I buy Grade 5 and also whey I've not had to replace one in a while.

But then I pull the slides in today so.. ..... .... ...
Old 01-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #9

I know I'm butting in on a MH thread however I feel I must comment. Replacing shear pins/bolts with a stronger grade is simply masking the real issue, and can/will cause the next weakest link (re: elongated holes in previous reply) to fail. If you have used grease to lubricate the sliding mechanisms I suggest removing all of it. Brake cleaner works well to remove grease and oil from hard to reach areas. After cleaning all sliding parts, lubricate them with Dry-Slide or similar product. This product leaves a dry film of molybdenum after the carrier evaporates. This means there is nothing to attract road grit and grime to mix with grease and oil to form a crude grinding compound; which makes movement even more abrasive. Just my opinion and experience FWIW.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
But.. Grade 5 has greater SHEAR strength.
Not according to the sources I found, one of which is linked above in my first post. Based on data from Mark's Handbook for Mechanical Engineers, the author of the article states the shear strength of a Grade 8 bolt is 91,000 psi, or 4,468 lbs for a 1/4" dia. bolt (the size used on my slide). The shear strength of a Grade 5 bolt is 75,000 psi, or 3,683 lbs for a 1/4" bolt.

But there may be something going on that can't be predicted from the data. Grade 8 bolts are potentially more brittle to begin with, and it's possible worn components cause flexing and fatigue faster in Grade 8 than in Grade 5. Also, Grade 8 may not be able to withstand the shock as the elongated hole in the shaft bangs against the bolt when the slide mechanism changes direction. My breakage usually occurred just as the slide started out or in. I haven't had much problem since I fixed the sloppy hole in the shaft; but if I do, I may follow your suggestion and try a Grade 5 bolt.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
We have a 2004 Georgie Boy Landau and have sheared two pins in the last 10 months. The first time the pin sheared as the slide neared the end of travel as it was going out. I found the problem, fixed it and didn't give it another thought. The second time it happened, the slide was going in, and near the end of travel. the pin sheared. I didn't know how to access the pin with the slide in, so I ended up taking it to a RV repair place. Hope I don't have to do that again. That hurts the pocket book.

thanks,
Old 01-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #12
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPhil View Post
We have a 2004 Georgie Boy Landau and have sheared two pins in the last 10 months. The first time the pin sheared as the slide neared the end of travel as it was going out. I found the problem, fixed it and didn't give it another thought. The second time it happened, the slide was going in, and near the end of travel. the pin sheared. I didn't know how to access the pin with the slide in, so I ended up taking it to a RV repair place. Hope I don't have to do that again. That hurts the pocket book.

thanks,
The problem that happened to you the second time also happened to me. The bolt on one end broke, but the bolt on the other end was intact allowing that end to still move. DW pressed the button to move the one end out a little at a time while I pushed the other end out from inside by bracing myself against the cabinets on the far wall. Once we got the slide almost all the way out, I could climb underneath and use a large Crescent wrench to turn the square shaft on the broken end to get it lined up correctly before putting the new bolt in.

If it's a small slide that has only one drive rack, you should be able to push the whole thing out manually.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #13

WOW...............I thought we were the only one having shear pin problems!!! We have had two other RVs with slides and never had a problem. First for everything.
Thanks to all..................still waiting for it to warm up so we can do your suggestions.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
By the way.... You know what you get for bragging how it's been a while since I had to replace one of those bolts... Yup, you guessed it.. It's been a "While" all right.

Two days

Two bolts needed replacement

Good thing I buy 'em by the dozen