Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #1

Shelves...

Our pantry in our motorhome came with a wierd sliding rack. We want to replace that with shelves. The inside sides of the pantry seem to only be a thin wood. I don't think screws would hold. The shelves do not need to be adjustable. I was thinking of adhering angle aluminum to the sides of the pantry with a heavy-duty double stick tape. Anyone try this? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #2

Double stick tape is not always dependable over time. Heat and cold can adversly affect its adhering properties. How about some of those vertical brackets that have shelf supports that tip and latch in-- can find them in Home Depot or similar type stores... they come in all sorts of bracket lengths.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewander View Post
Double stick tape is not always dependable over time. Heat and cold can adversly affect its adhering properties. How about some of those vertical brackets that have shelf supports that tip and latch in-- can find them in Home Depot or similar type stores... they come in all sorts of bracket lengths.
Those brackets are nice, but they need to be screwed to the inside walls and I'm pretty sure the inside walls are quite thin.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:10 PM   #4

I wanted to mount a water filter bracket to the inside of our sink cabinet in a more convenient spot to aid in filter replacement. Gotta love those wimpy walls! Once I determined the position of the bracket, I used 3M-5200 sealer/adhesive (Found in tubes @most hardware stores or West Marine) on wood strips (of appropriate thickness to handle the screws used to hold the filter bracket securely) and attachd them to the insides of the mounting wall. This aids in weight distribution over a longer/wider surface area on those wimpy walls. I had pre-drilled the strips to install small wood 'tack' screws to secure the strips while the 5200 set up.

A word of caution: Just make sure your strips are at the right height you want...for EVER. Once it cures, there is no changing your mind, well, without major destruction. This stuff is tenacious and impervious to water, heat, vibration and nuclear attack! Good luck with the project. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ahh.. but if you get them long enough, the extra screws should provide plenty of support, and the bottoms will rest on the floor. Besides, your looking for shear strength , not holding power (pulling).
Old 11-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Right idea, wrong material...

I assume this is a narrow pantry cabinet you're talking about.
Suggest something porous for wood glue to be used. Assume a quick-n-easy installation not requiring too much work: expansion anchors, screwdriver use, etc.

__A ledger of 1/2 x 3/4 could be installed. You can use a baseboard "shoe mold". Something with 1/2" horizontal surface for the shelf bearing. Spread wood glue along the length of the ledger for fully adhered.

BTW: You could use a stud finder at the front and rear vertical edges to confirm if the solid wood blocking [running vertically at the 4 corners] extends on the sides enough for you to hit it with a nail. If it's a mere 3/4" a pneumatic brad nailer could be angled to sink a brad nail. It only serves as a backup to the glue. The glue will insure the weight is distributed evenly onto the panel sides.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #7

All good advise, I'll think about this for another few days and maybe tackle the project this weekend. Thanks.

This is a narrow pantry, but still wide enough for pots and pans, so the slider system must go.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did the same in our previous 5er. I was lucky and could use toggle bolts and shelving boards from Lowes. Really made for more storage space.

BTW, if anyone needs the slidder frame a baskets, its still hanging in my shed.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #9

The previous owner of our coach cut 3/8" plywood to fit both sides of the pantry. He then installed thin adjustable metal strips to the plywood with screws. Has small clips which fit into the strips to hold each shelf. The plywood is not fastened in place at all. The shelves fit snug and hold the plywood against the sides. No nails, screws, glue or other fastener needed. Can be removed within minutes with no indication of it ever being there. Works great.

Bob

Sunny Sebastian Fl.
bobwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now, I like that idea. It allows you to customize, yet remove it.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwalter View Post
The previous owner of our coach cut 3/8" plywood to fit both sides of the pantry. He then installed thin adjustable metal strips to the plywood with screws. Has small clips which fit into the strips to hold each shelf. The plywood is not fastened in place at all. The shelves fit snug and hold the plywood against the sides. No nails, screws, glue or other fastener needed. Can be removed within minutes with no indication of it ever being there. Works great.

Bob
That is probably what I will do. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwalter View Post

Bob
I did the same thing in a trailer we had and converted a wardrobe into shelving to hold bus buckets on wooden rails (kids clothes). They could take the bus bucket to their room, load up the clothes, carry it out to the trailer and put it in the wardrobe. The wardrobe was about 4 foot high and had 5 shelves (3 kids)

I used 1/4" plywood, unless you will have a lot of weight, you probably don't need more.

alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote