Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2018, 11:07 AM   #1

Shipping addresses while on the road

I'm just wondering how full-timers get mail while they're on the road? I need to have something shipped to me while I am in Aurora Nebraska and trying to figure out away to be able to pick it up. Do Post Offices accept general delivery for random Travelers?
DoC808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2018, 11:11 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I have had items shipped right to the Resort/Campground where I am staying........just tell the office.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:23 AM   #3

X2. Ship to the campground. Just ask first. Also, some Post Offices do and some don’t accept general deliveries. UPS stores are an option, but they usually charge a few dollars.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I have had to get items shipped to a future RV park depending on shipping times. Just call and alert the park you are going to so they can expect your shipment.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I have had to get items shipped to a future RV park depending on shipping times. Just call and alert the park you are going to so they can expect your shipment.
Thanks I'm heading into town now to see what I have for options. I'm at a city park with full hookups but there is no office.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #6

It sounds as if you've got it figured out but if you run into snags once you get back from town, you might look into one of the places that offer private mailbox services (PMB) such as "The UPS Store" that might be in town or close to the town you're in.

Most for a small fee will accept packages on a one-time basis without actually renting a mailbox for a certain period of time.

We've been in a situation a few times where we wanted to have an online order delivered where we were boondocking and not staying at a campground. We used a UPS store to arrange a one-time only delivery shipped either by UPS or FedeX for what was then a $10 fee. We once used another independent "pack-n-ship" -type of store that offered PMBs where we made arrangement for a package to be delivered by USPS for a $5 fee. So as a last resort, check with any service that offers PMBs in the town you're in to see if they will accept a one-time delivery when you're not staying at a campground or RV park.

edit: after doing some internet searching, it appears that not all UPS stores offer the service. You'd want to find one that offers what is called "hold for pickup" services.

"Some UPS stores offer a "hold for pickup" service where customers can receive packages on a one time basis at our store. This is perfect for visitors with luggage, students, and those with generally undeliverable addresses. Please send packages via UPS or FEDEX only... US MAIL will not be accepted."

This appears to be the closest UPS store to Aurora NE:

The UPS Store at Grand Island NE

You can at least contact them to inquire if you find no other alternative.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #7

In Quartzsite, if you order something, you need to watch for who the shipper is.....std. shipping is the post office and you use, if stay'n in a campground, the campgrounds po box....if it's any other shipper, you use the street address.....the post office will NOT hold anything if it's from a shipper with a street address.....they also have no delivery service
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
It sounds as if you've got it figured out but if you run into snags once you get back from town, you might look into one of the places that offer private mailbox services (PMB) such as "The UPS Store" that might be in town or close to the town you're in.

Most for a small fee will accept packages on a one-time basis without actually renting a mailbox for a certain period of time.

We've been in a situation a few times where we wanted to have an online order delivered where we were boondocking and not staying at a campground. We used a UPS store to arrange a one-time only delivery shipped either by UPS or FedeX for what was then a $10 fee. We once used another independent "pack-n-ship" -type of store that offered PMBs where we made arrangement for a package to be delivered by USPS for a $5 fee. So as a last resort, check with any service that offers PMBs in the town you're in to see if they will accept a one-time delivery when you're not staying at a campground or RV park.

edit: after doing some internet searching, it appears that not all UPS stores offer the service. You'd want to find one that offers what is called "hold for pickup" services.

"Some UPS stores offer a "hold for pickup" service where customers can receive packages on a one time basis at our store. This is perfect for visitors with luggage, students, and those with generally undeliverable addresses. Please send packages via UPS or FEDEX only... US MAIL will not be accepted."

This appears to be the closest UPS store to Aurora NE:

The UPS Store at Grand Island NE

You can at least contact them to inquire if you find no other alternative.
Thank you, I'll look into that first thing tomorrow. It seems like everything in this town is closed on Sunday. Literally there is not a single place open maybe the gas station. LOL
Old 06-24-2018, 02:39 PM   #9

USPS General Delivery

Go to https://tools.usps.com/go/POLocatorAction!input.action , and enter the zip code where you would like to receive mail.

Many locations may be drug stores and other location that may only provide stamps, but regular post office branches will appear. Select a regular branch location and a page with the services offered at that location will appear. General delivery is one of the services listed if that is provided at that branch.

Mail may be held for 10, 15 or 30 days, depending upon other services provided at that post office or arrangements that you can make with the local post master.
Sherpa Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #10

Sherpa Vern has a very good suggestion if your package is being shipped by USPS. If it's being shipped via UPS or FedEx, the post office can't accept it through General Delivery is what I was told.

And, one thing I didn't think about, I believe you can also have UPS or FedEx hold the package at their facility if you're near the facility that accommodates packages to be held.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa Vern View Post
Go to https://tools.usps.com/go/POLocatorAction!input.action , and enter the zip code where you would like to receive mail.

Many locations may be drug stores and other location that may only provide stamps, but regular post office branches will appear. Select a regular branch location and a page with the services offered at that location will appear. General delivery is one of the services listed if that is provided at that branch.

Mail may be held for 10, 15 or 30 days, depending upon other services provided at that post office or arrangements that you can make with the local post master.
Excellent, the post office right down the street has general delivery. I'll get the address and talk to them tomorrow thanks everyone.