Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #1

shock absorbers

After 7 years of RVing in a diesel pusher we have purchased a gas 34 Tiffin. We are very uncomfortable with the sway! We feel too much sway while driving in the neighborhood much less on the highway! We were told that we could get stronger shocks. Anyone have answers?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #2

Hi RL, welcome to the forum, it would helpful if you could provide a bit more information on your coach such as which chassis you have, Ford or Workhorse P or W chassis.

One solution to reduce sway is the installation of heavy duty sway bars front and rear. Also the installation of a Davis Tru-Trac bar may help some. Many folks found that installation of Koni FSD shock absorbers helped in reducing roll and sway.

Hopefully other forum members will jump in with even better information.

Good luck and safe travels...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I installed the KONI FSD on my Dynasty. Very pleased. I did have the "newer" Bilsteins.
jsabatinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #4

I installed the Koni adjustables on our coach and they really changed the ride. But going from a DP to a gas is going to be a learning curve.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLRasmussen View Post
After 7 years of RVing in a diesel pusher we have purchased a gas 34 Tiffin. We are very uncomfortable with the sway! We feel too much sway while driving in the neighborhood much less on the highway! We were told that we could get stronger shocks. Anyone have answers?
I went thru what you are talking about on our 2007 CC. There is an awful lot of info on this site about different shocks. I ended up with Road King's and it was like night and day. Our coach also swayed but my concern was with porpoising. The best mod I have ever done...

My advice would be to buy the best shock you can. This is not a place to try to save some money. You will not be sorry!

Good Luck

Dick
Old 04-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLRasmussen View Post
There are several problems which may be contributing to your sway problems. I would suggest that new shocks (I like the Koni FSD's) would benefit your ride quality, but also consider track bars and sway bars to help control your concerns.

Shocks can add a lot to your ride, but if you're having specific issues, there may be other after-market solutions which will make a significant improvement in your handling.

Lots of posts on this forum regarding this concern, and what people have done to improve their handling.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the sway you are describing is a side to side roll, put on heavier shocks (I like Bilsteins) and heavier front AND rear anti-roll bars.

Ken
Old 05-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
Koni - Knoi- Knoi- Knoi - Knoi
Tried all the rest - garbage.
Try the shocks before adding ani sway bars and run with full tanks of fuel and water.. You won't loose any real milage and it will keep the unit more bottom heavy - therefore more staable.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLRasmussen
Assuming a new coach and what you describe, it sounds like you need anti-sway bars. Shocks are more for ride.

Since you haven't responded to what chassis you have, I can't recommend anything specific.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #10

You need to fully analysis your problem before you start throwing money at the problem. Best way is to talk to an expert like Hendersons in Oregon, or Redlands in Calif. Call them and discuss you coaches problems and they can give you real solutions and what each will cost.
Also, you must make sure you have correct air pressure is all tires and alignment is correct on all wheels. Either, air pressure or bad alignment can cause handling problems
Old 05-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

If the problem is indeed "sway", then you need anti-sway bars, not shocks. Rear air bag assist might help also. Shocks aren't going to do much for sway - they don't even come into play very much until the suspension is compressed, e.g. a pot hole or curb.

You have transitioned from an DP's air suspension to leaf springs and it is going to be different feel.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote