Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
Wow. Thank you everybody for the replies and the info. This is scary stuff. I guess it just wasn't my time to go yet. I've unplugged the RV from the outlet until I can look into the issue (it's raining again, of course). As long as the RV is unplugged, I'm safe though, correct? Would I be better off plugging her into a GFI outlet in the future?
I usually have mine plugged in to the house and Yes I do use a ground fault outlet. Yes again it is very dangerous not to. But you do have a grounding problem somewhere. Ohm out your mh power cord.

TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #16

I tried to read all replies before this suggestion and I apologize if I missed it. Did you unhook from shore and run the generator to see if it was only during shore hook up? The reason I ask is that we had the same thing happen to us at a state park. I immediately unhooked the shore turned on the generator and the problem went away until I hooked back into shore. So at that point in time after checking the cord on the shore side of our Discovery MH I ruled out that it was the coach. We changed sites a day later and did not have any more problems.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater View Post
Did you unhook from shore and run the generator to see if it was only during shore hook up?
I thought about that, but to be honest, I was afraid of getting another tingle-or worse. Is there a way I could turn on the generator and check if the chassis is hot without getting a shock?

Also, I checked the outlet and the extension cord this morning with a plug in type circuit tester. I plugged it in to the outlet first and it flashed green (connections ok) then plugged the extension cord into the outlet and plugged the tester into the extension cord and it flashed green again. So it's not the outlet, or extension cord.

I also checked the ground plug on the MHs cord and the connection looked good.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #18

I checked the coach inside. One side of the coach had 60 to 70 v and the otherside had 120. So for some reason only one leg was effected but only hooked to shore. Again with the generator running I got 120 both sides. Wierd I know but to answer your question I do not know how to check it.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #19

Does your inverter / converter pulse when hooked to shore?
Old 08-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Does your inverter / converter pulse when hooked to shore?
My inverter is usually turned off. I've never even used it. My converter hums quietly...
Old 08-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystroke View Post
Ohm out your mh power cord.
How do I do this?
Old 08-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #22

Well... I plugged the RV back into shore power. (GFI this time) and checked all of the outlets inside with the circuit tester and they all tested out fine. All green.

I'm stumped...
Old 08-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #23

If you have a DVM set it to OHMs (2k range is good) and check your RV plug (each prong) to the spot you felt the tingle. The dark prong should not give you a reading to that location with all of your breakers off. Check turning each breaker on one at a time, inverter being last. Again you should not get a reading. If one gives you a reading you are looking for a wire minus insulation going from the breaker to the appliance (or in) or a neutral wire that is not connected or failed. That should be able to narrow it down.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #24

Did you find the problem?
Old 09-03-2011, 06:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Did you find the problem?
Not yet. I haven't had time to work on it since the hurricane. Lotsa damage here, but none to the MH luckily...

Tags
door