Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Numerous time, I have been sitting at an intersection with a LEO in the front position and have some clown blow through a red light right in front of the officer and he continues on his way and never bothers to get the red light runner.

Also been told by the local LEOs that they cannot patrol a certain area for chronic speeders that is at their shift change time and they can't look into it.

They have more excuses to not work than a dog has fleas. As usual, all it takes to make the whole lot look bad is a few bad ones. I know a number rof dedicated LEOs that will not out up with this behavior, but there are the others that expect it.
I don`t know why your raising this too a personal level. Two weeks ago I went to the Washington state Troopers memorial service. he was killed by a driver he had pulled over.....I think for speeding. So why don`t take a minute and don`t make it personal....Dog has fleas.....holy cow..and what have you done today

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #30

Yay, Fred...

One only has to observe a lot of cell phone users and texters to realize they are distracted while driving. If it's against the law where you live, good for you to be ticketing these people. Obedience of laws is supposed to be voluntary but, if people won't comply, the alternative is puni$hment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
Ok...don`t take cheap shots at LEO`s....most tickets I`m giving these days are for talking and texting on cell phones. But at the heart of bad driving is speed, its the largest characteristic of a bad driver. By the way we like bagels not donuts.

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
The one I like best is, "JOB SECURITY"!
I like that one. My wife, being an RN, will always have work with large supply of people with no common sense and no common courtesy on the roads...
Old 03-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #32

One bad driver does not a trend make.

Neither does emotional commentary alter their driving.

Ed
Old 03-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #33

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Last trip we limited it to 350 per day and I'm working on a map to cut it down to roughly 300 per day and if we see something we want to see, we'll do less.

My motto: 300 miles or 3:00 PM, whichever comes first.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Cranial rectitus might fit.

JoAnn
Old 03-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #35

There's always the "big black dog" maneuver. All anchors out then "Didn't you see that big black dog?" When I was riding motorcycles professionally, I also used a trick where I'd slow down gradually just a few mph, then press the brake pedal just enough for the light to come on and give it full gas. I'd be a half mile ahead before the tailgater figured it out.

Incidentally, a doctor friend came up with a pseudo-medical term for people like those drivers. He calls them "encephalophallics".
Old 03-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #36

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I believe the OP was more about the general unsafe attitudes of some drivers. He was passed in a NO PASSING ZONE while traveling the speed limit. I'm not an 'old retired guy' and my eyesight and reflexes are excellent. That does not give me the privilege of not obeying the law, or behaving like a spoiled jackass when behind the wheel.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #37

Laws will be broken
(Boats leak)

Try a glutten-free diet
(Ignore the news headlines)
Old 03-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #38

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
Ok...don`t take cheap shots at LEO`s....most tickets I`m giving these days are for talking and texting on cell phones. But at the heart of bad driving is speed, its the largest characteristic of a bad driver. By the way we like bagels not donuts.
good one Fred!
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
As another retired commercial driver, my point of view on the above is that most people only think the way they drive is the right way. I have had complaints over the years of passing someone over the speed limit. But what was not said when the complaint was made was the complainer could not maintain a steady speed causing me to shift gears constantly to remain behind him. The bonus of all that is when you get to a hill you are crawling up there in a much lower gear and the extra fuel you use is another bonus. At the time I would get a safe place to pass they would then speed up to keep me from passing them. There are lots of folks out there that are good drivers but there are lots that are not. This includes truckers, rvers, policemen, little old ladies etc. My theory is if someone is on my butt I will let them by, it is easier to watch them in front of you than behind.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot going on here.
Bad drivers will always be bad drivers, don't contribute to malice what can be exlpaned be ignorance.
Even good drivers can have a bad day.

Watch out for those drivers that are agressive and try and avoid them. They are usaly pretty easy to spot coming up and are gone ahead pretty quick.

Ive been towing RV's for years and now training for a comersal licence as a second
career. Of the many things you learn that is as driver of any large vehical is that you have to be watch for everone not just your self, not to assume you have the right of way even if you are suposed to and to give the right of way and not use your size to rule the road. Leave lots of space around you and (right from the book) if some one is tailgating you decelarate gradualy and cover the breake peddle so the lights come on then resume normal speed.

The point is that we know the rules and its up to us to drive the safest we can not only for ourselves but for others we share the road with even if they dont respect our efforts.

For what I realy think about the agressive @$$ Clowns on the road is hopefully they only take each other out. I also call them "organ doners" and "spare parts" (I may need some of those parts in a few years).

Be Safe.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #41

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Seems that the only thing the LEOs do is write speeding tickets. I can't remember the last time I saw an officer tag someone for tailgating, unsafe lane changes, aggressive driving, etc. Maybe we need an incentive to get them to watch for bad driving....like 10 tickets for other than speeding, they get a free dozen donuts...

How about this: Incentive pay for increase in aggrigate SAFETY on their beat. A decrease in accidents = an increase in pay (and vice versa). Then let them go figure out what to do. I guarantee you we'd see a lot more visible police presence (patrolling) and a lot less hiding in the bushes (trolling) shooting radar. PLUS, we'd get the ancillary benefit of SAFER ROADS.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Went to an accident scene yesterday....the cyclist drove thru a four lane intersection controlled by a pedestrian activated traffic light without stopping and was struck by a car travelling thru the intersection. Tragic, last report before shift end was that she was still in surgery with a less than 50 percent chance. She had probably run thru intersections a hundred times before but eventually the odds caught up to her. Goes with all forms of bad/aggresive driving. Eventually the odds catch up to you. Its should be your hope that your not in his view when it happens.

Tags
motorhome