Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by trampsrv View Post
bad drivers are bad drivers no matter what they drive.you cant teach common sense!
...and you can't fix STUPID!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by srrobe View Post
...and you can't fix STUPID!
The problem is all of the stupid people are breeding with other stupid people and the gene pool is not getting any better.

Ken

Old 03-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #45

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The problem is all of the stupid people are breeding with other stupid people and the gene pool is not getting any better.

Ken
They keep getting in when the lifeguard isn't watching.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieSCPO View Post
How do you know the officers are just writing speeding tickets? As a retired 31 year professional LEO, I find your comment uninformed, misguided and downright Insulting! Maybe I'm taking it a tad personally, but really!!!
That's it, I'm out of here and on my way to Dunkin Donuts!

Bob
Use your AARP card, buy a coffee and the doughnut is free.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #47

People become complacent with anything they do on a regular basis. This is human nature. Combine this with ego and both can create some bad situations. I'd bet every single 1 of us do something we don't think is improper but in reality it is. We do not even realize we are doing it. We ALL need to go out on our next 2 drives and actually THINK about every action we make. Most of us will find we didn't even realize we were at fault of doing something incorrect. Be it a rolling stop, driving in a passing lane when not passing, following too closely, stopping at end of a highway entrance ramp instead of merging, paying attention to a cell phone, gps, engine monitoring system, eating, drinking etc etc. No one can fix bad drivers but us drivers. We all should use some of the effort put forth complaining about others and use part of that to look at ourselves. Granted we won't fix the entire problem, but we may be part of the problem and we don't even realize this.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just came across I-10 with speed limits of 75 & 80 and not once did I see anyone exceeding the limit. In fact, most everyone was running at about 70 mph and were very well behaved. I was very pleased and surprised.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #49

Well you weren't in California!
firedoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:35 AM   #50

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I believe the OP was more about the general unsafe attitudes of some drivers. He was passed in a NO PASSING ZONE while traveling the speed limit. I'm not an 'old retired guy' and my eyesight and reflexes are excellent. That does not give me the privilege of not obeying the law, or behaving like a spoiled jackass when behind the wheel.
Yep, happened to me yesterday, doing the speed limit in the MH towing the Ody, some fool passed me in the no passing (left turn lane through a small city). Until we got to a four lane road he was never more than one car ahead of me. He also swerved into another turn pocket to pass but it ended too soon.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:47 AM   #51

I was surprised about the impression we motor home drivers are leaving in states like Texas. New at this and I am glad we chose Texas as our winter home. Now most Americans are good drivers and will ease up or speed up to help you make a lane change. They will put up with you traveling at 55 rather than 65-75 or more and not tail gate or honk or PASS WHILE UNSAFE. And never the "Salmon Arm Salute".

But our stay in Texas was tremendous because those Texans go out of their way to be polite and helpful and it shows in their driving-here's to you Texas!

But I have to admit I have seen more snowbirds pass me flying high down a long grade than any other drivers. Some I can chalk up to inexperience as we prairie people are used to flat land and for many their motor home is their first big rig experience. I for one can vouch that big city driving is NOT done a lot in Saskatchewan.

So Canadians, remember we are guests in another country, be good ambassadors for our country and brush up on our driving skills and driving manners. Its the least we can do.

And to all the LEO out there, tip of my hat to you-jurisdictions are different in how much emphasis they put in visibility-a highway patrol in Ontario-extinct since 1947-and they wonder why they have so much racing on the 401.

All the penalties they have for over 150 klicks per hour-won't make any difference if there are no officers to enforce them. And 140 is more common than 110- bad choice Ontario!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #52
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
Ain't that the truth!!!!
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
People become complacent with anything they do on a regular basis. This is human nature. Combine this with ego and both can create some bad situations. I'd bet every single 1 of us do something we don't think is improper but in reality it is. We do not even realize we are doing it. We ALL need to go out on our next 2 drives and actually THINK about every action we make. Most of us will find we didn't even realize we were at fault of doing something incorrect. Be it a rolling stop, driving in a passing lane when not passing, following too closely, stopping at end of a highway entrance ramp instead of merging, paying attention to a cell phone, gps, engine monitoring system, eating, drinking etc etc. No one can fix bad drivers but us drivers. We all should use some of the effort put forth complaining about others and use part of that to look at ourselves. Granted we won't fix the entire problem, but we may be part of the problem and we don't even realize this.
Very good advice!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #54
TGR

When I see a driver like this one I clap my hands and congratulate them. They just won the a**h*** of the day award.

Come to think about it, I haven't given out that award in a while.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #55

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Though to me the RV life style is about stopping and smelling the roses as it were.

Some folks are just in the devil's own hurry to get where they are going.

No I don't know where they THINK they are going but the fact is we are all going to the same destination in this life.. Our funeral.. And for one I'm in NO HURRY to get there.

In fact I plan on arriving late, As late as possible (And yes that's a pun)

IF he's in such an all fire hurry to get to his funeral.. Let him.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #56

While visiting New Hampshire I was behind a van going very slowly down the mountains.Stayed behind him for a long time till it was safe to pass.He was driving with one hand and a movie camera in the other.I decided to return the favor and gave him a long view of the back of my car in his movies.

Tags
motorhome