Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2012, 10:44 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Some folks are just in the devil's own hurry to get where they are going.
Some folks do work and do not have the same quantity of free time as a retiree.
Not sayings it's OK to drive reckless or fast....just saying some folks don't have time to "poke along" and or some folks may have no interest in the sights available in their travels...they are just worried about getting to their destinations.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2012, 11:29 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Before I retired last year I spent 40+ years working in an industry where everyone wanted everything yesterday, every day. The day I retired I told my wife that I now have two speeds; mosey and meander. I'm not sure which one is faster and I'm in no hurry to find out.

Our coach gets it's best fuel mileage at around 62-63 mph and that's where I try to hold it when we are on good road. Rarely ever faster than that. If we get into some steep grades on secondary roads I'll pull over and let traffic pass at the top of a hill if there is room. If not, they'll just have to be patient.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:34 PM   #59

Fortunately there are not too many like him!
Dave
Old 04-01-2012, 01:22 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidej M View Post
Fortunately there are not too many like him!
Dave
I agree,
Why is it that just because one is retired,or feels incompetent as a driver, you have to be inconsiderate of others. Making other drivers sit behind your Motorhome is a thoughtless act. I sure hope I don't run across people with that kind of attitude when I am out driving. I would ruin their day !!
Just for the record, fortunatly, I have not met such a clown on the road.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahon1993 View Post
When I see drivers like that I think, drunk, drugs or just an idiot.
Greg
Funny, all I think of is "Man, that's exactly why I don't rent my coach out!"

On the last trip home from Florida my DW got chatting in a Pilot station with the folks in the next coach over while she was de-watering the dogs. The lady asked if she knew how to stop the water in the toilet bowl from sloshing out when they drove.

She said the RV rental company told them lots of stuff, but not that.

My DW just told her to only put a few ounces in the bowl after a flush instead of filling it.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by trampsrv View Post
bad drivers are bad drivers no matter what they drive.you cant teach common sense!
you can't fix stupid
Old 04-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #63

I was on the opposite end of a similar story, pulling out of Key West in March at about MM35 a fellow pulling a 5th wheel pulled out in front of me and forgot to speed up, it's single lane 55mph road after I had to slow way down he slowly sped up to 45. Going through the 45 mph he did 35, through the 35mph he did 25. By this point the 2 cars between us had passed albeit unsafely. I start tapping the air horn hoping this guy gets the point, nope this went on till were stopped at a draw bridge for a sail boat. I told DW to sit tight I would be right back, got out walked up and asked the older gentleman if everything was OK, he said yes, I then directed his attention to the 2 miles of traffic behind him and asked if he would pull over the first chance and let traffic pass. Walked back to my rig and by now DW was having seizures worrying that I would strangle the old fellow. He pulled over the first opportunity and I waved as we went past, only with a single digit. Rest of the trip to Savannah was uneventful.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson View Post
I was on the opposite end of a similar story, pulling out of Key West in March at about MM35 a fellow pulling a 5th wheel pulled out in front of me and forgot to speed up, it's single lane 55mph road after I had to slow way down he slowly sped up to 45. Going through the 45 mph he did 35, through the 35mph he did 25. By this point the 2 cars between us had passed albeit unsafely. I start tapping the air horn hoping this guy gets the point, nope this went on till were stopped at a draw bridge for a sail boat. I told DW to sit tight I would be right back, got out walked up and asked the older gentleman if everything was OK, he said yes, I then directed his attention to the 2 miles of traffic behind him and asked if he would pull over the first chance and let traffic pass. Walked back to my rig and by now DW was having seizures worrying that I would strangle the old fellow. He pulled over the first opportunity and I waved as we went past, only with a single digit. Rest of the trip to Savannah was uneventful.
Same thing happened to me coming out of Key West. You see a long line of vehicles and at the front is an RV. These are the folks that drive in their "Sweet Spot"
Old 04-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #65

I believe in some mountainous western states like Colorado, it's a law that a vehicle must pull over if holding up more than 6 (?) cars. I always try to do this if there's a safe pull-off, and usually get a friendly wave or horn honk from the people I have held up. Does anyone have specific information about what states have such a law, and the number of cars behind?

Quote:
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Same thing happened to me coming out of Key West. You see a long line of vehicles and at the front is an RV. These are the folks that drive in their "Sweet Spot"
Since the cost of diesel has risen I've started to drive in my sweet spot 62mph on multilane highways. This guy couldn't figure out how to stay up with traffic. If I'm holding folks up I'll pull over.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Since the cost of diesel has risen I've started to drive in my sweet spot 62mph on multilane highways. This guy couldn't figure out how to stay up with traffic. If I'm holding folks up I'll pull over.
The unfortunate part that it is just a two lane road with no room to pull over.

I do have a question. Just what is a sweet spot ?
I normally drive about 70 mph when legal, which is most of the Western States and at the posted limit if lower. I get 8+ mpg at 70 and 8 if I go slower.
What determines this sweet spot ? Fear, terror, a poor running coach, a timid driver. An ill handeling coach. Please clue me in.
I have driven well over a million miles and have never experienced this sweet spot. Is it like the "G" spot. I need help with this. Thanks !
Old 04-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #68

You can't fix stupid!
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
I believe in some mountainous western states like Colorado, it's a law that a vehicle must pull over if holding up more than 6 (?) cars. I always try to do this if there's a safe pull-off, and usually get a friendly wave or horn honk from the people I have held up. Does anyone have specific information about what states have such a law, and the number of cars behind?

I have seen signs in western Washington state that say you must pull over if you have more than 5 or 6 (?) cars following you.
Only place I remember seeing it posted.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #70
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy

I have seen signs in western Washington state that say you must pull over if you have more than 5 or 6 (?) cars following you.
Only place I remember seeing it posted.

It's a law in Alaska as I remember it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome