Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #71

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
As another retired commercial driver, my point of view on the above is that most people only think the way they drive is the right way. I have had complaints over the years of passing someone over the speed limit. But what was not said when the complaint was made was the complainer could not maintain a steady speed causing me to shift gears constantly to remain behind him. The bonus of all that is when you get to a hill you are crawling up there in a much lower gear and the extra fuel you use is another bonus. At the time I would get a safe place to pass they would then speed up to keep me from passing them. There are lots of folks out there that are good drivers but there are lots that are not. This includes truckers, rvers, policemen, little old ladies etc. My theory is if someone is on my butt I will let them by, it is easier to watch them in front of you than behind.
+1

I don't care what speed the vehicle in front of me is doing. Just that they more or less pick a speed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
The unfortunate part that it is just a two lane road with no room to pull over.

I do have a question. Just what is a sweet spot ?
I normally drive about 70 mph when legal, which is most of the Western States and at the posted limit if lower. I get 8+ mpg at 70 and 8 if I go slower.
What determines this sweet spot ? Fear, terror, a poor running coach, a timid driver. An ill handeling coach. Please clue me in.
I have driven weevryll over a million miles and have never experienced this sweet spot. Is it like the "G" spot. I need help with this. Thanks !
To me it's the speed that's most economical and gets me there in a reasonable time. 70 mph is a nice travel speed but I pick up over 1 mpg by driving 62. that's a gallon of fuel every 70 miles, saving $100 on the 1400 mile trip to the Keys is ok by me.
henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson View Post
To me it's the speed that's most economical and gets me there in a reasonable time. 70 mph is a nice travel speed but I pick up over 1 mpg by driving 62. that's a gallon of fuel every 70 miles, saving $100 on the 1400 mile trip to the Keys is ok by me.
True, but you are then adding an extra hour a day to the drive and that "could" mean adding a extra day at a campground.
But your answer helped me find my sweet spot. It is in my recliner at 3 in the afternoon watching everyone pulling in long after I arrived.
I have to admit that I do love to drive. As the song says " I have a short way to go and a long time to get there"
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
As a retired California Highway Patrol sergeant we had several names for such fools, several printable. The one I like best is, "JOB SECURITY"! With such fools around my successors will always have work. Plus, they are breeders, so many generations of LEO will be employed IF the high fuel prices don't keep everybody home or on bicycles.
That's funny as hell. Thanks for your service Oldchief I agree, they are probably breeding and people like this need to be removed from gene pool. The bad news is they are probably too old and their offspring are already out there keeping the law enforcement gainfully employed.
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My wife and I volunteered at a state park in New Mexico this past winter. Our main job was to greet and talk to arriving campers. I found that most were considerate and careful drivers but as usual there are the few that are just jerks. Though they were a small portion of our guest they are the ones other drivers remember and give those of us that do operate our vehicles with care a bad name.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #76

I have seen several people mention the "pass, dive in front & hit the brakes hard" people. I was speaking to my insurance agent, who is a long time friend, about this and he highly suggested a dash cam. He mentioned several clients having stupid people doing stupid things and then lying about it. The dash cam kind of takes the wind out of those sails. And the lie goes from a "he said she said" subrogation issue to an "aw sh1t" issue. He did caution me that the dash cam can also show you being the stupid person doing the stupid thing...
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #77

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Seems that the only thing the LEOs do is write speeding tickets. I can't remember the last time I saw an officer tag someone for tailgating, unsafe lane changes, aggressive driving, etc. Maybe we need an incentive to get them to watch for bad driving....like 10 tickets for other than speeding, they get a free dozen donuts.

Here's a suggestion, Fire All The Cops!! And here's how you do it....

OBEY THE TRAFFIC LAWS!!!

If everyone will voluntarily comply with the traffic laws, the cops will have no need to write tickets. I know; I know. A novel idea, right? but writing tickets is effective. Next time you see some idiot driving like a bat out of hell, watch his reaction when a marked patrol unit comes into view. Miraculously his driving improves drastically.

And next time you see a patrol car at Dunkin Doughnuts, please remember that they are probably there for the COFFEE not the doughnuts. Doughnut shops do make the best coffee and it is always fresh.

happy trails
Txcirclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #78

Quote:
True, but you are then adding an extra hour a day to the drive and that "could" mean adding a extra day at a campground.
But your answer helped me find my sweet spot. It is in my recliner at 3 in the afternoon watching everyone pulling in long after I arrived.
I have to admit that I do love to drive. As the song says " I have a short way to go and a long time to get there"
I'm retired it takes me as long as it takes me, I drive until I'm tired 6 hours, 10 hours what ever, if it takes another day and a campground isn't in the budget it's Walmart time.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #79

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you don't want to run the speed limit make it easy for the guy to pass that does!
Old 04-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
If you don't want to run the speed limit make it easy for the guy to pass that does!
You are absolutely right. After all of the posts on here, you got right to the point. Who cares how fast anyone drives just as they are polite and make room for others so the don't impede their travel. Unfortunatly there are some that pretend to be drivers yet don't have a clue.
I was on a two lane road in Florida with a posted speed limit of 55 mph and a broken line in the middle. There was a convoy of four Prevosts driving nose to tail at 35mph. They didnt have enough sense to leave room between vehicles for a car to pass each one rather having to pass their 200 foot train in one shot.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #81

Quote:
You are absolutely right. After all of the posts on here, you got right to the point. Who cares how fast anyone drives just as they are polite and make room for others so the don't impede their travel. Unfortunatly there are some that pretend to be drivers yet don't have a clue.
I was on a two lane road in Florida with a posted speed limit of 55 mph and a broken line in the middle. There was a convoy of four Prevosts driving nose to tail at 35mph. They didnt have enough sense to leave room between vehicles for a car to pass each one rather having to pass their 200 foot train in one shot.
They my friend to put it politely were hiney holes
Old 04-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
I believe the post started with the driver driving the speed limit, don't recall them saying they were old. There is no excuse for dangerous driving. I drive the speed limit. If someone is unhappy with this, pass me when it's safe, don't ride my bumper. I'm not going to speed up to suit your driving habits.
Ditto. We went 50 to 52 MPH all the way to FL this past winter. We stayed in the slow lane. Anyone who didn't like it could pass us easily.

We saw RV's hurtling down the Interstates like bats out of hell. Scary,... as if something happened, they would never be able to stop.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson View Post
I'm retired it takes me as long as it takes me, I drive until I'm tired 6 hours, 10 hours what ever, if it takes another day and a campground isn't in the budget it's Walmart time.
That's the spirit. We do about 250 to 275 a day, then, with no CGs near the Interstates, we look for a Wally World and their wonderful BBQ chicken and potato salad for dinner. In the AM we head out early thoroughly refreshed.

One WalMart we stayed at this time had at least 12 RVs parked to the side of the lot. But it was quiet, well lit and we felt safe. Slept like babies.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=RanCarr;

We saw RV's hurtling down the Interstates like bats out of hell. Scary,... as if something happened, they would never be able to stop. [/QUOTE]

I have driven all over the United States and have yet to see an RV exceeding the speed limit on the interstates, much less driving like a bat out of hell.

Could it be that some folks think that anyone who exceeds their own speed is wild and reckless ? Hummmm

Tags
motorhome