Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2020, 04:50 PM   #1

Shoddy roof replacement

Not sure where to post this and if this is the wrong place, will an admin kindly move it

I recently have the roof replaced on my 26’ trailer. When I got it back, there are many air pockets throughout. The repair shop tells me that this is not a problem and my next summer it will all smooth out. Another shop tell me this is potentially a problem.

Any folks out there with expertise in this area that can tell me if I should be concerned.

I tend to believe the second shop but would like some documentation to support the claim it is a problem so that I may use it as leverage to get the original shop to make it right. THAT IS, if it is a problem.
BobSquires is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2020, 06:54 AM   #2

IMHO It can be normal depending on the roofing material and process used. It's normal to see some bubbling which will usually go away over time.
homerbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSquires View Post
Not sure where to post this and if this is the wrong place, will an admin kindly move it

I recently have the roof replaced on my 26’ trailer. When I got it back, there are many air pockets throughout. The repair shop tells me that this is not a problem and my next summer it will all smooth out. Another shop tell me this is potentially a problem.

Any folks out there with expertise in this area that can tell me if I should be concerned.

I tend to believe the second shop but would like some documentation to support the claim it is a problem so that I may use it as leverage to get the original shop to make it right. THAT IS, if it is a problem.
Well,
You don't say but, I'm kind-a assuming that what you had replaced was a rubber roof, correct? If so, NO, there should NOT BE ANY AIR BUBBLES, PERIOD! When the roof is prepped correctly, and the media is applied CORRECTLY, there should be absolutely ZERO air bubbles. The substrate needs to be prepped appropriately by the use of sanding etc. to make sure there's no rough spots in the entire roof. Then, it gets blown off with air to make darn sure there's no sanding dust left on there, that would inhibit a quality application of glue and, the ensuing application of the roof material.

A company that knows what they're doing knows all the tricks and ins and outs. They don't want any jobs coming back due to inappropriate or shoddy work. Not if they want to stay in business anyways.

Well, first off, if their statement about it being somewhat normal was true, then every single rubber roofed coach/trailer/camper etc. that was sent off the assembly line, would have bubbles. As for your recourse, well, it's not for me say go and stomp on their desk 'till they cave in and do a proper job. There are routes of fighting back in many states. California for instance, has what's called the "BAR". Bureau of Automotive Repairs. They take complaints from dissatisfied customers of all kinds of automotive repair establishments and, create a file and then, investigate.

Sometimes it takes a bit but, if the customer is right, the offending company is made to fix, their bad fix. I don't know if you have anything like that in your state but, it may be worth looking into. Just a suggestion.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:27 AM   #4

Must not be too concerned with answers.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Must not be too concerned with answers.

Scott

No need to get offended. Yes I read your response stating there should not be any bubbles as well as the previous one that said it could be normal. So I’m back where I started.

I’ve got my RV shop that says bubbles are bad. The other shop says they had it inspected and it will go away with time.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:40 PM   #6

I’ve only told part of the story. The shop has refused to make it right and my only recourse is small claims court. I am in search of facts that I can take to court.

Actually it’s more than air pockets. The surface is also bumpy as if there are splinters from the decking or some other debris that was on the decking when the roof was placed on. It’s pretty common sense that these protrusions will be a problem some time down the road. Following are pictures of the roof and as you can see from the sloppy work, I don’t see any point in having them “fix” it. I feel it just needs to be redone.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3318.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	272358Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3319.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	272357Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3320.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	272356Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3321.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	272355Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3322.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	272354Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3323.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	272352
Old 01-16-2020, 04:00 AM   #7

Take it to a couple of shops, have them write detailed inspection reports. It's hard to tell from the picture but the caulk looks like silicone which isn't a good choice. It's pretty easy to see the application method was glop it on with a stick. Details are critical, the reason why it's a problem is critical, those should be in the report. If they could give an estimate of the life of that installation vs. a proper installation it would be great. They'll probably charge, keep your receipts for small claims court. Get estimates to remove and repair correctly.

While you're waiting wander through the lot and take pictures of the areas of other units like the corner you posted that are correctly done so you have a comparison to show how bad the job is.

Video sometimes makes it easier to see irregularities in surfaces, move slowly and steadily as you shoot. Lighting at different angles/times of days has an affect, the angle to the surface has an affect. Try several, what doesn't work is easy to delete.

Get all your proof lined up, call the shop that did the job and make an appointment with the manager, owner if you can. Show him what you have and tell him it's a substandard job and you want a refund for your expenses to date. Listen carefully to each response, make notes of what each of you said in the parking lot. It doesn't and shouldn't be a long confrontational conversation, you want to know why he considers the corner calk is satisfactory, why the obvious lack of adhesion to the roof deck won't cause premature failure.

Good luck!!
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:58 AM   #8

I have never seen anything close to what your pictures reveal. Did they use three year olds playing with glue to put it on? Sorry for your troubles, it is obvious they didn't replace the membrane, only covered over the old one.
homerbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:37 PM   #9

That is not acceptable by any stretch of the imagination. You probably don't want to know what is under that glob of dark caulking on the rear. I suspect a big problem.

I would get some statements from qualified techs and get In court ASAP.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

It's pretty clear to me to me the workmanship is shoddy. I agree entirely with Fire Up - a quality job would have no air bubbles and the substrate should be clean and smooth. The more difficult question is how sloppy the workmanship can be before the work becomes unacceptable. RV factories turn out shoddy workmanship every day, including rubber roofs with air bubbles. And the roof membrane manufacturers won't call them on it because RV makers are a major customer. As long as the membrane is not punctured, a loose, poorly glued membrane is still water proof and thus still meets the basic requirement of a roof. I think you might have a difficult time n court unless you can get some recognized RV roof installer/supplier to state that this job is clearly inferior to what an average installer might have done.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:37 PM   #11

Shoddy roof replacement

I have emailed Dicor (a major manufacturer of RV roofing material) but no response and I’m not hopeful that I will get one.

It’s debatable if the roof needs to be totally replaced, but I do know that I paid for a professional job and I did not receive that. I have offered the shop the option to redo the roof or reimburse me $1,500. By the way, I had paid them about $5k for the roof replacement. The best response was a counter offer of $1000 but only if I would sign documents that would allow them to pay me as a 1099 contractor. I told them that that smelled like fraud and I wanted nothing to do with that scheme

The shop that did the repair sent an ‘adjuster’ from another shop to come inspect my unit. He reported that the air pockets would go away when the weather warmed. I pointed out to him that the roof was installed in September in Austin, Texas. Data history shows that the temperature for the week prior to and the week after roof installation, the daily temperatures were in the high 90s with a few days in the 100s. There were air pockets when the roof was installed in hot weather so it did not seem logical that the air pockets would magically disappear when it got hot again. When asked about the bumps and protrusions, he said it was common that when the membrane is rolled out debris will fall on the roof under the membrane and it is not a problem. His report was verbal but I have asked for that report in writing and so far he has not been interested in doing that. His unwillingness to sign his name to such a report is understandable.

Today I have sent the shop that did the repair another demand to redo the roof or reimburse me $1,500 with a deadline of Jan 27. At that point my only option is small claims court and I am still seeking expert documentation. My only thought is to pay to have a few independent certified RV technicians inspect and provide me with written reports that I can take to court.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:45 PM   #12

Just my two cents...

If you get to the final option of small claims court.... I would go for the maximum small claims allowable amount. It can be different but I seem to think $2000-3000. You offered $1500 and he declined on a $5000 job... Now your talking about time and hiring a professional or two to write up a report? He had a chance to settle for less and decided against it so now he can reimburse you the max!

The worst the judge could say is no and you get less than max, but you spent $5000 and I would tell him it will take at least that amount for another company to remove and replace his defective work.

Good Luck!
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ RV'r View Post
Just my two cents...

If you get to the final option of small claims court.... I would go for the maximum small claims allowable amount. It can be different but I seem to think $2000-3000. You offered $1500 and he declined on a $5000 job... Now your talking about time and hiring a professional or two to write up a report? He had a chance to settle for less and decided against it so now he can reimburse you the max!

Good Luck!

I’m not a lawyer but I’ve been doing some research and the limit in Texas is $10, so yes I plan on suing for the full 5k. Additionally, I can add legal and court cost should I prevail. It is my understanding, however, that any fees I pay for inspections or expert testimony are not recoverable.

In Texas, to get money from them can be an ordeal. Even if I prevail and get a judgment of money, the court cannot make them pay. I will then have to go through another process and fees to have the sheriff seize property to sell at auction.

It’s going to be a long stressful process.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSquires View Post
I’m not a lawyer but I’ve been doing some research and the limit in Texas is $10,000 so yes I plan on suing for the full 5k. Additionally, I can add legal and court cost should I prevail. It is my understanding, however, that any fees I pay for inspections or expert testimony are not recoverable.

In Texas, to get money from them can be an ordeal. Even if I prevail and get a judgment of money, the court cannot make them pay. I will then have to go through another process and fees to have the sheriff seize property to sell at auction.

It’s going to be a long stressful process.
Can't figure out how to edit a post. But the max limit in Texas is $10,000 and not $10

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, roof