Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Shore Power: Breaker Off before Connecting or Disconnecting

Connecting or Disconnecting the RV to the shore power without ensuring the park breaker is OFF can fry everything in your RV.

Most RV'ers are aware of this issue.

Before Connecting your RV to shore power, make sure the shore power/pedestal/park power breaker is off. Failure to do so can fry anything in your RV.

Before Disconnecting the shore power, turn the pedestal/park power breaker off. Failure to do so can fry anything in your RV.

The reason for this is due to the connection points on the plug not all connecting or disconnecting at the same simultaneous exact time.

One more:

Turn off all high power consumption devices like the air-conditioners before changing from shore power to generator or generator to shore power.

One more

I've heard horror stories from RV'ers connecting to RV parks without first checking the power source. When in doubt test it, don't assume.

Maybe someone here knows of a quick, safe and easy way to test the shore power before connecting your valuable RV to some unsuspecting power outlet that will eat your lunch.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Maybe someone here knows of a quick, safe and easy way to test the shore power before connecting
I often check shore power pedestals with my multi-meter (check voltage on each power leg, ground, neutral, etc), but that is more for personal amusement/self-gratification than anything else. The real test is done by my SurgeGuard system when I connect the power cord. The SurgeGuard is hard-wired into the system in the electric bay, and performs a multitude of tests on the incoming power before it will connect the power to my coach. If the power fails a critical test, the SurgeGuard will not complete the connection to my coach.

Equally as important, if a serious problem develops while the coach is connected to shore power, the SurgeGuard will disconnect the power before damage can be done.

And as mentioned, I always make sure the shore power breaker is OFF before connecting/disconnecting the power cord. That is especially critical when using a 50a connection.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Maybe someone here knows of a quick, safe and easy way to test the shore power before connecting your valuable RV to some unsuspecting power outlet that will eat your lunch.
I have a PI EMS, and I just plug in and watch the display, but the EMS will not pass power to the rig if there is a problem.

No worries.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #4

Excellent advice Batman! I go a step further and make sure the main breaker in the RV is also off. Yea, a bit redundant, but worth the peace of mind. Also, if starting the generator it insures no voltage build up on any appliances.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #5

A surge protector takes care of all these issues except turning off the AC prior to connecting to power.
Surge protector check possible line faults. When all circuits checks out it waits 2 minutey before applying power to the motor home
Old 11-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #6

Forgive my ignorance, what is a PI EMS?
nhljnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Progressive Industries Electrical Management System.

EMS-HW50C

Old 11-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #8

Thanks, sounds like something I should get. I'm learning as I go.
nhljnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The PI EMS works as advertised.

Don't leave home without it!

Old 11-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #10

Yes Have the CG Breaker OFF then plug in and then turn breaker ON!!

When leaving Breaker OFF then unplug!!

AND For Sure turn OFF any high Draw items like A/C before shutting down the Generator

Ask me HOW I KNOW!!

I fried a "Time Delay Board" When doing Just That!!

However Scotch Might of been a Factor!!

Rick

PS

Have the 'Surge Guard' inline for the rest of the 'Checks'
Old 11-10-2009, 05:55 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
Connecting or Disconnecting the RV to the shore power without ensuring the park breaker is OFF can fry everything in your RV.

Most RV'ers are aware of this issue.

Before Connecting your RV to shore power, make sure the shore power/pedestal/park power breaker is off. Failure to do so can fry anything in your RV.

Before Disconnecting the shore power, turn the pedestal/park power breaker off. Failure to do so can fry anything in your RV.

The reason for this is due to the connection points on the plug not all connecting or disconnecting at the same simultaneous exact time.

One more:

Turn off all high power consumption devices like the air-conditioners before changing from shore power to generator or generator to shore power.

One more

I've heard horror stories from RV'ers connecting to RV parks without first checking the power source. When in doubt test it, don't assume.

Good to know Batman777, I installed an inline surge protector prior to my first trip in the MH at the advice of the RV park manager who took our reservations in Montana. We drove from CA to Utah the first day and when I got hooked up a thunder & lightning storm hit and the power went out in the park.
After the storm I went out to check things over when I saw smoke comming out of the MH next to me, so I went over to tell the owner and his TV, Microwave and sound ststem would not work due to an overload and something in the bay (hopefully not his inverter) were possibly destroyed. Surge protectors are a must they will save the day.

Great advice Batman777, I will check the power outlet switch when I plug in.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #12
csp

Monaco Owners Club
I learned the hard way. I did not have a surge protector and I did not check the power at the park. It was our maiden voyage. $1750.00 later we were back in business. $400.00 of this was the hard wired surge protector. It fried my transfer switch, microwave/convection oven, my TV and my money for two todays of camping. I should have known when the neighbor told me this was their fourth time parking because their breaker kept kicking out.
I think the park was set up with all 30amp breakers years ago and with all of the coaches with 50 amp now, they have decided to put in 50 amp breakers and not up grade the whole park electrical system. I think it is just as much low voltage doing the damage as high voltage.
Hopefully I learned my lesson. I still catch myself staring at the amp gauge after I turn on the breaker and wondering if there is going to be a problem. The 2 min delay on the surge protector always worries me because it seems like ten minutes.
Chris
csp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:36 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csp View Post
I learned the hard way. I did not have a surge protector and I did not check the power at the park. It was our maiden voyage. $1750.00 later we were back in business. $400.00 of this was the hard wired surge protector. It fried my transfer switch, microwave/convection oven, my TV and my money for two todays of camping. I should have known when the neighbor told me this was their fourth time parking because their breaker kept kicking out.
I think the park was set up with all 30amp breakers years ago and with all of the coaches with 50 amp now, they have decided to put in 50 amp breakers and not up grade the whole park electrical system. I think it is just as much low voltage doing the damage as high voltage.
Hopefully I learned my lesson. I still catch myself staring at the amp gauge after I turn on the breaker and wondering if there is going to be a problem. The 2 min delay on the surge protector always worries me because it seems like ten minutes.
Chris
CSP,
Were you in Utah when this happend? if so, I think that I was parked next to you.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #14
csp

Monaco Owners Club
Hardy1000
I would have liked to have been in Utah. Hopefully someday I will make it there. I was luckily at a park that is only about 30 miles from my home.
Chris
csp is offline   Reply With Quote