Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2015, 07:58 AM   #1

Shore power issue

I have posted this problem before. Still having trouble with my bus dropping shore power for no reason. Does not seem to be an overload as it cut off this morning with nothing on but a few lights. There are two contackters in the surge guard/transfer switch box. The one that shore power goes thru drops out. Does the power control system control this? If so where is the module for this? This has been happening for quite a while no pattern to it. Usually can disconnect the power cord for a few minutes then plug back in and it will come back on.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Is it the 12 volt system or 110 volt system. Because you said your lights went off and that is 12 volts. If this is the case you have 2 thermo breakers on the output side and they do get weak and will do this. I had to help a friend and had the same issue. Replace the 2 thermo breakers all was good. Now I was going by your statement that the lights went off.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 10-16-2015, 12:17 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS 13 View Post
I have posted this problem before. Still having trouble with my bus dropping shore power for no reason. Does not seem to be an overload as it cut off this morning with nothing on but a few lights. There are two contackters in the surge guard/transfer switch box. The one that shore power goes thru drops out. Does the power control system control this? If so where is the module for this? This has been happening for quite a while no pattern to it. Usually can disconnect the power cord for a few minutes then plug back in and it will come back on.
Please fill out your Signature info so we can help you better
Old 10-16-2015, 05:55 AM   #4
paz

You mention having a surge guard. Surge guards also protect against things like high and low voltage. It will shut down power when those conditions are experienced and it will power up again when the voltage returns to normal.

A Technology Research surge guard will have a series of lights on the unit itself to indicate what the fault is while a Progressive Industries surge guard will have a remote LED readout that shows the fault code. The remote readout might be near the surge protector or it might be located somewhere inside the coach.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The Surge Guard 40250/40260 series of transfer switches include powerline monitoring and usually have a remote LCD display as well. They would open up if voltage was too high or low, frequency off spec, etc.

But having the lights go off suggests that he has no battery power either. Loss of 120v power would knock out the converter/charger 12v output, but the house batteries should pick up the lighting load.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #6

SPIssue

Hey guys, I probably did not do a good job of describing my problem. When I said I lost power with only lights on I didn't mean the lights went off. I lost my shore power, my 50amp power. I have a 2012 Fleetwood providence with a 40250 RVC transfer switch with an inside remote digital readout that shows amp draw and whether you have 50amp or 30amp hookup. When I loose power this remote shows (no service power) instead of 50 amp power. The transfer switch has two contackters in it one for shore power and one for generator. When I loose shore power the one for shore power drops out. I can take a screw driver and manually engage it and the power comes back on as long as I hold it in. For me to get the power back on I have to disconnect from the shore power anywhere from a few minutes to twenty minutes. With the generator on I never loose power. This seems to happen even when ther is no power draw on shore power other than keeping the battteys charged. I think everything in the bus runs through the two inverters except AC,and Cooking unit, unless wife plug in hair dryer.
Does the control inside the bus power the contact in the transfer box or is it somewhere else????
Do you think maybe the contacter is just going bad???
Kind of hard to check when it goes off in the middle of the night or when I'm not around.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:22 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It could be bad relays in the 40250, but more likely it is faulty power coming in (or rather, not coming in). Does this happen at different RV sites, or just a particular one? You might have a intermittent open in your shore power cord too.

More tests and diagnosis are needed to get a better understanding of the problem. I would start with a voltmeter test of the power outlet the next time it happened. Then the same test at the inlet to the 40250. See if power is actually arriving at the ATS.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:35 PM   #8

SPI

This has happened at every place I have been in the last yr. probably at least ten places. Last place I thought the end plug was bad because it felt warm. Replaced it and thought that had fixed it but next morning off again. I have had all three ACs on and they have run for more than a day before turning one off at night then after both cut off then later the power dropped out. Does not appear to be load related at all. I guess I need to check the contact next time it happens to see if it still has power on it to energize it. It's just that sometimes this happens in the middle of the night. Not to much in the humor at three in the morn to start looking I guess. I reckon I'll have to get in the humor. Does the control inside power the contact or is it getting power from inside the transfer box???
Old 10-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #9

SPI

Oh yea last time this happened I checked the top side of the contact in the ATS and it had power coming in from the cord. I could take my screw driver and manually engage it and power came back on as long as I had it pushed in. Does the power for the contact come to the contact from the power cord?
Old 10-21-2015, 03:43 PM   #10

SPI

My brain is way to slow. If I had a wiring diagram that would help. Is there one avalible from anywhere or does Fleetwood expect you to just know these things??
Old 10-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #11

I need to follow this. I have had the same issues. I don't fully understand the path of power when running off Shore power and when running off battery. then throw in the Genny and whalla. Iam confused!!
Old 10-21-2015, 05:48 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS 13 View Post
My brain is way to slow. If I had a wiring diagram that would help. Is there one avalible from anywhere or does Fleetwood expect you to just know these things??

The typical ATS is independent of any other control systems. In general, they are just two contactors powered by the appropriate incoming power with interlocks such that both can not be energized at the same time.

You mentioned a Surge Guard with ATS, if this is the case, the shore cable contactor is probably also controlled by the Surge and voltage protection circuits. If this is what you have, I'd suggest you call TRC with the model number and get their help. However, they only have a one year warranty but may help troubleshoot the problem.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 07-23-2016, 07:49 PM   #13

Did you ever get this resolved? Our ATS is acting up. Would like to know what happened

Tags
power, shore power