Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2017, 06:46 PM   #1

Short Term Storage Questions

Hello everyone,
I have some questions for you, We are on our trip from picking up our new, and first, RV ever. We are planning on full timing eventually and all of my research was about full timing, which coach, etc, not much about storage, especially short term storage.

What do I need to do for short term storage? It will be in the summer, now, so no concern about freezing, I live in Arkansas so it is HOT

I will be storing the unit in a storage lot with no power so planning on flipping the battery disconnect switch as my last item to shut down everything off the inverter including the residential refrigerator.

I will be emptying the fridge and do I need to defrost the freezer or do anything special to it? I plan on blocking the doors open as I have read that around in other places.

I will be dumping the gray and black tanks before we drive home but there may be a little use here and there on the way home, and keeping some fresh water in the tanks. I will be coming out to the storage lot and getting things setup, organizing, etc, so will have fresh water in the tank. Is there any problem using the black tank while in storage? Planning on putting 4 or 5 gallons(toilet bowl fulls) of water into the black tank after dumping so its not completely empty.

I also plan to close all the night shades around the rig just to help prevent sun damage.

What else would you recommend that I do that I may not have thought of?

Thanks for your help.
fluffybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #2

When we store our RV (Class A 30' long) in the summer, which is really only about 4 to 6 weeks, on and off, I try and cover it with a RV cover. It can be a challenge to get it up and onto the top but when it is all said and done, it is covered completely and I add wheel covers too. If you don't want to do that, I was told to make sure you have had it washed and waxed to include treatment to the roof. As for using the inside equipment, I don't like leaving fresh water in the tank as some have experienced mold. My dealer said not to leave anything in the black or grey water tanks either. I flush both tanks like 3 or 4 times with fresh water and then leave it. If you want to use it, depending on how hot it gets in your area, chemicals will break down and not be effective. Just before we go back out I run water into all the traps so it won't smell. Check all the tank gauges and if need be, re-flush both tanks. You may want to check with one of your local dealers as to what they recommend. They will be more informed as to what should be done for your neck of the woods.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:47 PM   #3

How long will it be sitting unattended, if more than a month I would suggest considering buying a 25+ watt solar panel to maintain the batteries.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:15 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Crack open a window or two and open the roof vents. Air flow is your friend even a little bit.
As far the potable water, it's OK to keep some in the tank for the purpose of flushing the toilet but I would not drink water that has been sitting the tank for a prolong period of time. You will need to drain it and clean it prior to using it for drinking. Some will disagree but OH well.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:39 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Generally no refrigerator has needed defrosting in a very long time. Clean it, block it open, crack a window as others have said and use the disconnect switch to disconnect your batteries. I do this on my coach in Florida all winter and the batteries have never given me a problem, but parasitic loads vary from one design to another. A little water in the tank is OK. They say to run the generator once a month at half load for half an hour or so. Running your AC while you visit should be fine for that.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:14 PM   #6

thanks everyone for the advice I appreciate it. I have it stored now, ended up dumping the black tank and planning on not using it while stored just to keep things fresh. I do have some water in the freshwater tank but will go ahead and drain the water and refill with fresh water at the next camp site.

As for timeline, I will probably be using it every couple of weeks for weekend trips throughout the summer, but it was easy enough to take care of the tanks and everything else.

I have left the roof vents open but probably going to crack one of the side windows to try and get some airflow through it the next time I go out there.
fluffybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:05 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybunny View Post
thanks everyone for the advice I appreciate it. I have it stored now, ended up dumping the black tank and planning on not using it while stored just to keep things fresh. I do have some water in the freshwater tank but will go ahead and drain the water and refill with fresh water at the next camp site.

As for timeline, I will probably be using it every couple of weeks for weekend trips throughout the summer, but it was easy enough to take care of the tanks and everything else.

I have left the roof vents open but probably going to crack one of the side windows to try and get some airflow through it the next time I go out there.

Hopefully your roof vents have covers over them. You don't want one of those pesky rain storms to happen with them open and no cover.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If using the RV every couple of weeks, I would fuel for a full tank so no moisture in the tank. If you are likea lot ofus you will find a need for the Gen to run during your puttering and this will keep the batteries up as well, just let the Gen run for 20 minutes or so, better for the Gen. Crack a couple vents, doesn't need much and maybe a window. As to the fresh and waste tanks a couple weeks is no problem although I might at just a bit of extra water to the black to keep it nice and fluid. If the chassis battery does not have a switch I would monitor it fora bit and see how it does or as above put a small solar panel on it, if you do they are fairly inexpensive.

LEN
Old 05-28-2017, 08:39 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If in open storage, might consider 100-200w solar for battery maintenance.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:49 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Short Term Storage Questions

The sun is actually pretty hard on stored RVs, not just for fading/cracking decals but also the various caulked locations around roof areas, etc. and anything rubber. Those seal areas create surprises in the rainy season if they have failed due to expansion/contracting. For that reason, our RV is in a covered storage lot whenever we aren't using it. Keep an eye on those areas throughout the year. I caught some sealant cracking that I needed to address before leaving on our first trip in March that was in foul weather. I use pro flex RV on our current coach and used Dicor sealant on various roof areas around vents, etc. on our Dicor roof membrane. https://www.geocelusa.com/product/pr...xible-sealant/

Tags
storage