Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2013, 12:05 AM   #1

Should follow pros advice on tires

The first long distance voyage of the vacationer. departure point: Tulsa,Ok. Destination: Ft wilderness, walt disney world, Fl via I75 to I20 to stop in at duck commander in Monroe ,La. First day was great, made it to monroe, kept on trucking down the road to just cross the Florida line on I10. Day 2 started out great at 7a.m. Then right in front of a rest area around mile marker 280? The passenger side inner dual blows out!! No big deal, I have a spare and tools to change it. We pull into the rest area and I get out of the motorhome and see liquid running on the ground. It seems Holiday Rambler thought the wheel well is a good place to run water lines and a thick loom of 12v electrical wire. It ripped the water line out of the toilet, and ripped the wires in half, about 15 of them and pulled them out of where they belong wrapping them around the axle. I will not name the tire used as they were past 8 years old and I had no prior knowledge of what kind of abuse they endured. I consider myself at fault for not adhering to what had been said on here about tires. I fixed most of the wiring except the 12v to the refrigerator thermostat and the indicators for the gray and black tanks. We plugged the toilet water lines giving us water to the rest of the coach, used gallon jugs to flush the toilet and purchased 6 new tires from a close dealer. The only problem we had after the new purchase was the front tires were not balanced and the old weights were left on. I write this as warning to other newbies. Do not risk blow outs on any axle!! It could have easily damaged more than it did. We continued on after a$2200 bill and enjoyed our time at disney and beverly camptown beach north of Daytona,Fl.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Boy, that was quite an "adventure" before the real adventure. I am glad you were able to get back on the road in time to really enjoy your true adventure.

It really does not make a lot of differences what kind of mileage your tires have. Just think how often they sit in one place without moving. Just think how often they sit outside in direct sunlight. What surfaces are they sitting on? I am by no means a tire expert. That's why I rely on the real experts advice. When I bought my coach earlier this year, one of the big things I required of the dealer was to check the date codes of all 8 tires (tag axle).

Please heed this story!

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #3

When you get the chance have all the tires balanced. We purchased new rear tires for our old motorhome and the deealer was supposed to balance them with Equal powder. When they were new they seemed to ride fine. However after about 20,000 miles they started to vibrate badly. I finally stopped at a tire store in Florida to have the powder removed and replaced with external weights.

Much to my surprise there was no powder in the tires. They had never been balanced and already had flat spots on the 2 outer duals. I had them balanced with external weights. 2 of them took over 12 ounces each. Within another 5,000 miles all 4 rear tires had to be replaced. Tires that should have been able to go over 60,000 miles went about half the distance bacause they weren't balanced properly
Old 10-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
OP: Michelin says to go five years, then have them inspected yearly and absolutely replace at 10 years.
I tried that, the service person at a big tire dealer on the west coast just circled some of the cracks and told me they were cracked! Well, I already knew that. Drove them a couple more years till they were over 8 years old and replaced all of them. But I had put almost every mile on them except for the 2,200 initial delivery miles. But I also knew that the fronts had been run thousands of miles with low air according to Michelins charts. However, I had it in writing on Michelin letterhead that I could run the tires at 120 psi and use the weight rating for 125 psi.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #5

I will get the new tires balanced before our next trip. In fact, I have to buy 2 new front tires anyway, the tire shop only had 4 of one brand and 2 chinese brand tires. My plan is to buy two more wheels at the rv salvage and use the chinese tires for spares as we have alot of travels planned to places away from big cities. I am glad I was in the position at the time to be able to replace them all at once. And I love this forum and all the hints, tips, and tricks.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #6

Sorry you had the blow-out.

I just bought an experienced RV with aged tires. Getting new ones tomorrow, before anything happens.

Then we can hit the roads with confidence and bravado!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #7

Update, got the 12v fixed to the fridge and it works like new. Got the plumbing all back original. Planning on getting these tires balanced before a short trip in state to broken bow,Ok. Have started a fund for a tire monitoring system.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Glad it wasn't any worse and everyone was OK. I does sound like a good lesson learned. Thanks for sharing the story. I'm sure it'll help someone make a better decision at some point in the future.

Sometimes it's easy to forget that having good tires isn't just a safety issue. Motorhomes are complex machines with systems infrastructure in every space imaginable. When a tire lets loose it can and will tear up a bunch of important stuff.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #9

An earlier post alluded to sidewall cracking and that RV tires sit loaded for long periods of time in one position. I know its not practical for the big 'A's, but I took the trouble to put my axles on jack stands (4 of course) and unloaded the tires for our long 5-6 months of winter - no stress, and no flat spots. I think this must add years to tires, but I'm a relative newbie and time will tell....just seems common sense if doable.
Siesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had the exact same thing happen about two years ago. The wiring harness was wrapped around the axle and had ripped all of the wires off the back of the control panel in the center of the coach.

$2,000 towing and $10,000 for repairs. CSAA (AAA) covered it all with $100 deduction.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I know its not practical for the big 'A's, but I took the trouble to put my axles on jack stands (4 of course) and unloaded the tires for our long 5-6 months of winter - no stress, and no flat spots. I think this must add years to tires, but I'm a relative newbie and time will tell....just seems common sense if doable.
Both Michelin and Goodyear make similar recommendations in their RV Tire guides. Basically they recommend removing at least some weight if possible, and increasing the tire pressure to max to help support the sidewalls and minimize ground contact. Just putting the jacks down (if you have them) helps a lot.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationer49 View Post
The first long distance voyage of the vacationer. departure point: Tulsa,Ok. Destination: Ft wilderness, walt disney world, Fl via I75 to I20 to stop in at duck commander in Monroe ,La. First day was great, made it to monroe, kept on trucking down the road to just cross the Florida line on I10. Day 2 started out great at 7a.m. Then right in front of a rest area around mile marker 280? The passenger side inner dual blows out!! No big deal, I have a spare and tools to change it. We pull into the rest area and I get out of the motorhome and see liquid running on the ground. It seems Holiday Rambler thought the wheel well is a good place to run water lines and a thick loom of 12v electrical wire. It ripped the water line out of the toilet, and ripped the wires in half, about 15 of them and pulled them out of where they belong wrapping them around the axle. I will not name the tire used as they were past 8 years old and I had no prior knowledge of what kind of abuse they endured. I consider myself at fault for not adhering to what had been said on here about tires. I fixed most of the wiring except the 12v to the refrigerator thermostat and the indicators for the gray and black tanks. We plugged the toilet water lines giving us water to the rest of the coach, used gallon jugs to flush the toilet and purchased 6 new tires from a close dealer. The only problem we had after the new purchase was the front tires were not balanced and the old weights were left on. I write this as warning to other newbies. Do not risk blow outs on any axle!! It could have easily damaged more than it did. We continued on after a$2200 bill and enjoyed our time at disney and beverly camptown beach north of Daytona,Fl.
About 8 years ago we were traveling with two other RV's heading to Alaska and larger motorhom lost (blew ot?) a rear tire. The rubber removed the shower drain, water lines, and 12 volt wiring to the rear of the coach. They ended up buying six new tires but we were able to the other repairs. Takes a lot of fun out of the trip, doesn't it?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationer49 View Post
Sounds serious and glad no one was hurt. In your opinion do you think a TPMS system would have prevented or at least alerted you that the tire was low?
Old 06-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #14

I believe the tire was a little low the morning we started but not sure, I just performed the thump test before departing. I believe the tire got hot on I-10 traveling in the slow lane in the semi trucks grooves, most of the weight felt like we were riding on the inner duals due to tracking narrower than a semi.