Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #1

Should I consider a narrow slot to park the motorhome?

The reason I bought our current RV is, it is exactly the length of our driveway, 27 feet.

I want to get a longer diesel pusher, however the only place I could park it is a narrow sliver along side my house. The space is 10.5' by 40', between my backyard side fence and my central air conditioner. Counting mirrors the clearance would be, pretty tight.

Unfortunately, there are some major complications beyond that. The space is on the opposite side of the house as the current driveway. I would need to relandscape the front lawn, by adding some type of driveway or path, and then add a large full-width gate.

Should I even consider this? Do any of you park your rig in a narrow slot? How do you do it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	house.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	29871  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I park my 34' in a 15' x 40' space, but it has a 12' wide opening I have to back it through.
(Of course, that's to squeeze it into a fully enclosed storage building where it has it's own
50 amp service and hides from the sun in the summer and the snow in the winter.). Once
into the space, I can extend both slides with room to spare so we can work on it too.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our HOA won't allow us to park the moho at home, so the only time it's here is for loading/unloading/cleaning.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would add up the cost of the change and compare that to paying for parking off-site. In our area, off site on concrete pad is $50-65 per month. Covered is $100-140 depending on length.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #5

If the area where the MH door and steps would be is only 10.5 ft wide, I doubt that you could even open the door and extend the steps. If you can park it so the nose sticks out into the yard where it is wider, it would probably work.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #6

Mr. M.
Parking it in that space is not a big problem. It will just require extra care, slow motion. Maybe have a extra set of eyes and 2-way radio for your spotter who is assisting you.

I see the bigger problem being the sidewalk area. It may not take the weight of the diesel m.h. and crack. I also see the potential of the neighbor complaining to the local zoning board and they side with him. Check those regulations before you go through the expense of fencing and yard work.

Make sure the door will still open when you are in position, so you don't have to crawl in the window. Hooking up power on the left side will require some foresight because it is so close to the fence.

Look at the cost of storage elsewhere. Inside storage in Tucson is about $600 a month. Outside covered storage is $300.

If you do go your route, buy some concrete parking bumpers, stake them end to end along the edge to guide your wheels exactly where you want them. Put a block behind the wheels for stopping you. Place 2 bright orange stakes or cones at the end to line up with, hook up the electrical cord before you back in the gate, hold it up so you don't drive over it. Suddenly the job of backing in is not so difficult. Besides, you only do it every few weeks or months. Not like your car, going in and out each day.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Getting your rig in there if you truly have enough space is just a matter of guts and patience. How much do you have of each? I think I would drive it straight in rather than backing, then back straight out.

If it is in there can you open the doors and the basement access; if not what is the advantage?

It looks like you have a nice place there and the landscaping appears very nice from what I can see. It occurs to me it would take a landscape genious to work out the dual drive way to recapture a nice look. That is the reason plus the potential cost that I personnaly would be skeptical, even though the thought of having the MH right there is compelling no doubt.

I must store my MH about 19 miles from my home. It turns out it is not quite the inconvenience I thought it would be. Perhaps you should investigate those options before you decide.

I think I personally would not do this for the above reasons.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookum View Post
Mr. M.
If you do go your route, buy some concrete parking bumpers, stake them end to end along the edge to guide your wheels exactly where you want them. Put a block behind the wheels for stopping you. Place 2 bright orange stakes or cones at the end to line up with, hook up the electrical cord before you back in the gate, hold it up so you don't drive over it. Suddenly the job of backing in is not so difficult. Besides, you only do it every few weeks or months. Not like your car, going in and out each day.
Wow! These are some great suggestions!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #9

Putting an 8.5 wide MH in a 10.5 wide space can be done but it is a very tight fit. As mentioned above depending on the layout, you may or may not have room to open the door. If it will work for you then I'd definitely go for it. When we had our sticks and bricks I parked our MH beside the house (12 wide spot). Far as I'm concerned this beats an off-site storage space by a bunch. I paid to have the site prepared and it was worth the money.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post

Should I even consider this?
No, your yard is to nice, green grass, soft dirt, sprinkler system, the asthetic value of your property would be damaged and your neighbors' house is too close. Rich green grass is a sign of good dirt for grass but not for supporting weight. They have to dig it out a couple feet deep and put in road base to make it solid, and then put at least 6" of concrete on top to support your MH and waranty it. I would'nt do it, and I park my MH beside my house but not as tight.
Your DP will be 8'6" wide + the mirrors on each side making it close to 10' 6" wide.
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #11

Assuming you can design a pad that accommodates your rig, better check your local zoning requirements before doing anything. And, what does your neighbor think about your plan?

If you can make your plan work, you will really enjoy the convenience of having your rig at your home. We are able to do this, and it's great to be able do just walk outside for maintenance, cleaning, packing, unpacking, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
The reason I bought our current RV is, it is exactly the length of our driveway, 27 feet.

I want to get a longer diesel pusher, however the only place I could park it is a narrow sliver along side my house. The space is 10.5' by 40', between my backyard side fence and my central air conditioner. Counting mirrors the clearance would be, pretty tight.

Unfortunately, there are some major complications beyond that. The space is on the opposite side of the house as the current driveway. I would need to relandscape the front lawn, by adding some type of driveway or path, and then add a large full-width gate.

Should I even consider this? Do any of you park your rig in a narrow slot? How do you do it?
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Don't discount the neighbor perspective...whether there are zoning or homeowners assoc issues or not. Yes it is your property.

We had a neighbor down the block who built a drive for his 35 footer which extended from the side out into in front of the front end of the house. IMHO and many others, it blighted the neighborhood. It simply didn't fit. It brought him immeasurable ill will...because after all, he was a hard head and "...it's my property and I'll do as I please..."

From the other owners' perspective on either side and in the vicinity, it blighted their property and decreased their property value. And if you even step o their property to get out, hook up...plan to be in court.

One last thought, if you choose to do this ill advised thing, make sure before you start that you'll clear the eves of you house

Just a bad idea, IMO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #13

I have a "slot" at my house it is 12' wide x 40' long and abuts the property line. I put in a 50A circuit to plug the MH into and keep it all charged up. Next year we'll put up a shade structure, if the neighbors agree and we'll be golden.

I like having my toys at home...
Old 12-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
The good neighbor policy is a good point. I have room at my house for my RV, but choose to park elsewhere for that very reason. The neighbor has one of those crappy white tarp outdoor "garages" covering his boat. It is 2 inches from the property line and he attached it to my fence without asking. I view it right from my patio every day rather than the beautiful oak tree in his backyard. I wish that the city allowed the fence to be taller than 6 feet.

I've chosen to bite my tongue to keep the peace and plant hedges that will grow 10 feet so that I don't have to see it. I have another 3 years until they will have grown tall enough. The adjacent neighbor built an arbor so that he doesn't have to see it.

I've kept friendly with the neighbor, but there isn't a day that goes by that I wish it wasn't there.

On other items, I have quietly upgraded the curb appeal of our home as compared to the prior owner. All are inexpensive improvements. I also walk the neighborhood to clean any garbage that sometimes blows out after trash day. I've cleaned the roof and gutters for a neighbor that is of too ill health and means to do it. I've quietly mowed the front lawn of a house that was vacant until it was re-occupied and the neighbor who owned it and has cancer expressed genuine "thanks". I've not said anything to anyone about how their homes look and have kept very friendly.

I've kept photos of google earth over the years and it is fascinating to watch how my quiet efforts have resulted in neighbors upgrading their properties. Landscape better kept. Utility vehicles no longer parked. RVs and boats no longer left on the street as storage after the city 72 hour code limit. The city just repaved the streets after 40 years. Families are slowly moving in that treat their property better than the last.

Never underestimate the impact of your actions - for good or bad - by what you do with your property and RV.

wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome