Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-18-2015, 06:00 PM   #1
Should I replace my shocks

I have a 09 Winnebago Class C 32 ft I bought used with 18,000 miles with the E450 chassis. Shocks are the originals.

Ride is a little rough and the steering wheel feels all the little bumps and defects in the road. I have adjusted my tire pressure to the correct psi for the weight. The steering is straight with no play in the wheel. When an 18 wheeler or large SUV passes me going in the same direction I do get the sway.

Also noticed when parked and level, the littlest movement of walking around causes the motorhome to rock side to side. Is this normal for a class C?

Should I replace the shocks?

Thanks for the help

Greg950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 06:50 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Yup pretty normal, the Class C relies on the chassis suspension for stability (or lack there of). I had a Class C that did the same thing. If we were going to be parked for a period of time I would uses small jack stands on each corner of the RV to help stabilize it, which helped a lot.

You may consider in investing in some anti sway type system. We had a friend that installed one and she said it really helped. Another option is to add air suspension bags in the back.

Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #3
Wink Might be time

At 18,000 miles you are a little early to need new shocks.... if the original owner didn't overload/abuse it. I just replaced my original Ford shocks on our 24' E-350 Class C with a new set of Billsteins after 33,000 miles of heavy (coast to coast), use. The difference is night and day and in a good way.

We usually run close to your 11,500# GVWR and tow a small trailer with my motorcycle on it, together they weigh 960#. Day to day you tend not to notice as your shocks begin to wear as the difference is subtle but...

When you put those new ones on prepare to be amazed. The ride and handling have always been good but the improvement was dramatic. Got my Bilsteins on line at Shock Warehouse, set of four $396 with no tax or freight. Had a local truck service center install them for $267. I've heard good things about Koni's as well.

2012 Nexus Phantom 23P Class C
Ford E-350 Chassis 6.8L V-10 w/5 speed trans w/tow haul mode, 55 gal fuel tank
USCG Licensed Master 100 Ton (Retired)
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
Love my Bilsteins, make the difference between being tired at the end of the day and arriving refreshed. Best money I've spent on my class c.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote

ace, replace, shocks