Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2019, 08:55 PM   #15

Thank you so much oversoul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
Like I said. I have a place available should you need it. Safe Journey.
Thank you so very much. Seriously, it means alot to us.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #16

Ask your insurance company if your coverage will remain in force if you take no effort to get it into safety considering the amount of warning available.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:04 PM   #17

I have lived the Orlando area for over 60 yrs. I haven't run from a hurricane yet. It looks like this one will hit south of Vero and maybe then head north. They lose a lot of energy on land. The worst was 2004 when we had 3 storms in a few months. Your RV will weather the storm OK a light weight travel trailer would be another story. I was worried about mine 2 yrs ago, but I also have three houses to watch out for. Just make sure your insurance is up to date !!

The worst problem is traffic getting out of the path of storm, you might go the wrong way and the storm is headed NORTH !! My neighbors left 2 yrs ago for Irma. They were stuck in traffic for hours had to stop a lot to find gas a lot of stations were closed !! Then for 2-3 days was no gas to get home and the roads were packed !! If you leave rember this is a Holiday weekend traffic without the storm would be bad. So plan on not heading home until the next weekend.

Word to the wise.....Make sure your roof vents and windows are closed !! A friend was out of state when Irma hit his RV was in the Orlando area. He didn't get back home for a few months. His RV was full of mold when he opened it !!! He got lucky that his Insurance totaled it. He had been thinking of selling it.
No Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Ask your insurance company if your coverage will remain in force if you take no effort to get it into safety considering the amount of warning available.
My Insurance company called today to ask if it was in a safe location. I don't think they can make you leave the area. Could be worst to be caught in the storm on the highway or you get into accident trying to escape the storm.
No Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:13 PM   #19

It could be better or worse. All the more reason to verify the fine print in your insurance contract.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBeaver View Post
Take the RV and head for Alabama.
That is what I would do.
i second the notion. you won't know how bad the storm will be until it hits. anything can happen. get thee the heck outta dodge, er, florida.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Sweat View Post
I have lived the Orlando area for over 60 yrs. I haven't run from a hurricane yet. It looks like this one will hit south of Vero and maybe then head north. They lose a lot of energy on land. The worst was 2004 when we had 3 storms in a few months. Your RV will weather the storm OK a light weight travel trailer would be another story. I was worried about mine 2 yrs ago, but I also have three houses to watch out for. Just make sure your insurance is up to date !!

The worst problem is traffic getting out of the path of storm, you might go the wrong way and the storm is headed NORTH !! My neighbors left 2 yrs ago for Irma. They were stuck in traffic for hours had to stop a lot to find gas a lot of stations were closed !! Then for 2-3 days was no gas to get home and the roads were packed !! If you leave rember this is a Holiday weekend traffic without the storm would be bad. So plan on not heading home until the next weekend.

Word to the wise.....Make sure your roof vents and windows are closed !! A friend was out of state when Irma hit his RV was in the Orlando area. He didn't get back home for a few months. His RV was full of mold when he opened it !!! He got lucky that his Insurance totaled it. He had been thinking of selling it.
Yep, waiting until the last moments will get one in trouble like that. She said they are leaving at noon tomorrow. That should beat the crowd out of mid-Florida.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:43 PM   #22

Don't worry about finding an RV site, they are out there, you just may need to do a little searching and you may have to settle for something that is not an RV resort. I managed to get a site with no reservations at the KOA in Texarkana 2 years ago while 300 miles away Hurricane Harvey was coming ashore for the 3rd time east of Houston. (I was heading home to Louisiana from Wyoming)
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:48 PM   #23

Quote:
What are you a defense lawyer...lol

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:56 PM   #24

Don’t be silly. Drive to safety. Do it soon
Ranger John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:02 PM   #25

Quote:
The answer is "YES"! That's why you have insurance. Unless the insurance company wants to hire a driver and pay for storage at the destination there is no way they can set your priorities on what YOU need to do/protect for this storm. The RV may be at the bottom of the list.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:03 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
The whole point of the RV is that it moves! Why would you hesitate to move it if you think the possibility of danger warrants it?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:31 AM   #27

Raining Star, if you don't live in a potential hurricane path, it is hard to understand, but you may be busy boarding up your sticks and bricks house, and trying to protect your other possession. Not to mention you may have job obligation that keep you from packing up and leaving town.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:48 AM   #28

We live outside of Orlando and the trailer we used to have sat outside in a storage lot through Irma. No problems, not even a leak. It was parked in a space that had a large motorhome on one side and a large trailer on the other. I think this helps. Driving around the storage lot, which is huge, the biggest problem I saw after the storm was from flying debris. Most of that debris was covers and tarps that had gotten ripped off of other RVs. This year, we have a Class A in the same spot so we will see how it goes.

The problem with leaving is that you really need to do it early or risk getting caught on the road in the storm. Also, you may have trouble getting back right away so if there is damage to your stick and bricks it can snowball. IE: leaks become major water damage.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote