RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2019, 08:12 PM   #1

Should I stay or should I go?

Hi everyone. We live in Orlando and we've weathered many hurricanes, including the infamous 4 in 2004. We board up, the whole nine yards, and have done just fine, given a blown down fence or two and a small leak in the roof. BUT NOW WE HAVE AN RV to worry about. Our 34 foot Class A Forest River Georgetown, which we store outside in a immaculate, professional RV lot in St. Cloud, FL . The owners are professional and go to great lengths to watch over vehicles, etc. The roads are paved. There is no debris, and there are no trees in sight.(in the boondocks.) If it weren't for the RV, we'd probably just stay here and hunker down. But my husband thinks we ought to take the RV out of town away from the storm. Problem: there is not an RV park with any sites available, and truly, the storm is so unpredictable, no one knows where it's going at this point exactly. I'm afraid we'd get caught in the middle of it somehow. It is supposed to hit Orlando at a category 1( 74 to 95 mpg.)
Does anybody have any experience in this? Has anyone left their RV out in a hurricane.
Thanks so much in advance....
God BLess

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2019, 08:19 PM   #2

Take the RV and head for Alabama.
That is what I would do.

OldBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:22 PM   #3

Thanks Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBeaver View Post
Take the RV and head for Alabama.
That is what I would do.
Not a bad idea there... Ill talk to my husband..
Old 08-29-2019, 08:27 PM   #4

I wouldn't wait. The interstates may become parking lots as it gets closer. Fuel up at first convenient place if not already full
rte154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:34 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I would be packed, stocked and have the RV on the road no later than tomorrow morning.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:34 PM   #6

Hurricane Evacuation Safe Haven

There is another member offering shelter in AL.
You might make new friends.
OldBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:38 PM   #7

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rte154 View Post
I wouldn't wait. The interstates may become parking lots as it gets closer. Fuel up at first convenient place if not already full
Got it. We'll be good to go by noon, but after reading everyone;s posts, it's smart to hit the road.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:39 PM   #8

Quote:

Thank you so very much for this info!
Old 08-29-2019, 08:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyandMark View Post
Hi everyone. We live in Orlando and we've weathered many hurricanes, including the infamous 4 in 2004. We board up, the whole nine yards, and have done just fine, given a blown down fence or two and a small leak in the roof. BUT NOW WE HAVE AN RV to worry about. Our 34 foot Class A Forest River Georgetown, which we store outside in a immaculate, professional RV lot in St. Cloud, FL . The owners are professional and go to great lengths to watch over vehicles, etc. The roads are paved. There is no debris, and there are no trees in sight.(in the boondocks.) If it weren't for the RV, we'd probably just stay here and hunker down. But my husband thinks we ought to take the RV out of town away from the storm. Problem: there is not an RV park with any sites available, and truly, the storm is so unpredictable, no one knows where it's going at this point exactly. I'm afraid we'd get caught in the middle of it somehow. It is supposed to hit Orlando at a category 1( 74 to 95 mpg.)
Does anybody have any experience in this? Has anyone left their RV out in a hurricane.
Thanks so much in advance....
God BLess

I left my class a out in Ivan. $3k in damages. The following year I left it behind a bank sheltered from the wind when Dennis blew through. The bank blew apart slamming debris into my RV. $30k in damages.

If you need a free place to stay, look at my other thread:

Stay well.
Oversoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:45 PM   #10

Oh my gosh, I'm sorry to hear about the damages to your RV. Thank you so much for this info, we will be on the road by tomorrow noon!
Old 08-29-2019, 08:46 PM   #11

If you don't get that thing out you'll probably lose it. Look for rv parks in south Georgia and south Alabama. We're going to Perry KOA but expect to bug out from there west or north.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:47 PM   #12

Quote:

Yes. Thanks for helping to spread the word. I also have a neighbor who just informed me that he can take a few RV's too. He also has water, power & a dump station.

We're at exit 85 I-10 & then north near the Alabama state line.

Stay well.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyandMark View Post
Oh my gosh, I'm sorry to hear about the damages to your RV. Thank you so much for this info, we will be on the road by tomorrow noon!

Like I said. I have a place available should you need it. Safe Journey.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
If you don't get that thing out you'll probably lose it. Look for rv parks in south Georgia and south Alabama. We're going to Perry KOA but expect to bug out from there west or north.

If you're bugging out west along I-10, feel free to overnight here or top off your fresh water or dump your tanks.

Safe journeys.