Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Question Should we walk away from this FREE RV? (Aluminum corrosion)

Without making this post dreadfully long, I'm just going to post the facts and ask for your experienced opinions.
Earlier this year, we purchased an '88 HR Presidential and fixed and/or updated many items...all that's left to do is new steps (motor not working) and a fresh paint job, it isn't needed, we only want it done because it's really sun-faded.

Here is our delima:
Last week, my DH parents called and are giving us their '94 HR Endeavor (34ft) one owner motor home.
  • [li]It has 39k miles (we actually put about half of these on it!)
    All tires are 1yr old
    New carb on generator
    Brand new mechanical steps
    Ford v8 engine
    Interior is in good condition, although we would change the flooring immediately.
    It has been stored inside over the winter each year and on a concrete driveway a few summer months of each year.[/li]

Exterior is what concerns us. - It has several areas of pitting and corrosion. Possibly from Electrolysis?? They don't know. How do we know or find out? I have searched the forum and not much is really discussed on this subject. Are the panels replaceable? Will it just continue to erode?

There is no sign or smell of water intrusion on the interior. The headliner has fallen, but we believe it is from the foam deteriorating and not from water. Maybe we are mistaken, but DH can't be around mold or mildew without having problems breathing, and have never had a problem in this RV.
So, now we have 2 motor homes. I never thought I'd even own one, let alone 2! I am very thankful to be in this situation and am very grateful for such a large gift! I am also skeptical of the corrosion and would have walked away from this when looking to buy one...however, this one is free. DH thinks he can fix it. I know his intentions are good, but my feeling is this could be a bigger issue than it looks.

HELP!! Which one would you keep if you were in our shoes?

Here she is...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2097.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	51629   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2090.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	51630  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2183.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	51631   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2084.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	51632  

Pat & Rhonda
2003 Monaco Dynasty Dutchess '42 w/tag axle
Traveling with our 2 Boxers - Always a ride to remember!
88Ramblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
I think I would take it to an expert to see if it can be fixed properly and how much it would cost and then decide which one.

Good Sam Life Members
Served in U.S.A.F.
macantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
I think I would take it to an expert to see if it can be fixed properly and how much it would cost and then decide which one.
x2 find out the root cause of said damage then decide. Good luck on whatever you decide.
07 jayco 314 bhds
Friendswood, tx
lx22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I am surprised it corroded with indoor storage, also the exterior doesn't look that good. Aluminum will corrode from salt exposure, possibly driven on wet roads in early spring, when winter salting was still present?

Like the previous posting mentioned, you will need an opinion from someone familiar with metal repair.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
As you already know paint jobs can cost more than a lot of older/most MH are worth! I would go with the parents one owner for sure, especially if you like the floor plan?

2003 Pace Arrow 37A
Winter Home- Arcadia, Florida
USN Vietnam Veteran 1967-1971
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
For some more info on the hr pitting do a search on this forum for hr electrolysis seems it was a common problem with hr of that era.
Elf111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Dump both find something less problematic. Unless you are a handy or b money and time......
1999 National Dolphin
1995 Range Rover County SWB.
Sailor, Dickens, Zooki, Koko.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
Repairing/replacing the aluminum skin is futile until the source of the problem is resolved. That source may be water behind the skin. Electrolysis is not selective, those bad spots are only what is visible. The same action is ongoing wherever water/moisture is behind the skin.

Were it me, I would patch the bad spots with bondo, repaint patches, and sell; OR DH use it as a mobile hunting lodge.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
Which RV to keep

I would take the RV to a dealership that has a body/painting shop. Have them give you an estimate on the body work. Have them do a thorough inspection of the inside. Also get an estimate on the first RV for a paint job. You could always use the second RV for parts. If DH has to do repairs you can always wear an industrial respirator. Keep us posted.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a trailer that had that problem. I went so far as to using a ground wire on the siding to see if that would stop it. It didn't. I always wondered if it was a chemical reaction to the glue used. It seemed to happen right at the floor line. Anyway, I'm not sure there is a solution to this problem and with mine I patched it and sold it. The next rig and subsequent ones did not have this problem.
Doug Sage
Full timers roaming the good old US of A
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 38J
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
It may make more sense to sell both outright or trade and buy something turn key. I guess it depends on how you will use it.
2016 Jayflight 32 BHDS Fiberglass sides. Golf cart
06' Chevy CC Dually 6.0. 20k hitch NO w/d bars. 16" wheels & LT TIRES
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
Take it then sell, or patch then sell. Patching and selling would get the most money.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #13
If its road salt corrosion you will also find the chassis is very well rusted all over. I have a buddy w/an 07 Alpine who wintered in Michigan w/kids every year till recently. Frame is way rusted.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #14
I'd walk away from it....

If it's already yours, sell it on a "best offer" basis, and don't expect much for it.

Patching it, unless you're pretty good at it with the time and money to do it right, will look as bad as the damaged did prior, and you won't get an extra penny for your trouble.

When this coach was built, the MH manfs were trying a treated luan (thin plywood) under layment to try and eliminate the already well known issues involved with "de-lam" damage. They were sold a bill of goods by the luan supplier, as not only did the luan rot/delaminate as bad as the untreated luan did, this new stuff caused the alum. to corrode! Now these smart engineer types, they decided maybe fiberglass wouldn't corrode? So that's what we got next...

That fixed the corrosion issues like this one has - but not the rotting luan/under layment issue. They're STILL working on that one....

Seems pretty basic to me, but what do I know?

1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote